• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Depression

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you take a depression medication - any hydrochoride, it will end your career. Just don't list them on the medical application. Use AOPA's Turbomedical to see which drugs are acceptable. The only two insomnia drugs approved are Sonata and Ambien.

Um, there's no such drug class as "hydrochloride".
And yes, I am a Pharmacist.

I do agree with Amish about consumer-driven Physician prescribing. The FDA really dropped the ball when they decided to allow pharmaceutical companies to directly advertise to the public.

Last edited:
I do agree with Amish about consumer-driven Physician prescribing. The FDA really dropped the ball when they decided to allow pharmaceutical companies to directly advertise to the public.

Agree completely. ADD, depression, and GERD/acid reflux are way overprescribed, almost exactly like the increase in cold medicine advertisements and colds during the winter. . . makes ya wonder.

As an adjunct or in lieu of type treatment, take a look at David Burns "Feeling Good Handbook". It's an interesting way to think yourself out of a depression or at least lessen the severity of it.

Another suggestion is to visit the "Self-Help" section of your local bookstore.

You'll find plenty of reading material to help better understand what you may be going through.

Many times, what is construed as depression is really a lack of understanding one's self or feelings. Some of us do more introspection than others. These books wil assist you in learning about the human condition and its variables including mood and what casues swings in our emotional states.

The more you educate yourself on the human mind and it's fallibilities, and why these thoughts and moods take place, the better equiped you will be to deal with these issues.

A little spirituality and self correction can go a long way in improving ones spirit and overall mental health.

once again, Depression is a disease. I don't have it, but it runs in my family. It is a chemical imbalance in your brain. I'm hardly the type to fall for these pharmaceutical driven commercials, either. You can't link depression with restless legs syndrome like it's some easy cure by going for a jog, or turning on the lights. What about Terry Bradshaw? He'd be with a crowd of people and have to leave because he has the urge to cry, and does. That's depression. It's documented. It's not something you can just "suck it up", or "tough it out". So are you trying to say that psychiatrists/cologists, are not needed? If someone gets depressed, all you have to do is go to Barnes N Noble and read a book?

Haven't heard of a "hydrochloride". Prozac is Fluoxetine Hydrochloride. There are numerous others such as "Trazodone Hydrocholoride" used to treat insomnia, anxiety and depression. They are all listed at www. leftseat.com/psychotropic.htm.

"Better living through chemistry"

once again, Depression is a disease. I don't have it, but it runs in my family. It is a chemical imbalance in your brain. I'm hardly the type to fall for these pharmaceutical driven commercials, either. You can't link depression with restless legs syndrome like it's some easy cure by going for a jog, or turning on the lights. What about Terry Bradshaw? He'd be with a crowd of people and have to leave because he has the urge to cry, and does. That's depression. It's documented. It's not something you can just "suck it up", or "tough it out". So are you trying to say that psychiatrists/cologists, are not needed? If someone gets depressed, all you have to do is go to Barnes N Noble and read a book?

Dude, you're missing my point.

Let me make it more clear to you.

I am NOT against someone taking medicine for depression. In fact, it may be the only way to help severely depressed individuals. That I understand. My point was that depression needs to be explored before you drop a pill which alters your chemistry. These medicines have some very profound side effects. Believe me.

Most people when they feel mildly depressed run off to their doctor and demand a particular anti-depressant. A quick fix. America is known as a pill popping nation. Pop a pill to lose weight for instance, instead of regular diet and exercise. No different here.

You would be surprised by how effective life changes and perhaps career changes are as well. Someone may merely exhibit the traits of a clinically depressed person for reasons OTHER than a chemical imbalance. A change of partner and job might just do the trick. Being more honest with yourself in life and your expectations may solve things too. The problem is that most people want a quick remedy. They don't want to work to change things in thier lives or endure lengthy therapy.

Depression is a chronic disease and takes time to heal. Depression doesn't happen over night. It's a cumulative snowball effect of many things entering the minds processing facilities. The individual does not recognize it until it reaches a certain threshold. It can be reversed, but not without a good deal of unraveling what has essentially become depression. This takes time, and most people don't care to do so. They simply do not want to put in the effort.

Understand that most people are not depressed from the womb, but acquire certain character traits and personalities that leave them more prone to depression. Life is tough and it gets us down at times. Some individuals have difficulty coping with life and create defense mechanisms around them. Most are unaware of it unless you know what to look for. These faulty mechanisims and thoughts begin to consume our thoughts and feed the depressive nature. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Depression is insidious in that it gets worse and worse if not delt with. People with depression have a fear of thier illness and become weak, further compounding their situation.

