• Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dials or Glass? Your Preference?

• You Prefer Dials (ex. 737-200/DC-9)

Votes: 108 15.0%
  • You Prefer All-Glass (ex. B 737NG)

Votes: 610 85.0%

• Total voters
AK737FO said:
Easy Mach... You know that the Arctic Eagles can fly circles around any SEA or LAX guy - just ask us!
This company has an outstanding group of aviators. We have to, due to the environment in which we operate.
Unfortunatley, there are those who rely so heavily on the magic, that they stuggle if the magic is turned off and they have to look outside to fly a visual. I've seen it from the JS- cleared for a visual or runway change and both guys go heads down and start typing! The runway is right there fellas, no need to type, just fly.

Try turning your flight director off for a takeoff and see if the Captain doesn't have something to say. Try disconnecting everything at TOD, no autothrottles, no flight director, no map - go raw data HSI and see if the captain doesn't get a little grumpy. That is what I'm talking about. Now put one of those captains inbound to rwy 2 at OME, and you know what happens.

I am sure that you do a fine job and work hard to keep your skills sharp. Not everyone "outside" does.

On another note. Didn't you want to bid ANC? Did you get a slot on the last bid? It is a wet, slushy, sloppy day up here today - winter is on the way!
AK737FO
What a great post! I've never been into Nome myself. Would you mind expanding a bit and explaining what is the catch?
Thanks. :)

F/O said:
That's why you turn off the FD as well!! Then you don't have to command any button pushing at all, just ask the other guy to do whatever he needs to do to back you up :)

Thats exactly how I do it. Everything comes off, AP, AT, FD, and I tell the other guy to do what he needs for his display.

Glass panel? I love the fancy glass stuff. Steam gauges? Like that stuff too, not that picky about it. After flying a trip in a shiny NG 737 it's kinda nice to trot over to the local flight school and rent a Citabria for an hour or so. Steam gauges? It barely even has that! Just set the altimeter and you're good to go. Simple, basic, with a tailwheel and a stick... fun flying.

Too many glass pilots out there who can type 100 words a minute but couldn't fly a kite.What bothers me is former tprop guys who have never flown a jet before get into a glass cockpit and rely so heavily on the automation.They hand fly to cruise auto throttles and FD engaged which in my opinion is like manually controlling the autopilot. Then they use the autopilot until the the plane is fully configured and trimmed then hand fly the last 500 feet.This occurs on the most beautiful days.I mean don't they care about practicing their airmanship or more importantly ,for the rookies, getting a REAL feel for the airplane they "fly"? I just wish people would hand fly a little more. I have also heard about captains getting upset with the fo for turning off the autothrottles, I won't even get startrd on that.

fd

Glass - I like the magic. I just look at the PFD and let it do its thing.... I love watching TCAS as we enter a busy but unfamiliar pattern - I don't know how people used to get along without it...

Steam gauges and wood-burning VORs and NDBs.

Someday when all we have is the takeoff and land button, we'll wish we could reverse it.

All that future automation is gonna make it harder to demand good pay as well. Something to think about.

Save a job - outlaw an EFIS.

Guys who claim that glass = erosion of pilot skills, I think are off base. Lack of skills comes from relying too much on the AP/FD, nothing else, and even the "steam" jets have those.

Most Boeing glass CP's have the ability to reproduce standard HSI/RMI displays. Turn the fancy crap off, and let the software reproduce round nav guages if that's what you want. Tapes take some transition, but ultimately are no better or worse than round airspeed and altitude.

Glass gives you the ability to be as advanced or primitive as you want. Some days, when fatigue or laziness is a factor, all the magic comes on, and Otto flies... other days, hand flying around puffies to a visual is a joy.

I agree with those who have a beef with Herb K. The NG 737 is a horrible mash of old and new to retain commonality with the older 737's. The 737-800 is very similar to the 777 across the main panel (map/engines/PFD). Everywhere else (overhead and throttle pedestal), it retains the old 737 switchology. The 737-800 lack of eicas basically sucks. Even the lowly MD80 has a superior warning system.

My dream jet - 777 with side stick. Yokes are horrible. I'd like to go back in time and choke the life out of Glenn Curtiss, who installed a yoke on his airplanes for who knows what reason, maybe because it was like an automobile and looked familiar.

Latest resources

Back