• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Desire to be new Mesaba FO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go for it. I just turned 40, wasnt current and I am instructing for a few months before applying. My youngest daughter is graduating from high school next year and my wife and I are gonna give it a shot... if I get hired. This took alot of consideration, considering I was a CFI at 21 and have had my ATP for 10 years. I just couldnt make a living for my family during those years flying. I agree with the previous post about older applicants looking attractive because our chance to go to the majors are slim, but mainly beacause of maturity. Best of luck.

. . . I just couldn't make a living for my family during those years flying.

Well here is the deal . . .

I am 45, married, with two children, ages 12 and 5.

This idea would be absolutely impossible if my wife wasn't a Registered Nurse. Like, hopefully someday (before I die) I would like to be the primary income earner in my family. She would kind of like that day to come too, and is waiting patiently (ok, sometimes not so patiently).

So will I be able to support my family, AFTER I "just sweat it out for the first year," and the second and third?

Gosh! I really want to do this, but . . . you know, if I can't, then I need to know now.

Will I be able to support my family?

That depends.
I haven't been the bread winner in my family since coming to Mesaba. I have been here about 5 years and am going to upgrade school the end of the month. I will just about catchup to her pay.

So if you have 300 hrs you will need about 2 years before you get a chance to upgrade into the SAAB. If in two years there is still going to be positions. You will have to expect that the hiring and upgrading going on right now won't last indefinitely.

Can you and your wife survive on about 23K the first year and about 29K the second and 35K the third and about 40K the 4th? While those are gross numbers take home available funds change dramatically if you have to commute.

I am fortunate that my wife allowed my hobbyjob. Now I am upgrading and I still get to stay in my home base. It was a challenging past few years but I have loved most of it.

I think for the first two years at least it will depend on what else I can do to earn a few $$$ on my days off from Mesaba.

Any other people out there have a second source of income they would like to share?

I think for the first two years at least it will depend on what else I can do to earn a few $$$ on my days off from Mesaba.

Any other people out there have a second source of income they would like to share?

Do an "advanced search" for "income", use the "title only" setting, and you'll find lots of old posts on this, with many ideas.

Are you willing to gamble your children's future?
Don't sacrifice your family for this "dream". And, I am not just talking about pay but being at the mercy of scheduling. Want to see your kids unwrap Christmas presents on Christmas morning? Good luck as a new hire. And, you want to work on the few off days you get?
The regional lifestyle is awful and starting so late in the game (even if you do live in base) will only heighten this fact.
And, by the way, bases do get closed. I know from experience.
Sorry to be the wet blanket but I think you should pursue the 100.00 hamburger with your kids and look to working as a part time CFI to get your flying jones.

Cheers- rum

I started late also. Don't be concerned about your age. But be aware that while flying is great, one can have too much of a good thing. Doing anything for up to 8 hours a day can become "a job". It can ruin your love for flying. Also, decide if you really want to get up a four o'clock in the morning, get home after midnight, work weekends and holidays, and be on duty 12 hours a day. Worst than taking crap, in my opinion, is the negativity of people in the airline business. It's insidious. After a while you start to believe all the negative crap you hear. You can't let it get to you. Try to talk about things other than "the contract", or "did you hear what the did to so and so" etc.

-Best

While some of these posts are true, don't let people steer you away from your dream. If you never do it you may have regrets. If you and your wife agree to this and you will be ok money wise, I say give it a shot. It is like my sister, she moved out to cali to try the whole acting deal which is a long shot. However, she knew if she didn't try it, she would be wondering her whole life if she could have made it. Give it a try, and if you don't like it after a few years, then pursue something else. I will ask this though, are you fine with being at Mesaba the rest of your career? Making it to the majors these days, and at such a late age is not impossible, but it is a long shot.

I don't have to make it to the majors to consider being a success.

But I do want to eventually be the primary income earner, and let my wife take a breather.

That could happen once upgraded to Captain, and after I get to the 5 or 6 year on the pay scale.

Life would suck the first two years, and so bad it is enough for me to forget trying.

They would owe me HUGE if I sucked it up for two years, and I would never get paid back, in my opinion.

dpneedham

If you think you want to fly for the airlines and MSP is your home....Mesaba is a great company to start and end your career. I'm sure you have seen the pay scales and retirement(401k) bennies, and if that will work for you I say go for it. From my opinion, I think Mesaba has one of the best pilot groups out there. When I was hired I was one of those "23 year old gel in the hair" (although I didn't have a backpack or an ipod) guys everyone is talking about and now eight years, one base displacement and two downgrades later, I still think Mesaba is a great place to work. Good luck to you and I hope to see you online!

Latest resources

Back