Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Did FAPA really try to reach an agreement??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a couple of friends there to and have been scared to call them during all of this.

Yes Southwest is what I would have wanted for them, but they didn't have a choice.

That's what is ticking me off about all of these negative posts.

There are numerous threads asking to hear from ticked off F9 pilots...what does that acutally do for them? Make WN guys feel better?

There is no doubt the deal you were giving them was superior (that's an understatement), but I don't understand what else you want from these guys.

Sure there are a couple of F9ers trying to beat you guys back with tough words, but I'd imagine the majority are just trying to pick up the pieces and eat what they've been served.

They didn't have a choice...let it lie. Getting them all worked up isn't going to change anything.

Southwest lost and they a going nuts, i had no idea the pilot group was so hateful. And the level of arrogance is mind blowing. I hope RAH puts the money needed into F9 so they can show WN the door at DEN.
Since when have all these SWA guys know what RAH plan is. They make these wild ass statements about furloughs and aircraft leases and plans....i guarantee NONE of these SWA guys were at any of the board meetings discussing short or long term plans.
I have great respect for WN one of my favorite carrier to fly....but i am losing respect for that great airline the more i read posts from their employees. I know there are ass hats at every company but the level of angst from losing their bid for F9 is astounding.
GET OVER IT!!!!
Good luck to F9 and RAH...BB has always proven to make money and expand airlines.
SWA good luck at riding yourself of your arrogant problem children, they're making you all look bad.
En Mort Main

Southwest lost and they a going nuts, i had no idea the pilot group was so hateful. And the level of arrogance is mind blowing. I hope RAH puts the money needed into F9 so they can show WN the door at DEN.
Since when have all these SWA guys know what RAH plan is. They make these wild ass statements about furloughs and aircraft leases and plans....i guarantee NONE of these SWA guys were at any of the board meetings discussing short or long term plans.
I have great respect for WN one of my favorite carrier to fly....but i am losing respect for that great airline the more i read posts from their employees. I know there are ass hats at every company but the level of angst from losing their bid for F9 is astounding.
GET OVER IT!!!!
Good luck to F9 and RAH...BB has always proven to make money and expand airlines.
SWA good luck at riding yourself of your arrogant problem children, they're making you all look bad.
En Mort Main

You have your facts wrong. You should calm down. Go get some milk and a cookie. SWA didn't "lose". RAH ripped up a $150 million IOU. That made the creditors happy. SWA's CEO made a pledge to his employees (name 1 other airline CEO that has ever done that) and the creditors didn't like that pledge.

It appears SWAPA got punked.

This deal was probably done a month ago...just had to go through the motions.

In the end no one probably had a choice because agreements had been made way before SW entered the scene.

If Southwest wouldn't have tried to be sneaky and do this all at the last minute the results might have been different.

The problem was that SWA apparently was completely unprepared. They hadn't done their homework and judging by their press releases thought that they could by-pass the F9 employees with a cram down hire as needed deal. When they finally figured out that this wasn't a Ch 7 asset sale and that Federal Law does actually apply to SWA they scrambled to try and get SWAPA and FAPA to work it out. I give SWAPA credit for putting in an effort to negotiate, and FAPA credit for not surrendering their rights, but SWA management blew it. If they wanted to buy F9 they should have done significantly more ground work far in advance, offered a JCBA with pay parity on day one, offered an equity stake and had the two pilot groups negotiating far in advance with a commitment to a fair process for seniority integration that would give each side fair treatment with the goal of a fair and equitable seniority list that balances the equities each pilot group brings to the merger before SOC. A couple of days is not nearly enough to resolve seniority issues.

Again, even though both positions seem extreme, good job to both SWAPA and FAPA, they just weren't given a reasonable amount of time to work this out. Good luck to all.

You have your facts wrong. You should calm down. Go get some milk and a cookie. SWA didn't "lose". RAH ripped up a $150 million IOU. That made the creditors happy. SWA's CEO made a pledge to his employees (name 1 other airline CEO that has ever done that) and the creditors didn't like that pledge.

I believe the DAL/NWA merger didn't go through till seniority ( or at least a set plan/date that it would be worked out one way or another) was figured out either, it's not a about a pledge, it's about smart business.

After the Cactus/Airways mess it's kind of standard practice.

We'll see how Republic handles this whole mess...he might have bit off more than he can chew this time.

Last edited:
From the sound of things they didn't even want to talk.

I don't think there was enough time to get it done. This all started out as a cram down offer. SWA should have enticed both pilot groups to work together on establishing a fair process to arrive at a fair list. What SWA really wanted was to avoid the AWA/AAA mess, they could have done that, but not by springing this proposed acquisition at the last minute and intitially proceeding as if the F9 pilots and employees had no rights.

I believe the DAL/NWA merger didn't go through till seniority ( or at least a plan of a set arbitration date) was worked out either, it's not a about a pledge, it's about smart business.

After the Cactus/Airways mess it's kind of standard practice.

We'll see how Republic handles this whole mess...he might have bit off more than he can chew this time.

This wasn't a merger. It was a purchase. You must be mgmt. That's why you think making a pledge to your employees is not smart business.

This wasn't a merger. It was a purchase.

It doesn't matter for the purposes of seniority list integrations. F9 was not in ch7. Technically AWA purchased AAA and DAL purchased NWA, so what. The nature of a business transaction has no place in seniority list integration.

This wasn't a merger. It was a purchase. You must be mgmt. That's why you think making a pledge to your employees is not smart business.

You don't need to be management to figure out that it is preferable to have your labor groups playing nice together before you spend a bunch of money verse end up with the Cactus/Airways mess.

Your version sounds better though. I think you have a great company. It's profitable it does not sacrifice the happiness of it's employees. Extremely happy for you. I wish my Frontier buddies could have had it as well...but what's done is done.

Hopefully your CEO has enough goodwill to pony up a TA worthy of your "yes" vote. He's definitely gained some popularity points out of this deal...might as well keep it coming right?

Take care bud. Have yourself a couple of coldies and let this go.

Latest resources

Back