Delta Strike?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
astroglider said:
There seems to be a lot of discussion about how long a DAL strike might last.

My prediction is the contract will never be thrown out. The arbitration board will never allow it. However the decision by the arbitrators will be delayed and delayed. Eventually there will some kind of agreement reached sometime in May.

My alternate prediction is this: the arbitrators throw the contract out, DAL pilots strike...it will be a short strike too because...the creditors will take away their support. Like Gerry said, if that happens "Delta's cooked". There will be ZERO picketing as pilots will be scambling to secure another job.

CFIT said:
My Guess....

No strike, small pay cut, minor work rule hits, scope similar to NW for 76 seats. Passes 56%

HALinTexas said:
There will be no strike!!! You will roll over just like NW did.

Hey, Gen didn't you say something about a snapback from your first paycut. 1% isn't a snapback, it doesn't even keep up with inflation.

I predict 100 seaters and less to be farmed out to Mesa and you take the 300 million cut.

Oh more international flying thats four years old sir.

And next week on "Days of our lives." Geez guys this sounds like a daytime soap!

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Sure plenty have done that, but the majority think these constant attacks on our pay and work rules shouldn't happen to them when they finally have made it "to the big time" (a widebody Capt). Most of the guys I fly with or talk to have other options besides going back to an RJ. A lot of them are still fairly young, and flew the 737 in the left seat with plenty of PIC on it--and will probably try to go to Southwest as they expand into our old hubs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

And Southwest will be running to hire old Delta guys who went on strike. Most people forget that not so long ago Southwest was looked at as a second option by most guys. Funny how the tables have turned.

Financial planner check. You must retire by 60. If you don't want to work again after 60 you will need somewhere around 3 million in the bank. The heavy military background at Delta will need less. All the pilots at Delta are in there prime earning years. Compound interest, yada yada yada... If you lose your job you will be screwed. Starting over at $19000 or $30000 when you are used to your current lifestyle will ensure you end up at Netjets working until 70.
I'm not even talking about the guys with X wives or poor financial skills who are paycheck to paycheck. I'm talking about the smart ones.
So can we stop with the bravado. We all know you don't want to be working at 70 so lets face facts... You will have a choice... Pay cut or scope... which are you going to take.

Crash Pad said:
Financial planner check. You must retire by 60. If you don't want to work again after 60 you will need somewhere around 3 million in the bank. The heavy military background at Delta will need less. All the pilots at Delta are in there prime earning years. Compound interest, yada yada yada... If you lose your job you will be screwed. Starting over at $19000 or $30000 when you are used to your current lifestyle will ensure you end up at Netjets working until 70.
I'm not even talking about the guys with X wives or poor financial skills who are paycheck to paycheck. I'm talking about the smart ones.
So can we stop with the bravado. We all know you don't want to be working at 70 so lets face facts... You will have a choice... Pay cut or scope... which are you going to take.

Choice number 3, strike if our contract is thrown out. 3 million to retire at 60? Did you pull this # out of your a**? I will need 2 million at 60 and am well on my way. No ex wives or expensive toys. You assume everyone will start out at 19-30k flying somewhere else. Some of us have no desire to seek another flying job and plan on entering different fields using our college/graduate degrees. No pay cut and no changes in scope gets my vote. Otherwise liquidate for all I care.

I don't understand why this point is not understood. From what I hear over and over again from my Delta friends, if the contract is thrown out, the pilots WILL strike. Do not throw out the contract - it is better to negotiate. No contract = strike. It really can't be much clearer than that...

Delta mainline to lose more flying to regionals

SkyWest ready to spread wings with bigger jets
Delta Connection: The aircraft hold 70 passengers, and bigger planes might be next
By Paul Beebe
The Salt Lake Tribune

