DHL pulls the plug on Astar's.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GoABX said:
<<ALL DHL CORE PROUCT will be flown by PILOTS on the ASTAR PILOTS SENORITY LIST.>>

So just to clarify your position does this "Include" or "Not include" the flying done by ABX Air prior to the purchase of ABF?

Technically....Yes it does. Could Astar do it....No. But DHL should have acknowledged what they agreed to and sat down with the Astar MEC and woked out a solution. What would that have been? Who knows, but some type of merger, although painful at first would have been best for all in the long run. With Astar's scope being blown, its just a matter of time before all scope is blown, including yours.

What would your position be when a major section of your contract is violated?

Our contract has a scope clause which states that all freight moved by Airborne Express will be flown by ABX pilots. Technically, Airborne Express still exists, so you guys are violating our scope clause by taking over certain cities.

With that being said, I am not picking a fight. I was in CVG recently and I am surprised you guys are upset over the scope clause when a large portion of your ramp is covered by contractors. I would think you would want to control that first.

BTW, a question for you Astar guys...heard recently that your contract does not allow for surplusing out of equipment with excess crews. Any truth?

Visited your sort, very nice, you will miss your cafeteria when you get to ILN...

ABXbooger said:
Our contract has a scope clause which states that all freight moved by Airborne Express will be flown by ABX pilots. Technically, Airborne Express still exists, so you guys are violating our scope clause by taking over certain cities.
Didn't DHL buy Airborne Express nearly 2 years ago? And if Airborne Express still exist and your contract is being violated, then you should file a grevience.

With that being said, I am not picking a fight. I was in CVG recently and I am surprised you guys are upset over the scope clause when a large portion of your ramp is covered by contractors. I would think you would want to control that first.

You are probably referring to all the turboprop contractors. These are allowed per the contract. There is a limit on contractors flying equipment DC9 and larger. ( nothing to do with ABX, thats just where they agreed to draw the line 6 years ago.)

BTW, a question for you Astar guys...heard recently that your contract does not allow for surplusing out of equipment with excess crews. Any truth?

The contract states that as long as there is even one contractor flying DHL product then the company cannot displace, furlough, or force a pilot out of his position.
Visited your sort, very nice, you will miss your cafeteria when you get to ILN...

Thanks. I have heard that we will have our own caferteria in the building that is being remodeled for Astar. It is supposed to be larger and offer more stuff than the one in CVG. You will have to come check it out when its done.

fr8dogfo said:
Didn't DHL buy Airborne Express nearly 2 years ago? And if Airborne Express still exist and your contract is being violated, then you should file a grevience.

We took them to court over it when the company was restructured internally a few years before the DHL deal. Just like you guys, we lost.

All the T props aside there was a huge NW 747 sitting there, and I understand there is also now Kalitta...the no surplus, etc clause is nice, would make me feel more comfortable, is it true there are A300 guys sittin' home because of it?

I am not a legal or business guru, but, I think Airborne Express is still a going concern as far as the freight is concerned. It is all DHL branded now but last week I received a package from T-Mobile delivered by "Airborne Express". Acting as holding or subsidiary or something.

As far as the Caf...I now understand there is a chance that we may be using the facilities in CVG to run our reserves from...just another rumor but that would be ironic, huh?

ABXbooger said:
All the T props aside there was a huge NW 747 sitting there, and I understand there is also now Kalitta...
Yep, that was a big grevence we lost a while back but I think it also falls into the alowable number of contractors.

the no surplus, etc clause is nice, would make me feel more comfortable, is it true there are A300 guys sittin' home because of it?
They have been a little over staffed in the A300. So what guys do if they live around CVG is bid Reserve Last Out which puts them at the bottom of the list. A few have gotten away with only flying 50 to 100 hours the entire year, maybe less.

I am not a legal or business guru, but, I think Airborne Express is still a going concern as far as the freight is concerned. It is all DHL branded now but last week I received a package from T-Mobile delivered by "Airborne Express". Acting as holding or subsidiary or something.
Dont know what to tell you about that. It could be the name of the independent contract courrier's business. I have seen that as well in addition to a few other "operated by" names.
As far as the Caf...I now understand there is a chance that we may be using the facilities in CVG to run our reserves from...just another rumor but that would be ironic, huh?
Bottom line is that DHL really doesnt have a plan. They are trying to figure this thing out as they go. Astar has been given some big warehouse up there and is planning on moving EVERYTHING up there...all functions of the company. Except for John D's little get up down in Miami. So what will they do, make a reserve crew base for you down there? That could be a good deal for your guys that live down that way, and it would make commuting easier for the guys that still the pax carriers to get to work. The screwed up thing is if you have reserves in both places and commute, where do you get a crash pad. I know a lot of our guys are really dreading the move up there...no offense.

Offense? You guys will soon learn this is Wilmington. A place unlike any other. The Walmart is THE place to go. Oh and if you want to go to a decent restaurant, good luck, Cincinnati's only an hour 10 away.

The airport was the smart choice over CVG, but it is in the middle of nowhere.

I guess they are putting you guys up on what we call A ramp, north end of the field. Not sure what building as there is nothing there at present.

I heard that they will be in part of one of the big wharehouses up there. Don't know if that's true but would make sense (I guess). Sure will be a long van ride out to the C or D ramps!

It's stock exchange building # 11, the big one next to the tree line. Astar will put all of their sims in there also. ABX guys, what's up with wanting to fly over 8hrs with an IRO and go to duty days up to 30hrs? I've heard that if you guys don't agree to this, management says they won't be able to get any new charters out of MIA because without the agreement ABX is too expensive compared to the other MIA operators.

I'm sure Astar will have their own van service for their crews so it should be much better that what ABX has.

Latest resources

Back