Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FLYLOW22,

What are you doing these days?

Short of FedEx/UPS the 250K senior captain days are done. That being said Delta will still be much better than a lot of other jobs. Flexibility and schedule are still huge reasons to go to a major airline. The pay, though less than it used to be, will still be higher than most other jobs. Having done corp, frax and 121, the life is still better at the airlines. For what its worth I would like to do something else but if I stay in aviaton I'd rather do it at an airline. Getting out of aviation all together is also just as risky. All those who go into computers, start their own business or what ever else face the same hurdles. Consolidations, lay offs etc...

When things are good they are good and the opposite is true for all industries.

Last edited:
michael707767 said:
I doubt any hiring by Christmas. Late Spring is what I am hearing.

What's in store? Probably slow progression for the first few years. After that, we will catch up with the retirements again and things should move as normal.

The LEX crash has me worried also. Numerous reasons I have always thought owning your regionals was a mistake.....this is one of them. Lots of exposure to Delta over this one. But I don't think it will derail Delta's recovery.

The last crash before the Comair crash was the AA A300 in JFK. That was deemed to be the FO's fault with excessive rudder usage. They seem to be going strong still. Also, the LEX controller was partially at fault too for not monitoring the takeoff. That is what Insurance is for.

Bye Bye--General Lee

dtfl said:
You think DAL can actually ramp up hiring by XMAS?
And what is in store for us recallees? Progression or minimal progression into stagnation on reserve? Im a little worried about the LEX crash also...
what is the talk in the crew bus on all the issues?

No hiring until every furlough bypasses and then they are left with open slots and no one willing to fill them. If the current bypass rate continues, then that could happen next Spring. Our furloughed pilots come back to 6th year pay, whereas United's returning furloughs come back to the same pay grade (year wise) as they had when they were furloughed. Not bad I guess. Welcome back!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Thanks 80 for 80, your input is always inlightening. Please do us a servcie and define stable company, without telling us how unstable the on-demand business is; every one knows the on-demand business is like a roller coaster. You must be talking about stable union represented companies companies that have been around for years, like PamAm, Eastern, Braniff, Transamerican, Zantop. Please we need your input help us out.

Delta Posts Profit for July
Wednesday August 30, 4:51 pm ET
Delta Earned $69 Million in July

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines Inc., the nation's third-largest carrier, said Wednesday it made a profit of $69 million in July.
The Atlanta-based company said in a bankruptcy court filing that excluding reorganization items, it had net income of $99 million in July. Revenue for the 31-day period was $1.71 billion.

Delta has lost more than $16 billion since January 2001, but in recent months has been narrowing its losses and even posting monthly profits as it restructures its costs and benefits along with the industry from higher tickets prices.

Delta, which filed for bankruptcy in September 2005, is expecting to emerge from Chapter 11 by the middle of 2007.

DAL pilots,

Could you tell me how senior DAL SLC base is? And what kind of airplanes? That and LAX.
If, lets say, hired sometime next year how long approximately, in your judgement, would it take to get there.

Thank you very much.

Latest resources

Back