SkyWest Airlines has started a slow upgrade of its Delta Connection fleet to larger aircraft with the acquisition of three 70-passenger regional jetliners earlier this month. It also expects to take delivery of two more jetliners in April.
Earlier this month, the St. George-based carrier added a trio of Bombardier CRJ-700 jetliners that will be stationed at Salt Lake City International Airport, beginning April 1. SkyWest will operate the jets under its marketing agreement with Delta Air Lines.
Another two CRJ-700s will join the SkyWest fleet next month and go into service in May, Chairman Jerry Atkin said Wednesday.
"Right now, there will be five that will be operated by SkyWest under the Delta Connection banner. Beyond those five, it's a bit uncertain. We do have 17 additional 700s on order for Delta, and some will go to Atlanta [to be operated by its Atlantic Southeast Airlines subsidiary] and some [probably] will go to Salt Lake," Atkin said.
ASA and SkyWest are subsidiaries of SkyWest Inc., which has close to 90 CRJ-700 jetliners. Until now, only ASA flew CRJ-700s for Delta, while SkyWest flew them for United Airlines under the United Express banner.
Atkin said even bigger aircraft may be in the works for its Delta Connection service. Delta is negotiating with its pilots for permission to hire regional airlines like SkyWest and ASA to fly jets with more than 70 passengers. If the pilots agree, SkyWest could acquire 90-seat aircraft.
SkyWest is moving to larger jets because there is a need for them in some of its markets. And the cost of flying larger aircraft is cheaper, Atkin said.

We won't agree. I bet we will vote DOWN any TA that includes that. I am glad they put that clause in that article---IF THE PILOTS AGREE.

Bye Bye--General Lee

So what is time line now with Delta. As right now are they in arbritation? How long does that last? Do you think the pension is gone? Any ideas how long it will be to come to an agreentment?

RJET said:
So what is time line now with Delta. As right now are they in arbritation? How long does that last? Do you think the pension is gone? Any ideas how long it will be to come to an agreentment?

Yes, the arbitration, which is NOT binding (it only deals with the 1113c and whether or not it will be allowed) can last 45 days from March 1st, or until April 15th. They can have a ruling before that, though. Management has stated that it is "Very likely" that the pilot pensions will be dropped, even though new legislation from Congress might be able to save the pensions of the Non-union workers. And, Delta is so far refusing to give us any credit on the $200 million or so they WOULD save if they dropped our pensions, per year. As far as an agreement, no idea. It will get nasty until we get a TA, and we may not even vote it in if it is not acceptable. DL needs a pilot agreement to get any exit financing.

Bye Bye---General Lee

800Dog said:
Choice number 3, strike if our contract is thrown out. 3 million to retire at 60? Did you pull this # out of your a**? I will need 2 million at 60 and am well on my way. No ex wives or expensive toys. You assume everyone will start out at 19-30k flying somewhere else. Some of us have no desire to seek another flying job and plan on entering different fields using our college/graduate degrees. No pay cut and no changes in scope gets my vote. Otherwise liquidate for all I care.

Let me begin by saying you are one of the smart ones who has done everything right. I'm guessing most Delta pilot aren't in your boat. That being said studies have shown that a family that goes to a single income without curbing spending is usually bankrupt in two years. How long is your job search going to be? How quickly can you curtail spending? The rules of compound interest depend on you not touching principal... $50,000 spent while you are job hunting could seriously delay that 2 million.

3 Million comes from this... You and the wife could live for another 30 years. Assuming you start playing the investments safe with a 5% return you will be bringing in $150,000 a year. That should replace your current income. 30 years, Inflation, medical, loss of social security, loss of medicare/medicaid, coming tax increases... Don't forget about the plumet of the dollar that will come in our lifetime... Three million will put you in good shape to 90. With 2 million you need a 7% return to bring in $140,000... just tightens the margins.

I will say this about your college and graduate degrees. While some of you may have graduate degrees most of you don't. The college degrees you obtained in 1985 are obsolete. While some of you may find other gainful employment the vast majority will not. The corporate world is not falling over themselves for 40+ year old buisness majors who have been shooting ILS's for the last 20 years. Maybe your network of pilots will help you out... Oops they're in the same boat. You can read "Bait and Switch" for more on the topic. Age is not on your side.

If you think I'm full of crap go fire up the resume and go job hunting. Pilots have plenty of time to do this. See what you dig up. Talk to your "contacts" and see what they have available. You may be in good shape but I am willing to bet 50+% of Delta pilots aren't.
So again. Will it be the paycut or scope... You have to cave on one.

Latest resources

Back