• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dials or Glass? Your Preference?

• You Prefer Dials (ex. 737-200/DC-9)

Votes: 108 15.0%
  • You Prefer All-Glass (ex. B 737NG)

Votes: 610 85.0%

• Total voters
Since this thread started, I've gone from the CRJ (glass, no autothrust) to the Airbus 320, to the Gulfstream 450 and now back to the A320.

Moose is right! HUD is where it's at. You are looking right where you are aimed at, you've got more trend clues than you can possibly pay attention to, and with the EVS (FLIR) in the Gulfstream it is damn near impossible to hit anything unless you really want to. www.gulfstreamplaneview.com

Now they are going to upgrade the Planeview with synthetic vision, a forward PFD view of database terrain and the flight path vector. Too bad we will never see this in commercial aviation. OTOH, the G bird has the most antiquated basic systems I've flown since the DC-3!

I love the bus, but put the Gulfstream cockpit in it and make the darn throttles move. Once you become one with the HUD, you are spoiled for life!

Since this thread started, I've gone from the CRJ (glass, no autothrust) to the Airbus 320, to the Gulfstream 450 and now back to the A320.

Moose is right! HUD is where it's at. You are looking right where you are aimed at, you've got more trend clues than you can possibly pay attention to, and with the EVS (FLIR) in the Gulfstream it is dang near impossible to hit anything unless you really want to. www.gulfstreamplaneview.com

Now they are going to upgrade the Planeview with synthetic vision, a forward PFD view of database terrain and the flight path vector. Too bad we will never see this in commercial aviation. OTOH, the G bird has the most antiquated basic systems I've flown since the DC-3!

I love the bus, but put the Gulfstream cockpit in it and make the darn throttles move. Once you become one with the HUD, you are spoiled for life!

Wow, I am surprised you left a good G450 gig to return to the airlines... Where can I apply for your old job because I would love to fly that airplane (PMs encouraged...)?

That being said, I am too spoiled with the glass. There is no way you are putting me in a 727 (even though it is a venerable and very fast aircraft) where I have to do all of the mental math myself - yeah, that's a sad commentary but one that many people share I am afraid. Plus, the glass is so much better for situational awareness.

but the 727 rocks for sheer joy of flight !

Wow, I am surprised you left a good G450 gig to return to the airlines... Where can I apply for your old job because I would love to fly that airplane (PMs encouraged...)?

Um, I never said it was a good gig. You can apply to FlightSafety International in SAV. Great people, a world class training facility. They start at $70K yearly salary and will type you. Schedule is feast or famine, mostly 7 on 2 off. FAR 142 has no duty rules other than 8 hrs of instruction in 24. Typical day is 9/10 hours including the prep time and paperwork.

Oh, you will never fly for a client on your days off, as you never know your schedule. Don't worry, your schedule will change daily anyway.

So apply away. The type won't do you any good unless you have a corporate background. It was a great time playing in the sim, and you will do a lot of seat sub work when you start, so you will be one of the most proficient non flying pilots around. I really enjoyed watching the smile on guys faces when they did the VOR into ASE in night snow shower conditions. Then we would give them a V1 cut on the way out, high, hot & heavy. That HUD/EVS system was the best thing since sliced bread.

When I see old Diesel 9s or Diesel 10 cockpits it always reminds me of that scene from Airplane 1 where the guys gets into the cockpit and the camera focuses on the 707 dials and then pans to the right and keeps going on and on and on....

If you are used to glass in an RJ or advanced corporate jet, it would be difficult to lose it and go back to a Diesel 9 (NWA or the freight operators). To go from great situational awareness (nav displays and TCAS superimposed on displays - nice) to zip and a reliance on maps would be like taking candy from a baby................ I am sure the old farts ("real flyers") who flew DC-3s on these boards will disagree.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back