Delta Spanks Servicemen!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This really spins me up quick....

I really take most criticisms of my company as a joke.....we do some effed up stuff but one thing that really chaps my A$$ about this is how little credit WE DO GET FOR BENDING OVER BACKWARDS for our military servicemen and women.

We let them board first, SIT IN FIRST (Does SWA do that GUP?), use the medallion lines for security, free skyclub entry amongst other things. We fly them all over the world on military charters and CRAF flights. I have seen our Flight Attendants decorate the plane and bake cookies and brownies for our troops who are 12 hours out of an FOB as a thank you. I saw one girl bring a BOX of cards from her child's 4th grade class thanking the troops....

I have stood in the snow while we provided an honor guard for remains returning home. I have told the passengers to remain seated so that he could deplane first. ....In ATL, we have a dedicated baggage cart painted and segregated and secured only for our Troop remains, blessed by all denominations and sanctioned by the Chaplian command to return these heroes home with DIGNITY. People did this on their own time and yet we are the bad guys.

This is just some of the things Delta people do, not because we want a pat on the back, just so we can honor those who put it on the line for our country.

What's great is all the SWA types chiming in.....as if you wear a Flag tie and you are the ultimate Patriot. Unless we invade Texas, SWA won't be taking our troops to or from the battlefield, so throttle back and tell your marketing department to quit making this go viral because you should worry about keeping your planes intact and flying rather than piling on one STUPID gate agent.....

Rant over.....

Very well said

Only if their orders allowed for excess baggage.
An easy fix with an order modification.

The goverment pays full refundable fares as well. For what the goverment pays for a ticket on ANY airline-they should get free bags anyway.
They do, up to the airline's limit. SHould the airline allow the governement (or any other full fare customer) to fill the cargo compartment with 100 bags? Bags have weight. Weight cost money. It's business and the airlines aren't in business to lose money.

Yeah you get reimbursed, maybe in three months, after you file your travel claim. The servicemember still has to put the money up front. Why doesn't Delta put up the money upfront and file a claim with the government? And don't you think the baggage fees are a little excessive anyway?
If there is a three month wait, that's the government's fault, not Delta's. And why should Delta take on the the govenment's accounting problems? As far as the fees being excessive, well that's the free market. If the market won't accept the fees, then the airline's wouldn't charge them. It's funny, when all the airlines were cutting pay and benefits a few years ago, everyone was shouting to make the passenger pay the true cost of their ticket instead of subsidising it from employee pay. Now that the airlines are, you're crying excessive fees. I don't know about you, but I want my airline to make a profit - simple job security and a desire to maintain my pay and QOL.

Show me where the government has a reimbursement program for airlines (Delta) making a profit off of a soldiers luggage to be repaid to the soldier.

So, If you rape someone and then say you are sorry afterwards, is it OK?
It's in the Joint Travel regulations. Look it up. Should Delta fly Soldiers for a lose? And last time I checked, airlines were in business to make a proifit. It's not Delta's fault the governement's travel organizers didn't read Delta's ticketing/baggage policies before they bought the tickets.

I spent 20 years on active duty to include flying Desert Storm, Somalia, and Bosnia. I've been in the same situation as these servicemembers countless times. This is BS sensationalism. It is no different than what has allows been the normal for decades for servicemembers traveling on government orders. Reimbursement will happen and it's all covered in the regulations. The "righteous indignation" being posted here is crap - especially from those of you who do not have "military" or "both" in your profiles.

Tanker Clown - you're an idiot too.

Last edited:
Very well said

Lol- ive seen quite a few servicemen in uniform in the Admirals Club and Sky Club. When thanking them for serving, many say, "you don't get this type of service on SW. They don't give us free drinks in a private club or seats in first class."

Lol- I've seen quite a few servicemen in uniform in the Admirals Club and Sky Club. When thanking them for serving, many say, "you don't get this type of service on SWA. They don't give us free drinks in a private club or seats in first class."
SWA is a great airline. I love their jumpseat policies and use them at least twice a month. I buy tickets for my daughter to visit at least once a month. I see servicemembers traveling in uniform on SWA all the time. I have yet to see any preferential treatment for servicemembers on a SWA flight. I'm sure it happens but SWA's treatment of servicemembers is no better or worst than any other airlines.

