• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta TA on SCOPE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do YOU get igneousy, "get" that I was a legacy pilot?

Are you saying that someone who expected a career at mainline, but was forced out in large part due to outsourcing, can't express an opinion on outsourcing ONLY bc of where I work now?

...and you STILL don't get it....you still don't see the contradiction. Everybody wants your hourly rate, right now, but that won't last long, the legacies got whacked pretty good, but it'll come back one step at a time.

I would guess that most of us on here wouldn't want your retirement "plan", work rules, work with guys that taxi-around at VR and then run out onto the ramp and start off-loading bags either.

Let's be clear, what little you have done at SWA to help this profession is far off-set by the damage that was done all those years agreeing to work harder for a fraction of what everybody else was getting.

You have only now reached, where the rest of legacies were back in 2001. They have all been knocked down and you have been left standing. That's great, and I don't wish any harm onto your pilot group, But don't come on here like your group are a bunch of trail-blazers at the edge of the envelope in improving conditions for pilots. That they are not.

Scope
While the changes to scope are harder to quantify than pay, I do believe that there is an overall improvement in scope. I do not, however, believe it is a “home run” as others have stated. Block hours will transfer from the DCI carriers to the mainline under this agreement. I think we can all agree that the transfer of flying from DCI to mainline is a good thing. However, when we look at the scope section closely, it is not as rosy as some will have you believe. Note also that the pilot group did not receive any “negotiating credit” for the scope changes that the Company wanted.

Current RJ Limits

• Unlimited propeller-driven aircraft up to 70 seats

• Unlimited jet aircraft up to 50 seats

• 255 limit on 70/76-seat jet aircraft. Currently there are 102 70-seat jet aircraft and 153 76-seat aircraft. Total 255.

• 3 to 1 growth of 76-seat aircraft/mainline once there are 767 aircraft on the mainline, up to a maximum of 255 76-seat aircraft.

TA Limits

• Hard cap of 450 DCI aircraft (with a few limited exceptions). GOOD

• Hard cap of 125 50-seat aircraft. GOOD

• Hard cap of 102 70-seat aircraft EVEN

• Hard cap of 223 76-seat aircraft. (Must take delivery of all 88 B-717 aircraft.) BAD

While we have accomplished setting a “hard cap” on the DCI carriers’ fleets, we have allowed the company to outsource an additional 70 76-seat jets. Under the current PWA, the company could exchange 70-seat RJs for 76-seat RJs if the mainline fleet exceeded 767. While technically they could increase the number of 76-seat aircraft up to a limit of 255, this scenario is highly unlikely. I doubt the company could justify the additional expense of (in most cases) swapping to a 76-seat jet just to add 6 seats. The additional 76-seat RJs are equivalent to “two Compass Airlines.” The key point is that there will be 325 70/76-seat jets that will be outsourced under this agreement. I remember that when I got hired at Northwest, the number of DC-9s on the property (note that this was before the small RJs were born) totaled around 180 aircraft. In the ensuing 17 years, the numbers of RJs have increased by the hundreds, while mainline aircraft have dwindled. That is a hard pill to swallow. Also understand that the block-hour (BH) ratios in place between domestic mainline and DCI do not make a distinction between which DCI aircraft block hours would be pulled down if the Company fell out of compliance due to a domestic mainline BH reduction. This means that if DCI needs to reduce their block hours, the carriers (and Delta) could choose to further reduce 50-seat block hours and leave the 76-seat block hours untouched. In an extreme example that incorporated a significant domestic mainline BH reduction, it could be possible that the DCI flying would be comprised of only 76-seat RJs.
So, in an increasing BH environment, DCI can only add 76-seat RJs as 717s arrive at mainline. That’s positive. However, in a decreasing BH environment, the disincentive/penalty for the company isn’t as great, since they can return to compliance by reducing usage in the smaller, more inefficient aircraft that they want to ultimately “park” anyway. It’s more negative for the pilot group when potentially larger domestic mainline aircraft are reduced than the Company’s disincentive for doing so.

Again- this^^^
It's a rational argument to vote no.

-900's become industry standard if DALPA votes this in.

As per a MEC vote and how the Reps voted and why is great information. I am not a fan of "let all the losing voters change their votes so that we can present a united front for the membership" practice because it presents a false reality. I am all about being a team player and living with what the majority voted but there is an issue here that needs to be addressed.

There might be something about those who say the ones who lost in their vote published the counter point out of spite because they lost. That can hold water in an argument because this is such an explosive issue. But what really matters here is information dissemination. We as members need all the information to make a well informed vote. Every Rep standing for the vote sends a message that their decision is the one they want and expect the membership to make.

I don't know about your MEC, but ours in the past have been less about transparency and more about making sure everyone was toe to the line. Even their slide show presentations about pay and seniority were right out of a book I read in college "how to lie with statistics".

All I am saying is it is good to have all the information and know the opinions of those who have ALL of the information concerning a situation.

I am a regional Pilot and stand to lose my captain position and maybe even my job over this TA and I still think that scope should be tightened more than this TA requires. But it is not my flying to protect but I do not want to be a regional pilot for too much longer.

I just hope the Delta pilots make the right decision for themselves and for the right reasons.

...I just hope the Delta pilots make the right decision for themselves and for the right reasons.

Have complete confidence that ALPA leaders make the right decision about what information you need to have (and don't need to have) in order for you to make the best decision for them.

Well you may disagree with me above, but I have to say you hit the head on the nail here. This isn't SWA bashing at all, it's simply reality. SWA is doing well now and good for them. I don't hold anything against them at all and frankly, you have to give SWA credit for raising the bar regarding the importance of treating the employee's well and how that positively effects the profits (although it appears their little warrior spirit mantra is pretty clearly a ruse to get them to be more co-operative come contract time!) But a SWA pilot bashing the legacies is classless, lacking in perspective and just plan hypocritical.
When we look back 10 years from now, it will be the ALPA legacies that will raise the bar for our industry, not SWAPA.
ALPA never saw a dollar you had that they wouldn't give to your company if it got them another dime in dues.

If I had a dime for every time I heard ALPA bluster about raising the bar I wouldn't have to sell pencils on the street corner before going to dinner on my overnights. :lol:

ALPA never saw a dollar you had that they wouldn't give to your company if it got them another dime in dues.

Help me out here. How does ALPA negotiating pay cuts/meager increases increase their dues?

Help me out here. How does ALPA negotiating pay cuts/meager increases increase their dues?

:lol: let's argue about the preservation of their dime and be distracted from our dollar.

ALPA good. ALPA do no wrong. ALPA live today, fight tomorrow. ALPA important like air you breath. Pull my finger!

Do YOU get igneousy, "get" that I was a legacy pilot?

Are you saying that someone who expected a career at mainline, but was forced out in large part due to outsourcing, can't express an opinion on outsourcing ONLY bc of where I work now?

I thought I was prety clear that I was responding to Bubba in this instance.

:lol: let's argue about the preservation of their dime and be distracted from our dollar.

ALPA good. ALPA do no wrong. ALPA live today, fight tomorrow. ALPA important like air you breath. Pull my finger!

Logic not your strong point? I understand. Try answering the question more slowly.

Latest resources

Back