Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jon-Kyle Mohr

Hey fellas,
I'm going to be taking my intro flight here pretty soon. The local schools have both Katanas and C172s. I'm interested if any one has any time logged in the Katana, as I'm sure every one has at least an hour or so in the 172.

What are the differences between the stick and yoke, as in which do you prefer, and are there differences in handling and sensitivity? How do you also compare the high wing to the low wing (I can see a flame war coming...)?

And last but not least, which do you suggest I go up in? I've been up in the 172 a couple times right seat, so I have a pretty good idea of how it handles. I'm leaning towards to Katana, just to get a new experience. It would be my first ride in a stick/low wing aircraft.

Try the Katana.

It is a bit more sensitive than a 172. To me, the 172 flies like an old pickup truck.

The seat geometry was awkward for me, but you get used to it.

Also, with the Katana, you use the rudder to level the wings in bumpy air.

I thought the Katana was fun to fly, but it sure got hot in the cabin quick.

Leave the canopy open until ready for departure.

Last edited:
Personally, I like the Katana for all the reasons the second poster said. I think there are some differences that will come through once you take your licenses, that will show the 172 to be better in some aspects, and the Katana to be better in others.

You cannot take two adults, sleeping bags and overnight bags in a Katana, but your friend that is meeting you where you plan on camping, will be glad to carry those things in his Cessna 205 till you get there....if you know what I mean.

However, for two up flying or solo flying, you cannot compare the Katana against the 172...it is a hoot. It is like driving a motorcycle in the sky.

Compare the Katana to the 152 or the Tomahawk...compare the warrior to the 172. Apples and oranges.

In Cessna we trust

In Cessna we trust. 50 bazillian taught can't be wrong.

I really couldn't say, all I know about the Katana is the Air Academy uses them here and seem to do pretty good with them. I'd say go with the Katana if you're comfortable in it unless there was a price advantage, or if there was an advantage of learning a glass cockpit etc. The stick/yoke shouldn't be a factor- if youlearn the stick, you'll easily conver to a yoke later.

Good luck whichever way you go!

FN FAL: Exactly, great comparison. Since this is strictly a intro flight I'm 99% sure I'll go with the Katana, thanks for the info :)

JRSLim: The Katanas are $90 dry here, 172 is an astonishing $115 dry. Since this is a intro flight it does'nt matter, but there is defiantly a price advantage if I go with a Katana for flight training.

I have several hours in the Diamond Eclipse which is sorta like the 172SP of the Katana world. I was strictly a Cessna guy before making the yoke to stick transition, and I have to say that I like the Diamon products better for various reasons.

1) The type of flying I am doing is usually solo/with a single passenger, so room isn't exactly an issue.

2) The fun factor is way up there. These things are a hoot to fly. Comparing them with anything Cessna makes really isn't fair. Completely different animals here.

Yes, the cockpit does get hot with that canopy over your head. The ride can get bumpy at times due to the weight of the plane and it's design, so if you get sick easy this may not be the plane for you.

They glide like crazy! Be prepared to make a "picture" adjustment on when to start pulling back power on final, the plane will not want to come down.

The Katana/Eclipse does not have a steerable nose wheel. You need to taxi the plane using the brakes and aileron deflection. Since you don't have much time in any plane transitioning to a craft with a steerable nose wheel in the future will be a nice bonus.

As mentioned the seats are a little strange, but you get used to them after awhile. I have been extremely impressed with the Eclipse and am really starting to like these plastic planes.

Most importantly have fun and stick to a single plane during your training. The urge to switch between two models may be tempting, but you really need to master one first.

Good luck!

Peter

Katana or 172? It makes absolutely no difference at all - you get the same license when it's all over with. As far as aircraft go, go with the one that you can get the best deal on. What really matters is your instructor - search out and find the best one you can find.

'Sled

Last edited:
e12pilot: Thanks, exactly what I was looking for! I hear those bucket seats can get put a bit of strain on the rear end in long XC flights :p

Lead Sled: Simply want to know what peoples opinion is on these aircraft. Why care about what care you have, any will get you were you need to got ;)

gkrangers: Argh, I know! :p

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back