• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Diamond DA-42 Twinstar rental?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
O yeah I forgot a big one. Good luck flying this if you have less than 1000 total time and under 100 multi. Most insur. places won't let you fly solo unless you meet that.

Galvin Flying in Seattle has one for rent. The checkout procedure is pretty straight forward, you will need some time in type (DOE) before you blastoff solo, but not nearly as restrictive as posted above (worst case scenario 15 hours). I've got a bit more than 100 hours in the airplane and it seems to work well for me. TKS works great, outside a Mooney or Columbia the speed is OK, I have seen 172 KTAS BTW. The props will be sync'ed if you keep both power levers within a 1-2% of each other. The engines will quit if you lose all electrical power, but isn't the point of a twin redundancy? What is the likelyhood of dual alternator failure and loss of all battery power? Yes there is an outside chance it could happen, but I could get hit by a car crossing the street tomorrow. We are in the business of risk management, and I don't feel that dual alternators present a significant risk.
New students will not be at a true disadvantage in this airplane. Multi-engine aerodynamincs remain the same (with the exception of centerline thrust) in any other aircraft. If at some point they transition to a Baron or Seneca, they will need type specific training in that aircraft, regardless of what kind of multi they learned on. Any plane should be able to be flown by a well trained, competent pilot.

UVSC is $173 wet, but as I said above you have to be enrolled in some sort of program with them. That is to say, a part 61 or 141 class or a "continuing ed" program. (Not sure if that last one is still an option, it was about a year ago.)

Last edited:
Plastic planes... you hit a bird and you've got a hull-loss. go figure
The beauty of message boards, spreading misinformation to the masses. I suppose they will explode if hit by lightning as well??
Perhaps the high cost of rental has to do with the capital investment? The hull value on this is much higher than some old beater Duchess, so I suppose insurance would be priced accordingly?

Latest resources

Back