• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Depression

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NYT article detailing the far reaching hands of the pharmeceutical industry in their connections to the next DSM-IV revision. What goes in has a great bearing on what will be considered the next big "illness" to be treated by expensive pharmeceuticals. For instance, "Road Rage" is now classified as a mental disorder as well as RLS or restless leg syndrome. These pharmeceutical companies create needs not cures. It's more about profits than it is about cure these days. They prey on peoples fears. Without an offical designation and diagnosis inside this offical medical book, insurnace companies will not pay for said illness. This is why there is a conflict of interest when they have discretion as to what does or does not make it into this medical bible.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/...em&ex=1210392000&en=b17b144c46661899&ei=5087

The comments below from the doctors are worth perusing as well.

Just have a drink or ten and your troubles and cares will be releaved.

That comment was probably meant to be humorous, but depression isn't funny, and it can become a life and death matter. The kind of condition where life holds so little joy that death is preferable. Depression can be a living hell, and it's a very serious condition.

No, not everyone gets depressed. There's a big difference between feeling a little down, and being depressed.

Take depression seriously, and seek help.

AmishRake,

you are right, sort of. Things like ADD and restless legs syndrome do exist, but by putting advertisements on TV, this gives people the idea that they are much more common than they really are. So, people who really don't have a classical diagnosis of a disorder come to the doctor seeking drugs because they fit the symptoms listed on the TV. This is bad medicine, but it sure increases drug company profits.

My favorite invented disorder is PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder). What woman doesn't feel cranky before her period? But in actuality, a minute percentage actually need to be medicated, and they already have other underlying medical and mental issues.

I have restless legs syndrome- nearly 7 nights a week, and none of the new advertised medications worked at all for me. To classify it as a psychological disorder is absolute insane--it's a movement disorder. I guess it's just a way to increase revenue and find new uses for other drugs. For example, for restless legs syndrome, they treat you with drugs used for patients with Parkinson's disease. For a small few, they work. For the rest of us, it's back to the old way of treating restless legs - codeine and a valium-like drug(I'm not a pilot- no worries) . But because these are both generic, there's not much profit to be made, so they come up with Requip and Mirapex and advertise the HELL out of them, and the masses flock to the doctor asking for them.

Just wanted to clarify your info- you were generally on the right track, though!

Let's get back to the original poster's question:

This question came up at work last week and the lot of us were stumped, so I thought I'd pose the question here. If a pilot gets diagnosed with depression, the kind where "happy pill" medication would be required, is that an instant no-go with regards to getting a medical?

The FAA does not approve any psychotropic drugs, or mood altering drugs. Any clinical diagnosis of depression will require additional supporting documentation and a psychiatric evaluation before any further action by the FAA can be taken, and then only upon further consideration of that evaluation.

Latest resources

Back