• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta's taking the path of Pan Am by trying to become a long-haul carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Besides, after getting diked over by AA or US, one of the precious few remaining benefits they're left with is the right to jumpseat to work

So you think that making your pilots jumpseat to work is a benefit?

NICE!

Hey mabey they can wash the airplane and dump the trash in the office on Saturday's as well.
Perhaps mow the lawn next to the hanger and wash your car while they are there.

General Lee said:
Junglejet,

Ok, what? You want to compare tax returns with me? I did mine at H&R Block, and they did a great job. I probably didn't put any hokey tax right offs in there like you did......

You obviously don't know anything about the ATA and their plan to conquer aviation labor and their "high salaries." You haven't heard anything about that? Really? Hmmmmm.

Atleast you agree with me about the old stews we have up front. I can't do anything about that--and I wish I could. It would be nice to see a stew under 30 for once!

As far as supply and demand for Airtran vs Delta---it is also because they don't have the same amount of aircraft. If Airtran were a lot bigger, and had more gate space at ATL, they would probably go after more cities. But, even with more aircraft they would probably stay away from some of the INTL cities...

And, the Biz elite, with the 5 course meals to Europe and South America is really good, even served by a grandmother.... You might be able to afford it---since you are a CEO of whatever whatever.....

House X,

There you go again, spouting off your mouth. Sweptback is correct. We go to more European cities than any other US carrier (CO is close). We also go to Tokyo, and many many South American and Carribean cities---including Lima, Bogota, Buenos Aires (effective Dec 1st), Santiago, Sao Paulo, Caracas, Panama City, San Jose, Liberia, Guatamala City, San Salvador, Aruba, and others. But, you knew that..... In Europe we are the only American Choice from the US to Athens, Istanbul, Moscow, Barcelona, Venice, and Nice. You have got to read our brochures more! Look at the map please.

Bye Bye--General Lee

What's the frequency of those flights General? Delta may go to more cities but Delta does not have the most flights to Europe nor do they carry the most people overseas either. United and American still carries more people across the Atlantic than Delta. Delta likes to do one flight per day rather than frequency to high profit routes. All the Latin American cities you mentioned are serviced by AA and CO with higher frequency. As far as Asia is concern...you go to one destination, Tokyo Narita, that's it...the only carrier weaker than Delta in Asia is US Air, and it's because they don't fly to Asia at all.

Look at YOUR map...and look at all the codeshares on the skyteam. Air France and Korean Air are doing a lot of those "international flights"....

You can say I'm spouting off...that's fine...but the facts remain the facts. Delta needs to become a better airline if it wants to compete in the 21st century.

Jungle_Jet said:
I hope you're not seriously attempting to lecture me on jumpseat ettiquite. Because if I thought you were, I'd tell you that when a pilot is reporting to work to pick up an aircraft that is in a different city then they are living in, that is proper use of the jumpseat no matter how you look at it.

Besides, after getting diked over by AA or US, one of the precious few remaining benefits they're left with is the right to jumpseat to work.

I'd hate to think that you'd attempt to deny them that priveledge simply for the sake of appearing to be correct on some silly internet board.
I'll tell you that they will be denied my jumpseat. It has nothing to do with appearing to be correct on a silly internet bulletin bbs. It has everything to do with protecting the privilege. If you need to position your pilots, for your companys bottom line, don't send em to my airplane. My jumpseat is reserved for airline pilots who choose to/are forced to live out of domicile.

enigma, Spirit Captain.

