Delta: The king of overbooking

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetstream

Well its 0200 and I'm sitting at a computer looking at loads. Why? My daughter has been stranded for over a day now. Every time we find a flight (going anywhere) it looks like she could get out on, when the time comes the standby list suddenly fills up with revenue pax bumped from a previous flight because over overbooking.

^ agree

airlines aren't in the business to provide free and easy non-rev to their employees. Its a perk that isn't what it used to be. If I really need to be somewhere, I just fork up the extra money.

Jetstream, it's spring break!
AA and DFW had quite a few flight cx due to hail.
Bad time to nonrev no matter which airline.

Jetstream, it's spring break!

Spring break didn't cause the problem. The sudden appearance of involuntary bumps from previous flights did. As I said, she would show up for a flight that it looked like she would make only to have a bunch of bumped passengers appear on the standby list and push her off.

Can't count how many times a week I walk past a gate and hear announcments asking for volunteers cause the fight is oversold.

Bought her a ticket on SouthWest.

Over and out.

When you have generally full flights on a holiday weekend it is to be expected. Passengers miss their connections so it just rolls down hill. Bad time of the year to nonrev.

Well its 0200 and I'm sitting at a computer looking at loads. Why? My daughter has been stranded for over a day now. Every time we find a flight (going anywhere) it looks like she could get out on, when the time comes the standby list suddenly fills up with revenue pax bumped from a previous flight because over overbooking.

I sympathize with your plight as I have been there myself, but to assume that it is caused by overbooking is a stretch. Sure, there is some overbooking, but it's more likely that it is caused by missed connections from earlier late or cancelled flights.

Unfortunately, that's the new normal in nonrevving. I don't care what time of year it is; the flights are full. You have to choose something like midweek or Saturday travel to have a chance of nonrevving. And it has to be the first flight of the day to have the best chance.
It stinks but that's the way it's been for a while now. I don't like giving nonrev passes to people for this reason.
I recommend that, in the future, you consider having a ZED positive space ticket as a backup. Hope this helps.

Edit: When I only had nonrev tickets available to me, no jumpseat and no ZED while on furlough, I would buy fully refundable advance tickets on Southwest/AirTran/other carriers. I'd buy them a few weeks in advance and made them for flights after my last nonrev option. They weren't too expensive and I would cancel them when I got a nonrev seat. I think that the best fully refundable deals were on AirTran and second Southwest. ... just another tool to consider.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back