Depression has become increasingly more abundant in our society and this is due more to changes outside of our chemistry. It is based in psychology. The rapidity of the world and the expectations of a fast moving sosicety lays very unrealistic expectations on all of us. Some are unable to cope and adapt. Things need to be mentally unpacked with a mental health professional before you delve into the world of head medicines. A little introspection and corrective mind exercises will help a lot. Reading books on depression and solutions or coping mechanisms WILL help. That is very ignorant of you to claim the opposite. Reading and understanding what one is going though is priceless and many times does more to help than the psychiatrist who cares more about getting you out the door with a script in under 45 minutes. Trust me.

The point is, one should seek other avenues before deciding that they want a quick fix medicine which can do more harm in the long run to your brain. These medicines in time will permanently rearrange your brains chemistry in that the serotonin and dopamine will no longer be able to properly function without the guidenace and activity of this synthetic drug.

I never said it's something to "suck it up" or "tough it out" and it will go away. Im telling you that there are other treatments that should be explored before jumping into medicine. I also said that mental health professionals ARE needed. Yet you somehow misread what I wrote and think that I said they arent needed?

And for the record, I know friends and family who have been depressed and taken an assortment of medications. One person, unfortuantely commited suicide after being on an SSRI for a few weeks. I also have experience in the pharmaceutical business and have studied these issues academically.

Last edited:
Dude, you're missing my point.

Let me make it more clear to you.

I am NOT against someone taking medicine for depression. In fact, it may be the only way to help severely depressed individuals. That I understand. My point was that depression needs to be explored before you drop a pill which alters your chemistry. These medicines have some very profound side effects. Believe me.

Most people when they feel mildly depressed run off to their doctor and demand a particular anti-depressant. A quick fix. America is known as a pill popping nation. Pop a pill to lose weight for instance, instead of regular diet and exercise. No different here.

You would be surprised by how effective life changes and perhaps career changes are as well. Someone may merely exhibit the traits of a clinically depressed person for reasons OTHER than a chemical imbalance. A change of partner and job might just do the trick. Being more honest with yourself in life and your expectations may solve things too. The problem is that most people want a quick remedy. They don't want to work to change things in thier lives or endure lengthy therapy.

Depression is a chronic disease and takes time to heal. Depression doesn't happen over night. It's a cumulative snowball effect of many things entering the minds processing facilities. The individual does not recognize it until it reaches a certain threshold. It can be reversed, but not without a good deal of unraveling what has essentially become depression. This takes time, and most people don't care to do so. They simply do not want to put in the effort.

Understand that most people are not depressed from the womb, but acquire certain character traits and personalities that leave them more prone to depression. Life is tough and it gets us down at times. Some individuals have difficulty coping with life and create defense mechanisms around them. Most are unaware of it unless you know what to look for. These faulty mechanisims and thoughts begin to consume our thoughts and feed the depressive nature. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Depression is insidious in that it gets worse and worse if not delt with. People with depression have a fear of thier illness and become weak, further compounding their situation.

Depression has become increasingly more abundant in our society and this is due more to changes outside of our chemistry. It is based in psychology. The rapidity of the world and the expectations of a fast moving sosicety lays very unrealistic expectations on all of us. Some are unable to cope and adapt. Things need to be mentally unpacked with a mental health professional before you delve into the world of head medicines. A little introspection and corrective mind exercises will help a lot. Reading books on depression and solutions or coping mechanisms WILL help. That is very ignorant of you to claim the opposite. Reading and understanding what one is going though is priceless and many times does more to help than the psychiatrist who cares more about getting you out the door with a script in under 45 minutes. Trust me.

The point is, one should seek other avenues before deciding that they want a quick fix medicine which can do more harm in the long run to your brain. These medicines in time will permanently rearrange your brains chemistry in that the serotonin and dopamine will no longer be able to properly function without the guidenace and activity of this synthetic drug.

I never said it's something to "suck it up" or "tough it out" and it will go away. Im telling you that there are other treatments that should be explored before jumping into medicine. I also said that mental health professionals ARE needed. Yet you somehow misread what I wrote and think that I said they arent needed?

And for the record, I know friends and family who have been depressed and taken an assortment of medications. One person, unfortuantely commited suicide after being on an SSRI for a few weeks. I also have experience in the pharmaceutical business and have studied these issues academically.

I think I got ya finally! good post.:beer:

Latest resources

Back