• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta: The king of overbooking

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're absolutely right. Every single MX, wx event or weather delay results in multiple days delay in getting to the destination. The air transport system currently in place is a disaster and it's destroying the national infrastructure.
You're non-revving during Easter and somehow find the nads to bitch about getting bumped? Unreal. Next time, drive.

Except I'm not the one bitching about non-revving on a long weekend. That IS kinda stupid. I'm planning to travel over Christmas. Yup, buying full fare tix.

Here's my point: Choose one and only one.

A. Reliable air transportation is SO VITAL to the national economy and infrastructure that we have to have special rules which essentially forbid pilots from ANY kind of recourse when they are getting F'd over by management - No strike, no sickout, no "fly-to-rule" campaigns, etc.

-OR-

B. Reliable air transportation is NOT SO VITAL that we have no obligation to get anyone anywhere within any sort of reasonable time - say 12 hours for foreseeable short-term events, (P.M. T-storms, MX cancellations, missed connections, etc.) or, within 24 hours of the end of a SIGNIFICANT weather event (Blizzard, floods, fog lasting several days, etc.)

Well its 0200 and I'm sitting at a computer looking at loads. Why? My daughter has been stranded for over a day now. Every time we find a flight (going anywhere) it looks like she could get out on, when the time comes the standby list suddenly fills up with revenue pax bumped from a previous flight because over overbooking.

This is the wrong time of year to nonRev... Stick to Winter/Fall/early AM flights on Wednesdays and Holiday Days. =/

This is the wrong time of year to nonRev... Stick to Winter/Fall/early AM flights on Wednesdays and Holiday Days. =/

For anyone who wants to use my passes, I tell them 1) first flight of day, 2) Tues-Thurs + Sat, and 3) slow time of year.
Despite my discouragement, my niece used a nonrev pass during the summer. She got from MKE to ORD on the first flight of the day. Her destination was DEN. She spent the rest of the day going between flights to DEN and COS. Finally made the last flight of the day to COS. That was a couple of years ago. She's nonreved once since then, with my daughter.
They flew during the Christmas holiday to Europe. I had to fly them into GVA a few days before Christmas and out of ZRH a week after New Years. But they did get C class both ways. I told them to forget about getting into Italy, France, UK, or Germany (other destinations during their trip) because the flights were too full.

For anyone who wants to use my passes, I tell them 1) first flight of day, 2) Tues-Thurs + Sat, and 3) slow time of year.
Despite my discouragement, my niece used a nonrev pass during the summer. She got from MKE to ORD on the first flight of the day. Her destination was DEN. She spent the rest of the day going between flights to DEN and COS. Finally made the last flight of the day to COS. That was a couple of years ago. She's nonreved once since then, with my daughter.
They flew during the Christmas holiday to Europe. I had to fly them into GVA a few days before Christmas and out of ZRH a week after New Years. But they did get C class both ways. I told them to forget about getting into Italy, France, UK, or Germany (other destinations during their trip) because the flights were too full.

Neat story.

Except I'm not the one bitching about non-revving on a long weekend. That IS kinda stupid. I'm planning to travel over Christmas. Yup, buying full fare tix.

Here's my point: Choose one and only one.

A. Reliable air transportation is SO VITAL to the national economy and infrastructure that we have to have special rules which essentially forbid pilots from ANY kind of recourse when they are getting F'd over by management - No strike, no sickout, no "fly-to-rule" campaigns, etc.

-OR-

B. Reliable air transportation is NOT SO VITAL that we have no obligation to get anyone anywhere within any sort of reasonable time - say 12 hours for
foreseeable short-term events, (P.M. T-storms, MX cancellations, missed connections, etc.) or, within 24 hours of the end of a SIGNIFICANT weather event (Blizzard, floods, fog lasting several days, etc.)

+1 The current system is FUBAR.

I stupidly took the whole fam damily to HNL on Easter Sun. We got there no problem. Getting home was a nightmare. Spent 17 hours at the airport and got bumped 5 times. Couldn't get 1 family member out. Before we left there were 21 open in first with only 7 listed for the flight home. But with all the upgrades they offer and all the overbooked flights I ended up spending $3400 to get us all home....4 days later. Won't be going back to HNL over spring break again!

At least we were trapped in HNL!

Aloha

I stupidly took the whole fam damily to HNL on Easter Sun. We got there no problem. Getting home was a nightmare. Spent 17 hours at the airport and got bumped 5 times. Couldn't get 1 family member out. Before we left there were 21 open in first with only 7 listed for the flight home. But with all the upgrades they offer and all the overbooked flights I ended up spending $3400 to get us all home....4 days later. Won't be going back to HNL over spring break again!

At least we were trapped in HNL!

Aloha

I live here on Oahu, if you want to non-rev you really need to look at October or Feb, other than that, it is usually a nightmare. I've seen the nonrev list over 200 for an oversold flight for a week before during the summer. Thanksgiving to New years is high season in Hawaii along with spring and summer.
Aloha!

Latest resources

Back