Delta Strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CHAOS...instead of full out strike

I think it would be better to do CHAOS rather than a full out strike...i can imagine a fully loaded 777 going to hang shang pang...then pilots getting up out of the seats 5 minutes prior to takeoff....have a pleasant day! imagine that happening on strategic overnight flights systemwide...worked great for various f/a groups industrywide...

the kicker to mgmt...they are still having to make payroll while the effects of the strike are crippling. hopefully, that kind of threat would thwart any type of action all together and negotiated agreement will prevail...

LandGreen said:
I think it would be better to do CHAOS rather than a full out strike...i can imagine a fully loaded 777 going to hang shang pang...then pilots getting up out of the seats 5 minutes prior to takeoff....have a pleasant day! imagine that happening on strategic overnight flights systemwide...worked great for various f/a groups industrywide...

the kicker to mgmt...they are still having to make payroll while the effects of the strike are crippling. hopefully, that kind of threat would thwart any type of action all together and negotiated agreement will prevail...

Stupid suggestion from someone who probably has no risk in this debacle. First thing that would happen is this crew would be fired. Secondly this is not like negotiating for a new contract while things are good. If you want to put the airline out of business (in all likelyhood), just strike. That will send a very strong message to the investors, management and the courts. Putting various individuals at risk of termination is not the way to accomplish this goal. If you want to play this kind of hard ball, you better have an overwhelming strike vote, because you will never get these pilots back unless you are willing to hit the bricks for real.

Having been involved in a few WOE programs, you will always find someone who just doesn't get it and does something so out of bounds that they bring serious risk to the entire pilot group. As I recall the last job action like this at AA cost the union some staggering amount of money. They may have mitigated this huge sum in later negotiations, but it still cost plenty. The situation that Delta pilots find them selves in requires very clear thinking on the part of the leadership. I am confident that those people are in place and will measure every step they take and the risks involved for the entire pilot group. This is not going to be a quickdraw contest of wills, that I am sure of.

Chuck Yogourt said:
This isn't flame bait. I am saying the Delta pilots are full of it and will take whatever the judge throws at them.DALPA can kick and scream and in the end, they will bend over. They will not strike, they will not resign in mass numbers and they will report for their trips making about what an Air Willy captain does.

Hey UP-CHUCK, your salavating at the demise of Delta makes you one of the most pitiful piots on this board. No one worth his salt looks fondly at the demise of one of his fellow pilots...........except you of course.

Dizel8 said:
Back to living on a pager, flying your buns off? While conceivable that you might be willing, I bet the vast majority have no desire to entertain such prospects, not that I blame them.

Nothing personal, but I will bet you a couple of your favorites beverages, that there will be no strike at Delta. We got a deal?

I also believe there will no strike, but not because the pilots won't. I think the company will back down and accept less than $325mil. I think they just started reaching for the most that they could get at a time when they percieved it beneficial to do so. I think the DAL pilots will scare them a little into backing off. And if Judge Beatty is worth her salt, she will see thru the faulty logic the DAL lawyers are using to back up their story.

Spooky 1 said:
Stupid suggestion from someone who probably has no risk in this debacle. First thing that would happen is this crew would be fired. Secondly this is not like negotiating for a new contract while things are good. If you want to put the airline out of business (in all likelyhood), just strike. That will send a very strong message to the investors, management and the courts. Putting various individuals at risk of termination is not the way to accomplish this goal. If you want to play this kind of hard ball, you better have an overwhelming strike vote, because you will never get these pilots back unless you are willing to hit the bricks for real.

Having been involved in a few WOE programs, you will always find someone who just doesn't get it and does something so out of bounds that they bring serious risk to the entire pilot group. As I recall the last job action like this at AA cost the union some staggering amount of money. They may have mitigated this huge sum in later negotiations, but it still cost plenty. The situation that Delta pilots find them selves in requires very clear thinking on the part of the leadership. I am confident that those people are in place and will measure every step they take and the risks involved for the entire pilot group. This is not going to be a quickdraw contest of wills, that I am sure of.

Wow Spooky...didn't mean to hit a nerve!
I am no expert here in strike stuff...(of course, none of us are either) but I know this thing worked at other carriers..of course there will be hostages taken, but if DAL goes full blown stike...everyone is jobless. so...you can take a risk and gamble a few...if they get fired...the pilots will have to support them till they get back on the line...that is what is great about a union right...take care of your own...never leave a guy on the battlefield...if i knew that the union would take care of me and pay my salary if fired until an agreement was undertaken...i would think it would be an easier action to swallow. depends on how united you are i guess!

Homer Jay said:
In the event the judge throws out the contract, are the pilots free to strike at any time or is there still a 30 day cooling off? Just wondering what kind of time frame we're looking at. Thanks and good luck!

These are not normal section 6 negotiations, there is no cooling off period.

No contract, no pilots. The Delta pilots can simply set the brakes and walk off the airplanes when the contract is thrown out. In Hawaii, Judge Faris has just warned Aloha EXACTLY that.

LandGreen said:
I think it would be better to do CHAOS rather than a full out strike...i can imagine a fully loaded 777 going to hang shang pang...then pilots getting up out of the seats 5 minutes prior to takeoff....have a pleasant day! imagine that happening on strategic overnight flights systemwide...worked great for various f/a groups industrywide..

Oh, that must be what they mean when they say "Restore the Profession"

True professionals don't walk off the job, leaving innocent people standing.

islandhopper said:
These are not normal section 6 negotiations, there is no cooling off period.

No contract, no pilots. The Delta pilots can simply set the brakes and walk off the airplanes when the contract is thrown out. In Hawaii, Judge Faris has just warned Aloha EXACTLY that.

If they walk off the airplanes, they will have just fired themselves.

LandGreen said:
Wow Spooky...didn't mean to hit a nerve!
I am no expert here in strike stuff...(of course, none of us are either) but I know this thing worked at other carriers..of course there will be hostages taken, but if DAL goes full blown stike...everyone is jobless. so...you can take a risk and gamble a few...if they get fired...the pilots will have to support them till they get back on the line...that is what is great about a union right...take care of your own...never leave a guy on the battlefield...if i knew that the union would take care of me and pay my salary if fired until an agreement was undertaken...i would think it would be an easier action to swallow. depends on how united you are i guess!

You see these kind of job actions at some European carriers, most notably, the French, Italian and some British mainline carriers. This type of action is not seen very often today and the courts award to AA is a good reason to stay away from blatent, overt slow downs, sickouts, or WOE programs. They made it very clear (unless of course you are blind to begin with), that they will not tolerate this type of action on behalf of the pilot group(s). I think ALPA, who BTW has a lot to lose in this debacle, will take a careful measured approach to the situation at hand and do what ever it takes to preserve the jobs and not destroy the company at the same time. It is after all the employees company, not just the investors. If they fail, and they might, as nothing is certain in this day of labor vs corporations, then obviously the pilots have misjudged the stupidity of management, the courts and everyone else with so much to lose. Again, this is not a quickdraw contest. Let the pros work it out the best they can and all of us should wish them the best as anyone of you could be next.

Buckaroo said:
If they walk off the airplanes, they will have just fired themselves.

Not according to Judge Faris in Hawaii. Aloha is three weeks ahead of Delta in their 1113c process.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/11/11/business/story01.html

"Suppose the company wins?" Faris asked. "There could very well be a strike or a job action ... It would be much better for everybody if you settled this rather than have me do it for you."

As a matter of fact if the contracts are thrown out we can indeed strike. Immediately, no cooling off period, no NMB, no contract, no pilots.

Latest resources

Back