Delta Strike?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

astroglider

There seems to be a lot of discussion about how long a DAL strike might last.

My prediction is the contract will never be thrown out. The arbitration board will never allow it. However the decision by the arbitrators will be delayed and delayed. Eventually there will some kind of agreement reached sometime in May.

My alternate prediction is this: the arbitrators throw the contract out, DAL pilots strike...it will be a short strike too because...the creditors will take away their support. Like Gerry said, if that happens "Delta's cooked". There will be ZERO picketing as pilots will be scambling to secure another job.

My Guess....

No strike, small pay cut, minor work rule hits, scope similar to NW for 76 seats. Passes 56%

SWEET! CFIT actually contributes something without slamming someone. I don't care if I disagree with him, as long as he has an opinion. Good for him.

Anyway, I think it will be nasty, and in the end we will show resolve and that will spook the creditors into taking a little less. We will allow some more 70 seaters, but nothing larger. The pay cuts will stop, and I bet we will keep this current 14% pay cut. I can see some sort of small snap backs (DL is currently offering 1.5% one year, and I think 1% the next) in the 3-4% range per year. We will probably get some sort of increase in the DC plan---UAL gets a 15% contribution for every paycheck. We will also probably get some stock. I don't see givebacks on scope at all except those additional 70 seaters to REPLACE current 50 seaters. Maybe up to 200, instead of the current 125 limit now.

But, if they get to throw out our contract, we will strike, since going without a contract will leave us with NO protections, like merger protections, fragmentation protections, and even a seniority list. If they decided to dump the 8 777s, they could furlough the FOs and CAPTs out of seniority, since there wouldn't be a seniority list. That is a no no.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Delta will never strike

There will be no strike!!! You will roll over just like NW did.

Hey, Gen didn't you say something about a snapback from your first paycut. 1% isn't a snapback, it doesn't even keep up with inflation.

I predict 100 seaters and less to be farmed out to Mesa and you take the 300 million cut.

Oh more international flying thats four years old sir.

Last edited:
General,

Mgt. won't throw out the existing contract. They will replace it with one of their own choosing, and it has to be acceptable to the judge and the creditors. But not you.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. ALPA will cave. You will have a cr@ppy TA to vote on, but you'll ratify it.

You, me, and everyone else might be better off without a union or a contract if you're not going to enforce the one you got. That means shutting down the company if necessary. (Not to mention the false hopes and stress unions like to throw out there every time there's a contract past the amendable date.) Is it necessary now? If not now when? DALPA and NWALPA control the union. If it's not stopped now, then it will continue. ALPA is as big a joke as the airline managment teams running the industry.

ALPA exists to ensure its existence. That's it.

9rj9 said:
There will be no strike!!! You will roll over just like NW did.

Hey, Gen didn't you say something about a snapback from your first paycut. 1% isn't a snapback, it doesn't even keep up with inflation.

I predict 100 seaters and less to be farmed out to Mesa and you take the 300 million cut.

Oh more international flying thats four years old sir.

You are full of it. Your predictions are way off, primarily because everyone here that is left (minus the 2300 loyal captains that just left) actually was faced with RJs and their affects on this business. We don't have many guys that have been flying widebodies for the last ten years, not caring about RJs. We now have guys in the left seat of the widebodies that were just MD88 and 737-200 captains just 18 months ago. They all still remember, and they will vote accordingly. Every Captain I have talked to (not all of them of course) has said "F them." I'm serious. But, you can believe whatever you want there chief.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
HalinTexas said:
General,

Mgt. won't throw out the existing contract. They will replace it with one of their own choosing, and it has to be acceptable to the judge and the creditors. But not you.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. ALPA will cave. You will have a cr@ppy TA to vote on, but you'll ratify it.

You, me, and everyone else might be better off without a union or a contract if you're not going to enforce the one you got. That means shutting down the company if necessary. (Not to mention the false hopes and stress unions like to throw out there every time there's a contract past the amendable date.) Is it necessary now? If not now when? DALPA and NWALPA control the union. If it's not stopped now, then it will continue. ALPA is as big a joke as the airline managment teams running the industry.

ALPA exists to ensure its existence. That's it.

Just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean we will follow like you guys did. I can see your hatred towards ALPA, and many do think it is a weak union. Not every airline has super senior old pilots winning everything, and the junior folk losing. The key with our vote is that we now have the majority being our junior pilots, and that will result in voting a TA down that doesn't meet our needs. No more pension to worry about---like NW. We already know it will be dumped---they stated it in court. So, what is left? Scope, no more pay cuts, etc. That will be the line, because the pension issue is dead. That is the difference here.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The anwser is real simple. If the contract is rejected the pilots will strike, if the Bankruptcy Protection Letter is honored, or there is a consentual agreement, there will be no strike.

Well, just to play devils advocate:)

I would imagine, that the pilots who moved over to the widebodies, due to the retirements, are pretty happy about their lot in life and would find it really hard to start over flying a Dash 8 or RJ for even the best regional.

I could be wrong, I often am :erm:

Dizel8 said:
Well, just to play devils advocate:)

I would imagine, that the pilots who moved over to the widebodies, due to the retirements, are pretty happy about their lot in life and would find it really hard to start over flying a Dash 8 or RJ for even the best regional.

I could be wrong, I often am :erm:

Sure plenty have done that, but the majority think these constant attacks on our pay and work rules shouldn't happen to them when they finally have made it "to the big time" (a widebody Capt). Most of the guys I fly with or talk to have other options besides going back to an RJ. A lot of them are still fairly young, and flew the 737 in the left seat with plenty of PIC on it--and will probably try to go to Southwest as they expand into our old hubs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back