• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to hire 300 pilots this year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If hired on, what likelyhood is there of getting assigned a NY base? How much flying out of Newark, NJ is there? IF assigned a NY base, how does that work as far as flying out and in? Do you leave from EWR and end up in JFK? I live in the NY area and am interested in knowing how a multiple airport base works.

You can have my slot, the commute is killing me!

heard interviews start in 2 weeks..anyone else hear this as well?

Haven't heard anything, but if they are starting classes in August for bypassers and flow-up's then they probably need to start interviewing before the end of June. That will give them time to get guys background checks done and give them time to give notice to employers and get things lined up for classes in September. Some of the early 07 hires were in class within two weeks of interviews, but for the most part most of us didn't start class until 6-8 weeks after we interviewed.

I saw an email from a buddy in a local union (non-aviation related) which came out recently indicating that DAL was specifically interested in recruiting veterans for jobs, to include pilot slots, so that may boost your chances if a veteran.

Of course I am kidding...I have friends at AA and DL who specifically won't bid Captain because they will wind up as junior pukes flying Mad Dogs out of New York.

AA guy is a 19 year FO, DL guy is a 13 year FO.
YKMKR
AA used to have mandatory upgrade. Is that still true at AA?

Also, besides NYC MD88CA, that 13 year DL F/O could be a MD88CA in ATL or DC9CA in DTW, MSP, or MEM, albeit very junior. Not garden spots but better than NY depending on where you live.

AA used to have mandatory upgrade. Is that still true at AA?

Also, besides NYC MD88CA, that 13 year DL F/O could be a MD88CA in ATL or DC9CA in DTW, MSP, or MEM, albeit very junior. Not garden spots but better than NY depending on where you live.

You got that right. I would pay someone to be able to live in Minneapolis over getting paid to live anywhere near NY.

AA no longer enforces the "up or out" policy according to my friend there.

My DL buddy actually lives in MSP and after the merger and 13 years of commuting he is one happy dude flying the 76 out of MSP.

He avoided the Captains slot on the MD and the NYC basing prior to the merger, and now refuses to be a junior puke flying round dials while tuning coffee grinders in the Death Comet in MSP.

I pretty much have to agree with his thought process...:)

YKMKR

AA no longer enforces the "up or out" policy according to my friend there.

My DL buddy actually lives in MSP and after the merger and 13 years of commuting he is one happy dude flying the 76 out of MSP.

He avoided the Captains slot on the MD and the NYC basing prior to the merger, and now refuses to be a junior puke flying round dials while tuning coffee grinders in the Death Comet in MSP.

I pretty much have to agree with his thought process...:)
YKMKR
Yeah, I can't argue with that either...it's nice to have a lot of control over your schedule. On second thought though, looking at the last AE bid, he could have held MD88 CA in MSP instead of DC9, probably holding a line if he is a 13 year fDAL guy. That's @ a $36/hour pay bump from 76fo. Not counting greenslipping on the 76 and the possibility of reserve on the 88 with the 70 hour guarantee (that HAS to be fixed next time around). 12,000 different ideas of what a great deal is....that's the beauty of it.

Latest resources

Back