Delta's incredible marketing, compared to Airtran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fins,

You need to leave DCI as soon as possible. You sound miserable. Just one word of advice, don't list "RJDC Member" on your resume to CAL or Airtran. Nobody wants to hire a lazy senior RJ pilot who wants larger aircraft in his fleet so he doesn't have to give up weekends or his 4 weeks vacation a year in Myrtle Beach.

The part you are missing is that Delta is ACTUALLY ADVERTISING. That was non-existant a couple years ago. They have gone back to spending money on TV and radio commercials, and they reactivated the Delta sign on the southern part of downtown when you drive North on I-85. That was gone for awhile. They have billboards up at a lot of cities. So what if they sponsor a gay parade or float-----that demographic is huge in Buckhead and Midtown, and they spend lots of money on travel. You must have missed all of those corny commercials-----but they are new and they are out there. So Airtran is sponsoring the fireworks at Lennox. Good for them. We have a basketball arena in Salt Lake I believe. Zippy da do. And, all of that debt you described will be reduced by a lot as soon as ASA and Comair are handed over to someone else.

737pylt,

I am glad you like me. I am not a Kool-aid drinker persay, but I think we are better off now than with Leo. Grinstein wants us to succeed, and has initiated many new ideas and gotten rid of excess. Operation clockwork, Simplifares, getting rid of DFW (a great idea---a huge RJ base), expanding Song, getting needed concessions (we had to do it), and looking out for our best interests. With Leo, we just threw money away, hoping USAir would die. Now gas is at an all time high, and we have to deal with it. Did you think gas would hit $60 a barrel? I didn't. We can only hope that they do have a plan, and as my quote says at the bottom----they are "not planning to fail." Let's hope not.

DL Slug,

You are the man!

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
"Delta is not failing to plan, and we are certainly not planning to fail," -DL Golden Parachute rider....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Can you hear that General Lee? That is the sound of inevitability............

How about a tasty beverage to wash that down with?

MY VIEW ( .O1 CENT usd)

iT WILL be a long time before airtran flies 787 across the pond. First Boeing must be able to mass produce them. from what I've read, the bubbles in the layering process of the composite fuselage is drving them nuts and giving pause for concern. secondly,

To cross market segments in this day and age given the cost and competition makes LCCs aspiring to Int'l flying daydreamers.

Maybe Southwest will do it, but don't forget how you made it. expansion for the sake of expansion without profitibility is irresponsible.

Airtran is years behind the size of an operation that could make it.

re: marketing and brand recognition. Delta has it, they can play around and try new things. Airtran is still a neophyte with no where to go but up.

I do think they tried to mirror Delta with that new paint job. White top with red /blue accents. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

After reading this thread, I realized it's been a looooong, long time since I've seen a Delta commercial on TV but I see United commercials all the time.

Seems to me that if you want more business, a company should advertize more, not less. Eh?

I'd also like to know how United can afford to get a new paint job on their planes given the current cost climate.

Good luck to you guys,
Catfish

CatfishVT9 said:
I'd also like to know how United can afford to get a new paint job on their planes given the current cost climate.

Thats a good point. If I were someone UAL owed money, I'd be standing in court demanding that I be paid. If UAL has money for a new paint job, then they have money to pay off some debts.

Basketball anyone

General Lee said:
Fins,

You need to leave DCI as soon as possible. You sound miserable. Just one word of advice, don't list "RJDC Member" on your resume to CAL or Airtran. Nobody wants to hire a lazy senior RJ pilot who wants larger aircraft in his fleet so he doesn't have to give up weekends or his 4 weeks vacation a year in Myrtle Beach.

The part you are missing is that Delta is ACTUALLY ADVERTISING. That was non-existant a couple years ago. They have gone back to spending money on TV and radio commercials, and they reactivated the Delta sign on the southern part of downtown when you drive North on I-85. That was gone for awhile. They have billboards up at a lot of cities. So what if they sponsor a gay parade or float-----that demographic is huge in Buckhead and Midtown, and they spend lots of money on travel. You must have missed all of those corny commercials-----but they are new and they are out there. So Airtran is sponsoring the fireworks at Lennox. Good for them. We have a basketball arena in Salt Lake I believe. Zippy da do. And, all of that debt you described will be reduced by a lot as soon as ASA and Comair are handed over to someone else.

737pylt,

I am glad you like me. I am not a Kool-aid drinker persay, but I think we are better off now than with Leo. Grinstein wants us to succeed, and has initiated many new ideas and gotten rid of excess. Operation clockwork, Simplifares, getting rid of DFW (a great idea---a huge RJ base), expanding Song, getting needed concessions (we had to do it), and looking out for our best interests. With Leo, we just threw money away, hoping USAir would die. Now gas is at an all time high, and we have to deal with it. Did you think gas would hit $60 a barrel? I didn't. We can only hope that they do have a plan, and as my quote says at the bottom----they are "not planning to fail." Let's hope not.

DL Slug,

You are the man!

Bye Bye--General Lee

You guys have not had the basketball facility in SLC for at least a year now.

Since when did airlines buy gas general? I have no idea where you could even buy gas for $60 a barrel. I have however seen crude oil selling for $60 dollars, but i have never seen a jet running on gas.

PS what would you suggest general? 93 or 98 octane, i guess above FL340 98 octane might be better.
Dick head

CMRdood

PS what would you suggest general? 93 or 98 octane, i guess above FL340 98 octane might be better.
Dick head

Not to rain on your parade here but you will find that the turbine engines that you fly WILL run on gas. It is called "Emergency Fuel". There is normally a time limit on the number of hours you can run them on gas, and after that the standard practice is to do a hot end. I agree that the General consistently cuts ASA and Comair down with his constant "all of that debt you described will be reduced by a lot as soon as ASA and Comair are handed over to someone else" BS, but I am sure he meant no harm by using the term "gas".

I do wish that he would lay off on the constant barbs as it is getting very old. I know he does not like us, but we all do care about the well being of Delta. I hope we can survive this one. It does look like BK to me though. Time will tell.

CatfishVT9 said:

Good luck to you guys,
Catfish

catfish, Paint is a part of an airplanes ongoing maintenance. The painting process is a huge corrosion inspection if you will. Also, while I don't know this to be true in the given example, the aircraft lessors may require that the aircraft are painted every x months for the above given reasons.

If an airline is stripping off brand new paint in order to spray on a different scheme, then I'll agree with you all. That is pretty wasteful for a struggling company. Passengers just don't care what the outside of their airplane looks like just as long as it is somewhat clean.

enigma

Latest resources

Back