• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Diamond DA-42 Twinstar rental?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It depends on the mechanic and the size of the "A". Cost and downtime are pretty close to sheet metal repair. Composite repair tends to look much better after the fact, in most cases you can't visibly tell there was damage. Rather than replacing ribs and skin all the way back to the spar and root, composite repair is usually limited to the damaged area.
I would find an experienced mechanic to help you out on this. There are some out there. If a mechanic has never done it before, it can be a PITA. I know a guy in WA that has been doing it for a while and is very good. Depends on who you are talking to.

The beauty of message boards, spreading misinformation to the masses. I suppose they will explode if hit by lightning as well??
Perhaps the high cost of rental has to do with the capital investment? The hull value on this is much higher than some old beater Duchess, so I suppose insurance would be priced accordingly?

The beauty of message boards.. nobody can tell when you're exagerating.

Insurance is higher because they're more suseptible to hull loss. That comes straight from the insurance co.

Brand new seminoles are $215/hour in Colorado.

g

Last edited:
It depends on the mechanic and the size of the "A". Cost and downtime are pretty close to sheet metal repair. Composite repair tends to look much better after the fact, in most cases you can't visibly tell there was damage. Rather than replacing ribs and skin all the way back to the spar and root, composite repair is usually limited to the damaged area.
I would find an experienced mechanic to help you out on this. There are some out there. If a mechanic has never done it before, it can be a PITA. I know a guy in WA that has been doing it for a while and is very good. Depends on who you are talking to.

Something else I was wondering about are the engines. I read a few months ago that the majority of the DA42's would be sold with IO-360 engines instead of the diesels due to lack of mx support across the country. The diesel's may sip fuel, but the composite airframe + new engine technology + new fuel delivery technology has got to be what's jacking the rent price up.

I hate insurance companies. Charging you extra for what might happen. It's killing the rental market.

g

Last edited:
I read a few months ago that the majority of the DA42's would be sold with IO-360 engines instead of the diesels due to lack of mx support across the country.

I recently read that Diamond ceased pursuing the IO-360 option (I think it was the Flying article, but I could be wrong). They considered the option, then quit work on it. Anyway, given Thielert's acquisition of Superior Air Parts, they seem to be more commited to building that maintenance network in the US (at least in theory; I haven't tried to maintain one, so I don't know how good it actually is).

EDIT: Flying Magazine, July 2006 -

"Diamond has flown the Twin Star with conventional Lycoming engines to offer an alternative to those who don't want the diesels, but the product is not now in active devlopment."

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back