• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dials or Glass? Your Preference?

• You Prefer Dials (ex. 737-200/DC-9)

Votes: 108 15.0%
  • You Prefer All-Glass (ex. B 737NG)

Votes: 610 85.0%

• Total voters
On a slam-dunk type of visual approach especially, when the work load is high, why not turn all that stuff off? If one guy is concentrating on slowing down and getting down, why should the other guy have to be messing with the MCP panel so that the flight director looks pretty and the autothrottles are in the right mode? You end up with too many eyeballs looking inside rather than outside. Once established and stabilized, you can then bring the goodies back on line if you want to. By this time, the other guy won't need a third hand to assist.

Last edited:
Glass vs. Steam? Glass, baby....no contest

I think the hand-flying discussion is interesting. I'm a hand-flyer up to at least the flight levels, but usually use the AP on approach until "cleared visual" or near the marker. The reason I don't hand-fly more descending is that I get tired of asking for the PNF to spin the knobs and push the buttons. I've kind of got used to hand-flying more going into the "spoke" airports and doing more AP when flying into the busy hubs.

ILStoMinimums said:
I'm on round dials now in the Twotter. But, believe it or not, we are getting all glass panels very shortly. Suppossedly the only dials left will be the engine gauges. Wonder how thats going to affect the guys flying it? ;)
I don't know your situation, but I would think you'll be getting pretty basic glass on an aircraft of that age. Like an EADI + EHSI, as opposed to a PFD/MFD setup.

So probably, it won't affect your pilots much. They will still have the same 6-pack, just with two EFIS tubes replacing those two instruments.

UALjan15 said:
The reason I don't hand-fly more descending is that I get tired of asking for the PNF to spin the knobs and push the buttons.
That's why you turn off the FD as well!! Then you don't have to command any button pushing at all, just ask the other guy to do whatever he needs to do to back you up :)

F/O said:
I don't know your situation, but I would think you'll be getting pretty basic glass on an aircraft of that age. Like an EADI + EHSI, as opposed to a PFD/MFD setup.

So probably, it won't affect your pilots much. They will still have the same 6-pack, just with two EFIS tubes replacing those two instruments.
Actually to clear things up we are getting Capstone Phase II installed which has a PFD dipsplay (both side) and a MFD.

Glass, of course??

Who wants to work when you can "Arm" something else to do it for you?

Notice guys who are "Real" pilots that hand fly to level-off still follow the flight director? They are in a stabilized climb with the A/T on just climbing?

I flew both glass and steam at my last company. One day, glass and the next steam. I don't think my instrument skills deteriorated. I found that when flying steam it required much more work when I was most busy.

Anytime something new comes available to make the job easier, it is resisted, until you become comfortable using and understanding it. Next up will be the HUD. Previous was the GPS.

Glass is the clear winner.

I would like to take issue with this. You make it sound as if those outside of the "arctic eagle" base cannot fly the jet visually. You are wrong my friend. I will leave at that.

AK737FO said:
Steam power baby! I'll take the round dials any day.

By the time I hang up my hat, the 700 will be considered old technology. I'm enjoying the heck out of flying the old stuff now, because it won't be around much longer (2007 supposedly for the 200).

It is alwys fun to have one of our SEA or LAX guy in the jump seat. You hear them say things like, "how do you do an arc without a map?" or "how do you do that without your noodle on the purple line?" Ummmm, I use the RMI and I know where I'm at in my head... Now if i could only figure out a way to fly the 200 and get PV layovers in Feb life would be perfect!

I have flown glass and the 700 rocks for situational awareness, but there is no doubt that after a few years of all glass, a guys basic skills will be hurting. Some of my SEA friends crack me up when they say they fly the 700 without the autopilot. Their idea of "flying it" consists of turning off the flight director for a visual. I have heard from instructors that the #1 maneuver in SEA that needs "extra" training in recurrent is the visual approach. This is sad, but it is a bi-product of glass.

Gotcha!

Easy Mach... You know that the Arctic Eagles can fly circles around any SEA or LAX guy - just ask us!
This company has an outstanding group of aviators. We have to, due to the environment in which we operate.
Unfortunatley, there are those who rely so heavily on the magic, that they stuggle if the magic is turned off and they have to look outside to fly a visual. I've seen it from the JS- cleared for a visual or runway change and both guys go heads down and start typing! The runway is right there fellas, no need to type, just fly.

Try turning your flight director off for a takeoff and see if the Captain doesn't have something to say. Try disconnecting everything at TOD, no autothrottles, no flight director, no map - go raw data HSI and see if the captain doesn't get a little grumpy. That is what I'm talking about. Now put one of those captains inbound to rwy 2 at OME, and you know what happens.

I am sure that you do a fine job and work hard to keep your skills sharp. Not everyone "outside" does.

On another note. Didn't you want to bid ANC? Did you get a slot on the last bid? It is a wet, slushy, sloppy day up here today - winter is on the way!
AK737FO

No worries mate, I just get tired of some attitudes that indicate the ANC base are the only ones that can fly and everyone else still has training wheels. I also agree that we have some exceptional aviators and some that do to much typing. You will start to see that with the 400 base in ANC and the introduction to RNP. The NG, you cannot even get a basic HSI display.

I did not bid ANC. I love the summers, but no thanks on 10 months of winter and darkness. I flew the 200 for two different companies and have no desire to do that again and I have the 4/7/8/9 in SEA. I would also be divorced if I tried getting my wife up there.

AK737FO said:
Easy Mach... You know that the Arctic Eagles can fly circles around any SEA or LAX guy - just ask us!
This company has an outstanding group of aviators. We have to, due to the environment in which we operate.
Unfortunatley, there are those who rely so heavily on the magic, that they stuggle if the magic is turned off and they have to look outside to fly a visual. I've seen it from the JS- cleared for a visual or runway change and both guys go heads down and start typing! The runway is right there fellas, no need to type, just fly.

Try turning your flight director off for a takeoff and see if the Captain doesn't have something to say. Try disconnecting everything at TOD, no autothrottles, no flight director, no map - go raw data HSI and see if the captain doesn't get a little grumpy. That is what I'm talking about. Now put one of those captains inbound to rwy 2 at OME, and you know what happens.

I am sure that you do a fine job and work hard to keep your skills sharp. Not everyone "outside" does.

On another note. Didn't you want to bid ANC? Did you get a slot on the last bid? It is a wet, slushy, sloppy day up here today - winter is on the way!
AK737FO

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back