• Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dials or Glass? Your Preference?

• You Prefer Dials (ex. 737-200/DC-9)

Votes: 108 15.0%
  • You Prefer All-Glass (ex. B 737NG)

Votes: 610 85.0%

• Total voters
ron burgundy said:
As i was climbing through fl 230 out of ATL today and realized that I had not even opened my flight bag yet........ glass.....

Flight Bag!? Ours goes away 9/28!! Definitely glass! :D

Last edited:
When it comes to single-engine aircraft, I subscribe to my bosses theory: the cockpit's biggest dial should be right in the middle and labeled "Oil Pressure".

I fly a steam gauge equipped 727,no FMS, I hear glass makes the job easier,so,Bring it on ! ah well, probably our next airplane, in the meantime I will enjoy flying the 3 engine Pteyrodactyl, making lots of noise,and trailing copious clouds of black smoke.

The best of both worlds!
On the DC-10 we have steam driven flight instruments to keep up a proficient scan, but also have the glow in the dark GPS for enhanced Nav and S/A capability.

30 west, don't forget our autothrottles (designed and installed long before anyone had even heard about glass) and the soon to arrive electronic flightbag.
Steam gauges to do the work, glass to supplement it

Glass cockpits are why pilots will never earn $300,000 salaries again. Look! The plane flies itself, lands itself, and I can check stock quotes from the cockpit!

In case you're interested there was an article in AW&ST October 16, 2006 p. 66 that talks about the future of glass. It goes in depth about a new PFD display that "will become the standard format that makes the EADI/HSI combination obsolete."

DIALS, I like dials and my brain vs. glass and some geeeks brainbox. Pilot vs engineer. Two different waves. Just like wanting my last flight in the service to be an F-4 instead of an F-16. I want to fly it. And a Flight Attendant told me once, she preferred dials.

Latest resources

Back