• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
- Foreign ownership restrictions
- Duplicated vendors and overhead
- Ageing aircraft fleet
- Multiplicity of aircraft types
- Low fuel efficiency
- Mixed C/A Container configuration

1) Not solved by outsourcing to UPS. Half control with a merged ABXA/AStar group is better than no control and your competitors hand in your cookie jar.

2) If ABXA and AStar merged, problem solved.

3) This and point #5 I concede to DP. But still not unsurmountable.

4) This point makes no sense. ABXA: DC-9's and B767's. AStar: DC-8's, A300's and B727.

5) See point #3.

6) ABXA has enough door conversion slots to cover all the 767's that are economically feasible to convert and then some. The DC-9 fleet has about 8 or 10 (not sure, help me out here) deactivated door A/C that can be activated. The fleet will then be all C container.

ABXA & AStar folks:
Lets be realistic here. If a combined air fleet was to work for us, there would pain for both groups.

: Lots of DC-9's parked.
: The elimination of the A300 type.
: The elimination of the DC-8-73's unless they could be used as a charter aircraft in Latin America outside of the DHL network.
: The 727 is a gas hog three crew A/C. But it is flexible enough that I think it could stick around until a more suitable type is brought on. Until then, the 727 and the Door DC-9's stay.

This would give a merged ABXA/AStar group a B767, B727 & DC-9 fleet for use in the service of DHL with the 727 and -9 to be replaced ASAP. And the option to keep the DC-8-73 for outside work.

Of coarse all of this will be moot if ABXA and AStar management can not come to grips and offer an alternative to the UPS deal.

FAJ

FAJ, ABX said they have customers for the 767's (and to release them from dhl routes ASAP) and if they find customers for the 9's they will reactivate the cargo doors. If they do this via ABX or ATI who knows. But I doubt he will sell, again. Any idea if Das would sell to ABX?

That plus an extended tax break for DHL from the state and Wilmington may just be enough to have them change their mind, maybe.

Last edited:
- Foreign ownership restrictions

- Duplicated vendors and overhead
- Ageing aircraft fleet
- Multiplicity of aircraft types
- Low fuel efficiency
- Mixed C/A Container configuration

1) Not solved by outsourcing to UPS. Half control with a merged ABXA/AStar group is better than no control and your competitors hand in your cookie jar.

2) If ABXA and AStar merged, problem solved.

3) This and point #5 I concede to DP. But still not unsurmountable.

4) This point makes no sense. ABXA: DC-9's and B767's. AStar: DC-8's, A300's and B727.

5) See point #3.

6) ABXA has enough door conversion slots to cover all the 767's that are economically feasible to convert and then some. The DC-9 fleet has about 8 or 10 (not sure, help me out here) deactivated door A/C that can be activated. The fleet will then be all C container.

ABXA & AStar folks:
Lets be realistic here. If a combined air fleet was to work for us, there would pain for both groups.

: Lots of DC-9's parked.
: The elimination of the A300 type.
: The elimination of the DC-8-73's unless they could be used as a charter aircraft in Latin America outside of the DHL network.
: The 727 is a gas hog three crew A/C. But it is flexible enough that I think it could stick around until a more suitable type is brought on. Until then, the 727 and the Door DC-9's stay.

This would give a merged ABXA/AStar group a B767, B727 & DC-9 fleet for use in the service of DHL with the 727 and -9 to be replaced ASAP. And the option to keep the DC-8-73 for outside work.

Of coarse all of this will be moot if ABXA and AStar management can not come to grips and offer an alternative to the UPS deal.

FAJ

FAJ, I could not agree more. We need to get together and make this work. As painful as it sounds to take pay cuts and merge lists, that would be nothing compared to no job! Pass the word talk to your MEC as I have to your manegement as I have. Maybe we have a chance!

FAJ, ABX said they have customers for the 767's (and to release them from dhl routes ASAP) and if they find customers for the 9's they will reactivate the cargo doors. If they do they do this via ABX or ATI who knows. But I doubt he will sell, again. Any idea if Das would sell to ABX?

That plus an extended tax break for DHL from the state and Wilmington may just be enough to have them change their mind, maybe.

Does the new customers list include the non door 767's (I think you call them PC's right?) or just the door 767's ( again, SF's right? ). I think Daz could buy the PC's with conversion slots for each and the door -9's. Or you could be on to something and Daz might sell his crap to Joe and retire. But I think DHL might be more inclined to accept a vendor that was privately held. I also like your idea of Ohio and Wilmington stepping up. As I've said in another post, it is an election year and politicians look real good when they can say they saved thousands of jobs.

FAJ

This is a presentation, not a statement of facts or a guarantee of performance. I have reasons to doubt that they will achieve the results they've predicted, and only those results. Remember, the same people who are now proposing a "cure" for all of DHL's proiblems are the same ones who got us here in the first place.

I suspect that they made a very similar, and equally glowing, "presentation" when laying out their reasons for buying Airborne Express a few years ago.

Does the new customers list include the non door 767's (I think you call them PC's right?) or just the door 767's ( again, SF's right? ). I think Daz could buy the PC's with conversion slots for each and the door -9's. Or you could be on to something and Daz might sell his crap to Joe and retire. But I think DHL might be more inclined to accept a vendor that was privately held. I also like your idea of Ohio and Wilmington stepping up. As I've said in another post, it is an election year and politicians look real good when they can say they saved thousands of jobs.

FAJ

Thousands of jobs and a WHOLE community. The thousands at ABX will snowball into many other jobs across Clinton county.

We are just the worker bees and who knows what the suits can or can't do to save our jobs. They all have theirs, so it's how much they want to do.

I would think dhl would retain their portion of Astar in a sale. That would make dhl part owner of ABX Air and not Holdings i.e. ATI, CAM and Cappy. But I don't really know what they could do. Question is, will they?

Latest resources

Back