Delta Terminates Mesa Contract!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Slight reduction

I don't think the 50 seat reduction is going to be very large at all. I know that at SKYW, DAL has basically pulled three 50 seaters in conjunction with service cuts, but has also instructed SKYW not to redeploy these aircraft and to keep them in DAL colors.

What that suggests to me, is more of a weeding out process of connection carriers, substituting a few 50 seaters for MD's, and cancelling some RJ only destinations that don't have much frequency anyway.

DAL has already stated their intentions to ramp up the international flying and it WILL come at the expense of narrow body domestic. All you have to do is look at the trend of the past 10 years for all the legacies. There is no sign of a trend reversal of replacing RJ's with narrow bodies.

Mesa shares tumbled following the carrier's report that Delta plans to terminate a contract with the company due to issues with the number of flights it completed.

I have been a victim many times by their cancelled mess, cannot imagine the frustration on the passengers part.

Imagine the frustartion trying to work the flights as a CSM when they are as unreliable as Freedom's are. That's the situaton my wife, a Delta agent and her friends deal with on a daily basis. It got so bad that the first thing that the early morning shift now does after opening the station is take a look at all the Freedom flights scheduled to operate that day, and rebook all the connections prior to the flights scheduled departure time. This way,in case they cancel ,which is often the case, the passengers are covered and the agents aren't caught flat footed. Sad part is that most of those Freedom flights operated to JFK with lots of international connections that were blown or in some cases rebooked on other carriers . Not good when you consider that this is where Delta is trying to make a name for itself, and the lost revenue when they had to rebook the international conex on other carriers.

PHXFLYR:cool:

DAL has already stated their intentions to ramp up the international flying and it WILL come at the expense of narrow body domestic. All you have to do is look at the trend of the past 10 years for all the legacies. There is no sign of a trend reversal of replacing RJ's with narrow bodies.

Just like there is no sign of a trend continuation towards outsourcing 150 seaters at ACMI providers. Nice try though, keep hoping.

$100+/barrel oil and the high fuel-CASM of the 50 seaters has sealed their fate.

I don't think the 50 seat reduction is going to be very large at all. I know that at SKYW, DAL has basically pulled three 50 seaters in conjunction with service cuts, but has also instructed SKYW not to redeploy these aircraft and to keep them in DAL colors.

What that suggests to me, is more of a weeding out process of connection carriers, substituting a few 50 seaters for MD's, and cancelling some RJ only destinations that don't have much frequency anyway.

One of the reasons we have had economic problems at the airlines now is because of agreements made with regional lift providers, like SkyWest. Some of the agreements were made at opportune times for the Regionals only (like when we were in BK), and now we cannot easily pull the plug. Everyone knows 50 seat RJs cannot be very profitable at all during high oil. Yes, we are weeding out certain RJ flights, but we currently do not have replacement aircraft for all of the RJs. Even the 6 737-700s we will be getting this year are all slated to fly INTL type routes, or routes RJs couldn't do---like LGA to Vail, CO. IF we ever merge with NWA, there might be a different story. They have 100 seaters (older DC9s) that could be used to replace multitple RJ frequencies---fly 3 DC9s to Billings from SLC instead of 6 daily RJs etc. That would funnel everyone onto those 3 DC9s, filling them up. And those MD90s that are still available could be used to cheaply cover the replacement of current routes served by DC9s. (we have already inspected many of the MD90s out there--in China and Japan). Hopefully that is where things are leading. 50 seat RJs and high gas will never mix.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I don't know about you, but I think 36 AC on short notice is a pretty big cut already. I have the feeling that this might just be a start. Perhaps they may want SKYW to keep them DAL colors for operational reliability.... that is the reason that F8 got cut. I was told in ATL that Delta was going to decrease domestic capacity originally by 5% and then it changed to 10%. RJ operations are a huge part of domestic capacity.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back