• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta RFP awarded....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know how it should work? Just like every other figgin union in the country. For example, my wife is a heavy equipment operating engineer. When her union goes on strike, other local chapters will NEVER and NEVER HAVE taken on the jobs of the union on strike.

Also other chapters never cross into anothers territory because they can do the work cheaper.

I ask again as I did in another thread, why is it that pilots that belong to the same union think it is OK to screw fellow union members that happen to work for a different company out of a job?

My answer to the Skywest guy that asks what he should do is, support your fellow pilot collegues by NOT flying CMR routes! Pilots should act and show support in the same way that every other friggin union does!

Again, notice that it is your fellow ALPA pilots at ASA taking most of "your" flying...

Just trying to keep you honest.

so, according to this fantasy, it would go something like this?

Delta (or whoever) has flying to award to a regional. They will only award to:

-current ALPA carriers (part of the club)
-for rates equal to or above those currently being paid ('raising the bar')
-only incremental or new flying, never in place of a current partner (having each others backs)

sounds super! I'm sure that if we all 'pull together' and 'stand strong' that this will surely come to pass.

...either that or the free market will decide. hmmmmmm.....

We have to abide by the law. Unfortunately, the law does not allow us to refuse flying unless it is struck work. Once a strike is over or a company being struck has liquidated, then that flying is no longer struck work, and no one has the legal ability to refuse it.

What if mainline MEC's negotiated into their contracts that all out sourced flying must be done by ALPA represented regionals? How about if we used what tools we have to start cleaning up the mess we have made?

What if mainline MEC's negotiated into their contracts that all out sourced flying must be done by ALPA represented regionals? How about if we used what tools we have to start cleaning up the mess we have made?

Great idea! Then management would say " what do you want to give up for that? pay rate, work rules, scope?" The mainline pilots would then say "nevermind"

So much for your little club.

I agree with you. That's exactly what needs to be done. The problem is convincing the mainline MECs to do this. They'll have to make it a strike issue to make it happen, and they'll likely have to actually strike in order to get it. It's exactly what needs to be done, but I doubt we'll see it happen in our lifetimes.

ALPA, scope, contracts, etc., are only stop-gap measures. In the end, the free market will rule. Each of you needs to decide your own stepping off point. At what point do you decide enough is enough and leave the industry.

Throughout history, every time the free market has been artificially hampered, the results have been poor.

All I am saying is, don't count on ALPA, MEC's, scope, for the security of your family.

I would like to see what the SkyWest guys would say if someone came in and undercut them?

They say we should not talk crap about them because "they believe in their mgmt" and "their mgmt will take care of them if they fly every jet in the world for a single rate"

They need to pop that bubble that is Skywest and return to the real world.

In the industry there for sure is no love for a skywest puke.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and quote the pertinent parts of my post:

You don't have to agree with us for not having ALPA on property (yet). You don't have to like our (for the most part) young, attractive FA's. You don't have to like the fact that there was a belief that management would take care of us if we agreed to fly larger a/c at a single rate. I won't try and convince anyone to like me or my pilot group, but man, how about a little reality?

I'll also trust that when you said

In the industry there for sure is no love for a skywest puke.
you meant to say

In the industry there for sure is no love for a puke.
I hope I'm right. Otherwise you would just be unreasonable.

Fly safe.

-JP

Latest resources

Back