• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DHL's MAD WORLD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While it sucks for you losing your jobs, the fact is that this is just a change of contractors for DHL from you to us.

Just a contractor. Wow. We've got guys that were hired by DHL (not "Astar") over 20 years ago. Our scope clause was with DHL. We are STILL 49% owned by DHL. DHL resorted to all sorts of wrangling, restructuring (the airline spin-off), twisting and turning in the courts to find a loophole in our scope clause and exploit it - and they were somewhat successful at it. Management wins, pilots loose.

While I expect that kind of behavior from airline management, I am somewhat surprised that there is another pilot sitting in the wings, wringing his hands in anticipation to take advantage of all of it - seemingly cheering for DHL managements efforts to gut our scope.

I guess pilots really are their own worst enemy.

Last edited:
Astar was not and that was ABX. They did not have a Scope clause with DHL.

You still are not answering the question.

I and the IPA would not cross a legal picket line. Like Brownie said, if you guys went on strike, the shippers would quickly switch to UPS and FedEx and when they did, the volume would no longer be DHL volume it would be our volume and therefore I and the IPA would carry it.

During our strike in 97, Airborne's ops were bursting at the seams from all the UPS volume they were carrying.
BULLCRAP on carrying UPS freight at least in UPS colors/packaging. The aircrews were looking for the Brown and it was made clear we were not flying struck goods. Thats not to say that sales/management didn't pick customers/freight because of the strike but (i assume) it was airborne freight in abx colors and not rebadged.
Why do you BTB spend so much time starting trouble on here between ABX/ASTAR or on other boards with the FedX posts. (qtr results)
We are all in the same ship and its just our turn in the toilet bowl. Do you think Eastern/PanAM guys from the sixties ever thought their demise was coming??? I hope we all find jobs that last a career with management who loves us and respects us, BUT.
Oh Well
WickedRide

Just a contractor. Wow. We've got guys that were hired by DHL (not "Astar") over 20 years ago. Our scope clause was with DHL. We are STILL 49% owned by DHL. DHL resorted to all sorts of wrangling, restructuring (the airline spin-off), twisting and turning in the courts to find a loophole in our scope clause and exploit it - and they were somewhat successful at it. Management wins, pilots loose.

While I expect that kind of behavior from airline management, I am somewhat surprised that there is another pilot sitting in the wings, wringing his hands in anticipation to take advantage of all of it - seemingly cheering for DHL managements efforts to gut our scope.

I guess pilots really are their own worst enemy.

Once again, I and the rest of the IPA pilots are truly sorry to hear about what's going on up there. But some of you guys make it seem like it's our fault and want some form of compensation from the IPA. What do you want us to do, quit so you guys can take our place at UPS flying "your" freight?

I would like to think that if UPS found a legal loophole in your scope clause (and you KNOW they are always looking) that our pilot group would state that we would not be interested in hauling UPS freight (and I think you would expect us to do that).

Regardless, I certainly wouldn't be on a webboard arguing your managements point of why they should be able to ship their freight on us. Talk about rubbing salt in wounds - calling 20 DHL veterans just "just a contractor"? Dang, man.

Last edited:
I flew the majority of my career (21+years) working for DHL as an employee, not a contractor.

And yes, DHL signed a scope agreement with me as an employee, not a contractor.

Please stop trying to lump Astar as just another contractor. The history here goes much deeper than that.

"Once you get them running, you stay right on top of them, and that way a small force can defeat a large one every time... Only thus can a weaker country cope with a stronger; it must make up in activity what it lacks in strength." - Gen. Stonewall Jackson[/quote]

Well then wtf is this?

Again, if you'd pay attention...

It's my response to some folks at Brown A. Telling those of us at AStar, that we really should not fight this thing because there's no way to win against the Brown/Yellow freight train AND B. Giving us all the never thought of admonition that we should maybe update our resumes and and start sending out apps.(Woo hoo...thanks for THAT tip!! Yall must work for Kit Darby.)

That's WTF that is.

Latest resources

Back