Jungle_Jet said:
I hope you're not seriously attempting to lecture me on jumpseat ettiquite. Because if I thought you were, I'd tell you that when a pilot is reporting to work to pick up an aircraft that is in a different city then they are living in, that is proper use of the jumpseat no matter how you look at it.
Man, you don't have a clue. A pilot can not use the jumpseat to chase aircraft around to different cities. He can use it for his personal travel and to commute to his domicile. When I flew for a supplemental carrier, if the aircraft was not at its domicile, the crew either dead headed on a company airplane or the company bought a ticket.

enigma said:
I'll tell you that they will be denied my jumpseat. It has nothing to do with appearing to be correct on a silly internet bulletin bbs. It has everything to do with protecting the privilege. If you need to position your pilots, for your companys bottom line, don't send em to my airplane. My jumpseat is reserved for airline pilots who choose to/are forced to live out of domicile.

enigma, Spirit Captain.
Ditto!
ASA Capt

Jungle Jet,

Yeah, ok Donald Frump. You scare me with all of your "big words" and scary "money talk"---all I am is a caveman......Whatever dude. Oh yeah, we are over paid. Tell that to everyone else on this board that wants to have a great contract with great pay. We all strive for a good lifestyle, and unlike you---probably haven't inherited it. Oh, that's right, you are a C.E.O----wow. You probabbly don't understand labor/management relations either. You say we are "$crewing" our fellow employees. Well, they went down a different path, of their own choosing. We selected union representation and pay each month for it. They chose to believe in the company. It was a choice. Our "rich" contract took time to receive, and it was signed by the then CEO Leo Mullin. We became a fixed cost. Then, 9-11 struck and everything started to tumble. (Did you know about 9-11 before it happened? If you did, why didn't you tell someone?) The company furloughed a bunch of people and parked planes---and never took any pay cuts from any of the non-union people. They really never asked us for any for more than a year. We offered to talk to them and see the books, and then early this year we offered a pay cut. Management wanted it all, and then sold the fuel hedges. Please don't blame us for all that is wrong at this company. You really need to get the story straight. Next thing you know, you will be blaming us for the $2 billion stock buy back pre-9-11 that vanished after that day and resulting stock tumble....

House X,

By a city basis, we go to more cities in Europe than any other US airline. Look at the Map again. That is what I mean---I never said by the number of flights. American probably has more flights on a flight basis---and that is because they have rights into LHR. As far as our codeshares, yes, we have a lot. The Skyteam is huge, and we would like to fly more of it. In fact, we have a grievance in the courts (arbitrator) right now addressing that issue. We just don't have the number of planes it takes to fly more of those same INTL flights. We should have ordered more when times were good, but we spent $2 billion on stock buy backs that later evaporated. I guess that was MY fault.... According to Jungle Jet, it was. Asia is our weak spot, and I never said it wasn't. Latin America does very well for us because a lot of people don't like going through MIA. One thing we do well is India, and we are adding a second daily flight (thru FRA and CDG) starting in DEC I believe---which will make us the largest operator to India (as a US Airline), even over NW. I hope we expand more to Europe, Asia, and Latin America/South America, but it is not up to me....

Bye Bye--General Lee

RE: Jumpseating

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. I guy lives in city A. The aircraft is in city B. They are reporting to work where the aircraft is located, we don't have domiciles per se.

Don't worry Enigma, you won't see any of our guys anyway (why do you assume you haven't in the past?). Spirit doesn't fly anywhere we can't get to by other means, and your people aren't exactly legendary for their treatment to begin with.

So you guys can stop lecturing me on proper protocol. In fact, I helped draft some of those protocols back in the day and probably understand them better then most.

Know it all!

Jungle_Jet said:

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. I guy lives in city A. The aircraft is in city B. They are reporting to work where the aircraft is located, we don't have domiciles per se.

Don't worry Enigma, you won't see any of our guys anyway (why do you assume you haven't in the past?). Spirit doesn't fly anywhere we can't get to by other means, and your people aren't exactly legendary for their treatment to begin with.

So you guys can stop lecturing me on proper protocol. In fact, I helped draft some of those protocols back in the day and probably understand them better then most.
Yeah Riiiight.

Jungle_Jet said:

So you require your pilots to provide their own transportation to their assignment, wherever that may happen to be? I hope Delta management is not getting any ideas from you.

what else do you make them do? Provide their own hotel on layovers?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back