Delta to announce new INTL routes tomorrow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pgcfii2002 said:
Interesting to see how this works, especially if and when a lower cost airline (like former PeoplExpress) starts service across the Atlantic.

Undoubtly this would lead to more seats and erode yields.

Huh? Whaaaat? I think EOS and Maxjet are gonna fail quickly. If all the seats were going to the same city maybe, but they are not. Most of the new routes are to cities not served by other airlines. ATL to Nice, France. ATL to Athens. We just started ATL to Moscow---nonstop. And do you think the fares are as cheap as Peoples' Express? Ummmmmm, no. People want to go to Ireland in the Summer to play golf. People go to Manchester, England to do whatever they do there. The Euro is also higher than the dollar, and often the Europeans find the US a cheap vacation, and fly on American carriers because they are cheaper than European. We still charge high fares (for over here), but they are cheap over there in comparison.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Until the next act of terrorism, then all international flying will come to a complete stop, and then they'll be scrambling to reinvent themselves...again.

SSDD said:
Until the next act of terrorism, then all international flying will come to a complete stop, and then they'll be scrambling to reinvent themselves...again.

And then SkyWest will come to the rescue again with their insulated fuel costs......Ron Reber is jumping up and down because of the super profitable regional business (after he has the bankrupt carriers pay for the extra fuel costs, marketing, websites, reservations, etc......). Thank Gawd we will always have you guys to rely on....?

Bye Bye---General Lee

People want to go to Ireland in the Summer to play golf. People go to Manchester, England to do whatever they do there. The Euro is also higher than the dollar, and often the Europeans find the US a cheap vacation, and fly on American carriers because they are cheaper than European. We still charge high fares (for over here), but they are cheap over there in comparison.

and what else is new? big woopdey-doo. I guess over the last 30 years nobody went to Ireland or England, and Delta just discovered this route.

American, CAL, British Airways, and x number of other international players have all made the above rocket-scientist observation. While Delta is opening up routes to allow Georgia businessmen and NASCAR teams to be able to visit Moscow (?), LUV and Airtran is still dominating the domestic arena.

satpak77 said:
and what else is new? big woopdey-doo. I guess over the last 30 years nobody went to Ireland or England, and Delta just discovered this route.

American, CAL, British Airways, and x number of other international players have all made the above rocket-scientist observation. While Delta is opening up routes to allow Georgia businessmen and NASCAR teams to be able to visit Moscow (?), LUV and Airtran is still dominating the domestic arena.

Great analysis there chief. I told you that we had a 777 flying the route from ATL to DUB and SNN every Summer for the last couple of years. We have been flying those routes for as long as we have had aircraft capable of doing it. And you say LUV and Airtran are DOMINATING the domestic arena? I think LUV is doing great, but Airtran still cherry picks certain routes, and right now cannot find another city like ATL to put a large hub. But hey, maybe they don't want to do that...... You are the expert here chief...... You need to work on your analysis, no doubt. Airtran may set some low fares from ATL, but they do not dominate anything. They are not the largest airline at any large airport they serve. Sure, they do a good job at being a thorn in our a$$, but they aren't that big at all. Try to think next time before writing this krap. Go to sleep.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
I don't care about the pensions. They are an obstacle too high to climb, so if they are dumped I wouldn't mind.
Bye Bye--General Lee

General..you are Fu**ing crazy. Idiotic statements.

Pilotbob3 said:
General..you are Fu**ing crazy. Idiotic statements.

Am I there wonderboy? Have you ever had a $10.6 BILLION debt(just pension debt) hanging over you and your company? That is the way it goes. How about I promise you that someday I will buy you the Golden Gate Bridge? Will you believe me too? I bet you would. If our company cannot afford to pay that huge obligation, then they will be DROPPED. Sorry. Idiotic statement, or THE DAM TRUTH? Wake up! Leo Mullin also loses his pension. Everyone does. That is what happens when you cannot afford it anymore. Same will happen at NW, GM, FORD, etc. Empty promises.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Am I there wonderboy? Have you ever had a $10.6 BILLION debt(just pension debt) hanging over you and your company? That is the way it goes. How about I promise you that someday I will buy you the Golden Gate Bridge? Will you believe me too? I bet you would. If our company cannot afford to pay that huge obligation, then they will be DROPPED. Sorry. Idiotic statement, or THE DAM TRUTH? Wake up! Leo Mullin also loses his pension. Everyone does. That is what happens when you cannot afford it anymore. Same will happen at NW, GM, FORD, etc. Empty promises.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Take a deep breath and get your finger off the "ignore" button! While DAL will have to lean its' load one has to wonder how all this adds up when the dust settles. I caution you all not to fall for the "everything must go sale" presently being offered by management.

Affording something now is one thing, affording it under a different enviroment is another.Chapter 11 is reorganization! Not surrender!

Last edited:
All DL is doing is throwing routes out there and praying that something sticks. Many of these routes have little demand, but DL is desperate so they'll try anything.

And believe it or not General, there are a few airports where Airtran is the largest carriers. They are smaller airports (like CAK/PHF), but Airtran is the largest. And with the way DL is shrinking and Airtran is growing, it won't be long before Airtran becomes the largest carrier in more cities.

Latest resources

Back