• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dhl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey TWA, do you have a new job? If so how do you like it?

I think you would find public money in all of them. In fact, Flying Tigers hired me to oversee the construction and implementation of a deal as a citizen, I thought was embarassing in its generosity with public money.
The point is that it does not make a difference whether you are the biggest employer or not in however many counties. These hubs have come and gone for many years. The airlines that serve them have come and gone as well. Literally all of them received public funds as communities fought for them. None of them were paid back.
In none of them, was any saving program discussed.

While reading this thread about the loss of a hub, it started me thinking about the others that had stopped and the airlines that served them.
Purolator actually hubbed at Lane Aviation in Columbus before Indiannapolis. Yes while Flying Tigers was bought by Fedex, the hub was shut down from what it would be. CF and Emery were separate first.
USP opened with Evergreen at Terre Haute and at Las Vegas. Connie and others flew the routes. Eventually Tom Christopher and Kitty Hawk took part.
UPS did not close but remember companies like Rosenbalm and Ryan.
CF and Emery were separate before together.
My point is that DHL is not the first, nor will it be the last. The communities they were in all survived.
I'm trying to think of other USPS hubs. I could have sworn I heard they had operations at RNO and somewhere in Tennessee at some point (MQY maybe?) I thought they had some other operation out west at one time or another (SMF maybe?) That may have all been seasonal stuff though. Moving on, Emery operated ten PMPCs until 2001, and the USPS is in the middle of restructuring their entire network.

Fedex of course went on to take over the old Purolator facility @ IND.

Last one, I promise. WPX merged with or was purchased by APX, I think they shut down a lot of stuff. APX went bankrupt a few years later. WPX's courier side still exists and I think they started doing parcel work again but I'm not really sure what the hell the deal is with that whole mess.

Noteworthy

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSee...ath=PSSKGT3&psa=1&Job_DID=J3F7GQ63YM52K246SZC

and:
Part Time Package Sorters Reference Number: US - 19060
Please be advised that this warehouse is subject to a Collective Bargaining Agreement and as such new associates will also be subject to the Agreement. This is a part time position. The Am Shift is 6:00 am - 9:00 am. The PM shift is 9 pm -12 am. Starting hourly pay is $10/hour.

You may also apply in person at the following DHL location, Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm and Wednesday from 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm.

DHL
3221 Mineola Pike
Erlanger, KY 41018

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSee...ath=PSSKGT3&psa=1&Job_DID=J3F7GQ63YM52K246SZC

and:
Part Time Package SortersReference Number: US - 19060
Please be advised that this warehouse is subject to a Collective Bargaining Agreement and as such new associates will also be subject to the Agreement. This is a part time position. The Am Shift is 6:00 am - 9:00 am. The PM shift is 9 pm -12 am. Starting hourly pay is $10/hour.

You may also apply in person at the following DHL location, Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm and Wednesday from 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm.

DHL
3221 Mineola Pike
Erlanger, KY 41018

It would appear DHL is, at the very least, preparing a fallback position should the negotiations with UPS fail. Further, it would appear they have every intention of bending ILN and Ohio over a barrel come what may. At a guess, they plan to try to get Ohio to take over the ILN airpark and have someone else pick the $350m bond issue for the "new" F sort or get the state to forgive the money somehow.

Last edited:
It would appear DHL is, at the very least, preparing a fallback position should the negotiations with UPS fail. Further, it would appear they have every intention of bending ILN and Ohio over a barrel come what may. At a guess, they plan to try to get Ohio to take over the ILN airpark and have someone else pick the $350m bond issue for the "new" F sort or get the state to forgive the money somehow.

While I'll agree with your premise that DHL is going to try to leverage OH for whatever they can, this job posting is for the station and has nothing to do with the CVG sort facility. The times listed is one tell but the address is the dead give away.

FAJ

It would appear DHL is, at the very least, preparing a fallback position should the negotiations with UPS fail.
These are strictly package handling/sorting positions. They are the ones who get packages from the vans to the containers, and from the containers back into the vans. Who actually flies them once they are in the containers is of no consequence to them or to the customer.

FWIW - DHL's ground handlers and office workers just signed a 5-year contract with the company which brought them into complete parity with similar positions at UPS. The new contract contains strong language regarding job protection, including scope and succssorship. So unless DHL pulls completely out of the U.S., their jobs will be pretty secure regardless of what happens to Astar or ABX.

How low is too low? DHL keeps losing customers left and right. How much lift is to drop that DHL can't turn around if the regulators stop the deal? And is that part of their plan, to reduce their packages to the point there is no turning back?

And the hits just keep on coming. I had heard that DHL just lost the IBM account. Thats right, the account that propelled Airborne Express to number 3, that was the corner stone to selling the "Airborne Express caters to businesses" niche in the US market has told DHL to bite wood. At the rate DHL keeps making disaster decisions there will be nothing left to transfer in 2009. No need for a UPS deal because there are no customers left.

Last edited:
Shooter,,, when are you going to get that they are pulling out of the US market, not trying to continue using UPS and keeping market share. It really does not matter if they stop the deal or not. They are out ofhere.

Latest resources

Back