Descent formulas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CLARKGRSWOLD

• If you are 200 miles out @ 310, ATC wants 110 @ 40 DME, when do you descent ( I WAS THINKING 80 MILES BEFORE THE 40 DME, ANY INSIGHT ? )
  • At 2000 feet on localizer, 5 miles back, where do you expect glideslope to be (This one is confusing 5 miles back from where ? Typical 3:1 here however )

Thousands of feet to descend: 20
Times 3
=60 miles out from fix
Ground speed times 5
GS:500kts
=60 miles out at 2,500fpm

• If you are 200 miles out @ 310, ATC wants 110 @ 40 DME, when do you descent ( I WAS THINKING 80 MILES BEFORE THE 40 DME, ANY INSIGHT ? )
  • At 2000 feet on localizer, 5 miles back, where do you expect glideslope to be (This one is confusing 5 miles back from where ? Typical 3:1 here however )

You live and die by the gouges. AA isn't hiring, but will soon. Don't be a 100% Gouge guy.

[/QUOT
Glide slope will be above you as you must intercept below the GS due to a possible side lobe of the 90/150 Hz amplitude phases.

[/QUOT
Glide slope will be above you as you must intercept below the GS due to a possible side lobe of the 90/150 Hz amplitude phases.

What? What college are you pretending you went to?

Latest resources

Back