Delta's incredible marketing, compared to Airtran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

~~~^~~~

AirTran is sponsoring the Fourth of July fireworks celebration at Lenox Mall in Atlanta. This event is attended by more than 300,000 persons and is easily the largest fireworks show in the Southeast. They have bands playing patriotic tunes while two and a half tons of fireworks decorate the Atlanta Sky in a terrific celebration of patriotism. It is a beautiful event, which includes a diverse mix of AirTran's customer base, all having a good time.

In contrast - here is press coverage of Delta's marketing effort over the previous weekend by ANDISHEH NOURAEE, only Creative Loafing covered the "event." Even then, it was only a paragraph or two on an inside page, after coverage of Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest at Zoo Atlanta, Corndogorama 5000 at the Earl. Note that more people than ever came to the event to protest and those protesters saw "DELTA" as a principal sponsor.
On Sunday, I took time out of my busy hangover schedule to make it out for a drizzly Atlanta Pride Parade. The usual gang was marching: lesbians on motorcycles, lesbians with lawn mowers, Delta employees on miniature planes... local politicians, gay men with hairy bodies who like to go camping in the nude, gay men with hairless bodies who like to parade nearly nude, a couple of men with breasts, Clermont Lounge's Blondie, friends of gay people, family members of gay people, politicians, and lots and lots of church groups. The marching church groups were more frequent and large than I've seen before. It's hard to pick a favorite parade moment, but since I want to finish this column and go eat something, I'll choose this one: An exceedingly plus-sized drag queen riding a motorcycle in the parade stopped in front of me on Peachtree, winked at the guy next to me and asked him, "Hey, wanna |=uck a fat girl?" (S)he rode off before he could answer.
Great job Delta, I am so embarrassed to work for an airline even associated with you. General Lee calls this a great idea for a marketing campaign and I'm telling anyone who gives a crap about Delta that this sort of management is why AirTran will be operating 787's across the Atlantic before Delta pays off a dime of its $20,000,000,000.00 plus debt.

Instead of fuel hedging, paying the retirement promises made to its employees, or making good on the debt agreements Delta has entered into with its business partners, Delta is finding cash to burn on divisive political agendas having to do with domestic partners. If Delta was rolling in cash, it would be one thing, but when Delta's President repeatedly goes to Congress asking that taxpayers bail this Company out, it has a higher obligation to its shareholders and employees than to fund the narrow politial agendas of some radical managers with corporate funds.

Last edited:
C'mon, do you really think 300,000 people from across the Southeast really make a difference? Delta is on to something here--something big! We all know the "freaks" on display in Buckhead and Pride parades have a lot more money for discretionary vacations and high dollar business travel than 300,000 backpack toting swine.

Why don't you get back up front and fly the jet and let those marketing geniuses do their work? Stupid pilots think they know everything....

(for those of you not familiar with my political, airline business, or social views, this is complete sarcasm)

deleted due to alcohol...

Last edited:
GIA Big Iron said:
wow... nice roundabout way of blaming your woes on the gays... lame... welcome to the bottom of the SKYW list - dorks

Another skywest pilot, and I use that term loosely, with wild delusions. I have another delusion for you, you might get laid in the next ten years.

~~~^~~~ said:
AirTran is sponsoring the Fourth of July fireworks celebration at Lenox Mall in Atlanta. This event is attended by more than 300,000 persons and is easily the largest fireworks show in the Southeast. They have bands playing patriotic tunes while two and a half tons of fireworks decorate the Atlanta Sky in a terrific celebration of patriotism. It is a beautiful event, which includes a diverse mix of AirTran's customer base, all having a good time.

In contrast - here is press coverage of Delta's marketing effort over the previous weekend by ANDISHEH NOURAEE, only Creative Loafing covered the "event." Even then, it was only a paragraph or two on an inside page, after coverage of Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest at Zoo Atlanta, Corndogorama 5000 at the Earl. Note that more people than ever came to the event to protest and those protesters saw "DELTA" as a principal sponsor.
Great job Delta, I am so embarrassed to work for an airline even associated with you. General Lee calls this a great idea for a marketing campaign and I'm telling anyone who gives a crap about Delta that this sort of management is why AirTran will be operating 787's across the Atlantic before Delta pays off a dime of its $20,000,000,000.00 plus debt.

Instead of fuel hedging, paying the retirement promises made to its employees, or making good on the debt agreements Delta has entered into with its business partners, Delta is finding cash to burn on divisive political agendas having to do with domestic partners. If Delta was rolling in cash, it would be one thing, but when Delta's President repeatedly goes to Congress asking that taxpayers bail this Company out, it has a higher obligation to its shareholders and employees than to fund the narrow politial agendas of some radical managers with corporate funds.

Fins:
I'm starting to get scared that I agree with you so much. I am seriously starting to doubt that this management can turn this airline around, and am looking more and more in to my "b" plan as my new "a" plan. I like the General, but he is drinking way to much of the management kool aid. The interest alone on the debt we are paying could easily buy a couple of 777's a year. No doubt Leo is enjoying himself on his new house on MVY, I just hope a nor'easter comes this fall and level's it with him in it!
I'm glad we can agree on some things, but you'll never get me to buy in on the whole rjdc lawsuit!

I agree with you. Things like this also make me doubt this management group can fix Delta. Been working on Plan B for a while. Should have stayed at ValuJet/Airtran............

What are you guys talking about.....the Delta Execs are the finest in the Industry.

Who else could squeeze $1.1 BILLION from it's pilots and waste it on a fare sale ?

Fins, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think the more important thing is to feel good about your company's PC agenda. Afterall, it is more wrong to judge wrong than to do wrong. Right GIA Big Iron?

Saw in today's paper GG "only" earned $250K?? Gordon got $37M at CAL.

Gimme a break!

All:

How did we get on this subject? Regardless, I feel it is a huge embarrassment for Delta to be involved in this sort of marketing. I don't care what you guys say about reaching an untapped source of customers. No wonder my health care costs are going up when DL allows "domestic partners" to be covered!

I think C.E. Woolman, founder of DL, would roll over if he saw the current direction of the "Delta family".

All for now,

DLslug

GG Mindset

You gotta realize that GG is a Democrat through and through. Hails from a very leberal state and a county that constantly embraces every alternative life style that might pop up from the gutter. GG was Warren Magnusons chief assiatnt although I doubt that Magnuson would recognize his party today and what it has become in the State of Washington. The point is that GG is ameanable to feel good programs that embrace alternative venues. The fact that the gay community has big bucks to spend on liesure travel makes them a good target for advertising of this ilk not withstanding the fact that many citizens do not feel that this is a road (Hershey Highway?) that they would care to travel. Kind of a sorry state of affairs over there at Delta and probably going to get much worse over the next twelve months.

Latest resources

Back