Did I bust a Reg?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cookmg said:
I am a little concerned about this following me in my career though? Should I be?

Dewd...Concerned about what? Did they call ya? Did anyone say anything to ya? Was the freaq full of people complaining about the "alleged" safety violation? No, so fill out the form and take it easy

there should be a nasa report in the back of the far/aim. you just mail it to the nasa center in ca. if not , it should be on the web somewhere.

Where were you flying? I don't know of any military bases that are class B. If the tower ddin't say anything to you, don't worry about it. The NASA report probably wouldn't hurt but then you are advertising the fact that you did something wrong. I would be certain that I violated some reg before saying anything to anyone.

Yeah, nobody, including all controllers involved seemed alarmed. I was probably only in the Delta for a few seconds before I had climbed above the ceiling. The controllers were in the middle of a controller change and probably didn't even notice that I had penetrated the Delta.

The airfield I was flying to was montgomery field in San Deigo. Mirarmar is a Class Bravo airfield. It's kind of weird because I was NOT talking to approach, just to the Bravo Tower directly. This procedure is "standard" or atleast acceptable down here.

Now, like the last poster said, am I advertising a violation that no one may have noticed by filing a NASA report? What does this report mean? What actions might be taken?

Thanks everybody. And, yes . . . I will relax.

Can someone please respond to whether or not I could have "told" the Bravo controller that I was changing my flight path to avoid the Delta airspace. Is that legal? I didn't have time to request a new heading.

Mike

I would definitely not worry about that following you in your career that is a very minor infraction in a confusing situation.

I think your idea about calling the tower and asking them about it is a great idea. I might pose it as a hypothetical situation. I know that the tower at the Class D airport I worked at would LOVE to hear somebody ask them a question like that. Hopefully your tower is as helpful.

Was the class D surrounded by class B on all sides? If so, you were in a bind. I can think of two things you could have done.
1.) You could have been more insistent with the class D controller, and called him back after a very short wait. He might have gotten irritated with you, but at least you'd be legal.
2.) Call the B controller back and tell him tower is busy, and ask for 360's in your present position or something. This might irritate the B controller, but again: you'd be legal.

Unless it is for the safety of flight it is usually a bad idea to "tell" a controller what you are doing. They don't like that too much. You can make a request, and see what they say. They may have a better idea. I know one thing that the tower where I flew HATED was when a pilot about to enter the pattern told the tower that they were going to do a 360 for spacing. The controllers would rather give you a wider downwind than have you flying circles in the pattern. It really screwed things up They almost always asked a pilot to call the tower for doing that. They buster their balls but didn't report them.

A little off topic: It's a good idea to go "hang out" in the tower when you get the opportunity. You really get an appreciation for what they do and why they hate certain behaviors. Since September 11th, you can't just ring the bell and go on up anymore. I beleive you must have an appointment. Anyway, I knew the controllers on a first name basis, and it made me a much better pilot when I learned what I could do to make their job easier.

Our controllers were also VERY cool. The tower manager kept them on a short leash, but they loved him. It was a very well run tower, and probably the most helpful group of controllers anywhere.

We would phone them before doing touch and goes and ask for a go-around on our 3rd landing. They'd do it right on short short final. It was a great simulation for pre-solo students. Except when they'd forget and ask us if we wanted a go around the next time. Kind of spoiled the surprise.

ASRS Report

The previous post are right concerning the ASRS report. I looked it up in my aviation law book. Go ahead and get a copy from your nearest FSDO (or online, if you can find it) ,fill it out and send it in. It must be completed and sent to NASA within 10 days of the occurence. The good thing is the FAA can't request it! So this would be a little insurance even though nobody probably cares about the whole incident anyway. Better to be safe than sorry.

I bet it is fun flyin out there with the F-14's!

Let me know if I can help any further.

This is a good book! General Aviation Law (practical flying series)
2nd edition
Jerry A. Eichenberger

I would think that something like this would only be pursued if the person on duty etc. just had a burr in the wrong spot or it caused another aircraft a problem.

RT

I had a strange deal like this in the Houston Cl B a year or so ago. I left Hobby for Ellington. Got to the perimeter of the B and was told to contact EFD twr. When I contacted them ,they had no idea who I was. Asked me if I knew I had just left Cl B airspace.

I told them I was VFR with departure out of HOU. They were pretty busy, so I threw in an appology for the confusion. I got to land & never heard any more about it. It was a busy afternoon and I'm sure departure just dumped me off to EFD without telling them first.

I wouldn't worry about a NASA form following you around for the rest of your career. These forms are completely anonomys and the FAA, or anybody else for that matter, cannot use them against you. NASA gathers the information from these forms to try to imporve safety. Some people reference these NASA forms to a "get out of jail free" card. There are of course limitations on the use of these forms. For example you could not illegally smuggle drugs in from Mexico in your airplane and then fill out a NASA form and get away with it! Read up on this topic some more so you can learn more about it. Don't wait too long on filling one out though... like others have said you only have 10 days from the day of the occurance. I would relax if I were you. I seriously doubt anything will come of this from what you have posted here. Like I said before, 95% of the time, the controllers will let you know if you are in trouble. This was just a learning experience for you.

Latest resources

Back