• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta's New Paint Job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It would be nice if Delta came up with multiple paint schemes and then let the employees vote on which one they like. Get the employees involved a bit.....even little stuff like that helps morale. Not to mention, i'm sure it would end up looking better than what is on the table at this point...although i don't think it looks too bad as it stands.

Stuka, that actually looks really nice. I would of course prefer "Old School" Delta (black nose...old widget) but atleast your design is MUCH BETTER than what's on the table! Lord have mercy if they go through with that "Red Tailed" POS paint scheme!:puke:

Hell I work for DAL and actually kinda like the proposed paint job..just not the $$ spent for it..although I read that since we have to repaint planes during their major checks ANYWAY..why not get a new "branding" out of it? I do like Stuka's concept though.
Everyone seems to be bitching, saying..oh..I like this better..or it looks like Air Canada..etc. You think the clowns in the general public realize that? Nope. They see cheap fair and pretty new paint jobs. This whole "rebranding" works on most of America. Hell...Hillary is getting millions for HER campaign..they'll DEFINITELY like a new Delta paint job.

I definitely like the new paint scheme better than the last two, but Stuka takes the prize. Why reinvent the wheel, especially when you want everybody to notice the one thing that's Delta, the widget. AA has the most famous paint scheme in history because it doesn't change, at least not much. Everybody knows an American airplane, but Delta can't seem to figure out branding.

How about taking the millions it's going to take for new paint and return it to the employees? Happy employees? No, new paint on the outside of the airplanes makes much more sense...

How about taking the millions it's going to take for new paint and return it to the employees? Happy employees? No, new paint on the outside of the airplanes makes much more sense...

I'm with you in spirit...but I think painted airplanes need to be re-painted every so often.

NWA employees got a little exercised when we changed from the "bowling shoe" livery to the "silver bullet", but the facts (given to us by the NWA pilot who sits on the NWA BOD) was that the new paint job cost an average of $2,000 less per hull than the old one, and the aircraft needed to be repainted when they went to Heavy Check.

The word came down from on-high that the jets needed a new livery and that it must cost less than the old one (bonuses at risk!). So rather than ensuring the logo pointed to the...well...NORTHWEST, we have one that sometimes points northeast.

I think Delta chose the red tail scheme either because we gave them all our leftover paint from the "bowling shoe" livery...or it's to facilitate their big merger with an airline that has a solid red tail.

I wouldn't call it retro, it's just a paint job that keeps the original Widget. Leo Mullin tried changing it to the "frowning" Widget, and the employees hated it. Grinstein went to all that trouble to change it back to the way it was, and the new paint scheme has a RED Widget? No, thanks.

Last edited:
According to the Atlanta Urinal we are all excited to the point we just can't stand it anymore:

Plane paint secret has Internet revved
Delta won't confirm: Airline attributes leaks to getting employees involved in proposals for redesign.

By Russell Grantham
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 04/12/07 In the age of Internet discussion groups, keeping a new aircraft paint job secret until a grand unveiling might have been harder than Delta Air Lines had thought.
Web sites for aviation buffs are abuzz since someone posted images last Saturday that show the purported new paint scheme. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported last week that a new paint job is in the works and will likely be revealed when Delta exits bankruptcy court at the end of the month.
On airliners.net, a Sweden-based site with about 300,000 daily users, images of the design have prompted hundreds of messages.
According to the images circulating on that and other sites, the likely new scheme features the return of Delta's triangular logo, known as the "widget," to the tail of Delta jets —- albeit in an off-kilter stance that cuts off the point of the triangle. The fuselage is mostly white, with a dark underbelly. Another red widget and "Delta" in a minimalist typeface is on the side.
Some posters have created variations, adding more fuel to a debate that one termed "widgetgate."
"It's tough keeping it under wraps," said Richard Aboulafia, a consultant with the Teal Group who has been following the aviation industry for about two decades. "There are always leaks."
A spokeswoman for Delta —- which has only acknowledged considering a new paint job —- declined to comment on the Web image.
But it generally matches a design that Delta recently showed to employee groups for feedback, according to an employee familiar with the project. He said the all-red version of the traditionally red, white and blue widget logo has caused consternation among some employees.
The Delta spokeswoman, Gina Laughlin, said the airline doesn't regret involving employees in its consideration of a new livery, even if it increased the chances of leaks.
"It's exciting that Delta people continue to be so passionate about the company and what it means to them," she said.
But even one poster at airliners.net seemed exasperated by the speculation.
"Can we just shut this thread down until we actually see a REAL airplane in REAL sunlight?" pleaded "Jetlanta" on Wednesday.

Who really cares about the new paint? Delta will have a newer paint job on property before half of the airplanes get painted with this scheme. Does anyone get different paint jobs more often than Delta. For a while I think they had 4 different schemes all flying at once.

Latest resources

Back