SWA is a great airline. I love their jumpseat policies and use them at least twice a month. I buy tickets for my daughter to visit at least once a month. I see servicemembers traveling in uniform on SWA all the time. I have yet to see any preferential treatment for servicemembers on a SWA flight. I'm sure it happens but SWA's treatment of servicemembers is no better or worst than any other airlines.

Bingo!
How genuinely pathetic someone would use this mistake made by an airline employee to try and promote "my airline can beat up your airline".

Good point Bill. The PFC is only willing to die for you. You guys definitallty should screw him on the bags. He deserves it. Make sure you guys spit in his face and call him a baby killer before you rape him on the bags.

Clown, get out of the room and see Prairie Dog Town or something. You're giving the rest of the SWA employees an even worse name. Used to be a classy bunch of people. Now, not so much.

Last edited:
This really spins me up quick....

I really take most criticisms of my company as a joke.....we do some effed up stuff but one thing that really chaps my A$$ about this is how little credit WE DO GET FOR BENDING OVER BACKWARDS for our military servicemen and women.

We let them board first, SIT IN FIRST (Does SWA do that GUP?), use the medallion lines for security, free skyclub entry amongst other things. We fly them all over the world on military charters and CRAF flights. I have seen our Flight Attendants decorate the plane and bake cookies and brownies for our troops who are 12 hours out of an FOB as a thank you. I saw one girl bring a BOX of cards from her child's 4th grade class thanking the troops....

I have stood in the snow while we provided an honor guard for remains returning home. I have told the passengers to remain seated so that he could deplane first. ....In ATL, we have a dedicated baggage cart painted and segregated and secured only for our Troop remains, blessed by all denominations and sanctioned by the Chaplian command to return these heroes home with DIGNITY. People did this on their own time and yet we are the bad guys.

This is just some of the things Delta people do, not because we want a pat on the back, just so we can honor those who put it on the line for our country.

What's great is all the SWA types chiming in.....as if you wear a Flag tie and you are the ultimate Patriot. Unless we invade Texas, SWA won't be taking our troops to or from the battlefield, so throttle back and tell your marketing department to quit making this go viral because you should worry about keeping your planes intact and flying rather than piling on one STUPID gate agent.....

Rant over.....

Well said Bill, Delta (and NWA) have done a lot for the troops over the years. You could fill a book with the great things they and all the other airlines have done ferrying them home from the desert. There are stories that come out of CRAF flying that should make us all proud.

Clown, get out of the room and see Prairie Dog Town or something. You're giving the rest of the SWA employees an even worse name. Used to be a classy bunch of people. Now, not so much.

The really said thing is, someone said he is actually a SWA employee. Which, if true, is nothing short of bizarre.
There really does seem to be a sense of SWA folks on here trying to prove how good they are by putting down others.
We get it, they did very well setting up a lowcost route structure and keeping expenses down and productivity up. They always said they succeeded because they competed with the car, not other airlines. Now they have matured and no longer have the same cost advantages they had nor the fuel hedging advantage. They also are big enough that they can't grow without competing against other airlines. It will be interesting to see if they are as wonderful as they think they are. I'm reading a lot of press about people saying they are not so cheap anymore and not the bargain they use to be.

The really said thing is, someone said he is actually a SWA employee. Which, if true, is nothing short of bizarre.
There really does seem to be a sense of SWA folks on here trying to prove how good they are by putting down others.
We get it, they did very well setting up a lowcost route structure and keeping expenses down and productivity up. They always said they succeeded because they competed with the car, not other airlines. Now they have matured and no longer have the same cost advantages they had nor the fuel hedging advantage. They also are big enough that they can't grow without competing against other airlines. It will be interesting to see if they are as wonderful as they think they are. I'm reading a lot of press about people saying they are not so cheap anymore and not the bargain they use to be.

Hey Dan, what's this got to do with you guys SCREWING military people? Maybe instead of worrying about me, you guys should focus on treating a kid willing to die for you a little better. I know you guys are pissed about giving your flying and pay away, but jeeze...you shouldn't take it out on a soldier willing to die for you. Very unprofessional of Delta. Also shows their lack of patriotism.

Latest resources

Back