Delta RFP awarded....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes. Next question.

Sorry PCL but Regulation is not the answer either. Look back at the history of this industry, all regulation did was prop up sick companies. Free Enterprise is the way of the economy. I'm the first person to say that people should be paid fairly and treated right. The major issue I have with Comair's lift being parcelled out is that many of the routes wouldn't be in the Delta system if Comair had not independently brought them to the system. Just like many of United's routes exist because Air Wisconsin brought them to the system. For most of DL's routes however it's Deltas flying to decide how it's going to be distributed.

Is the way they're doing it fair? No, but tell me a better way.

Sorry PCL but Regulation is not the answer either. Look back at the history of this industry, all regulation did was prop up sick companies.

Regulation only propped up sick companies toward the latter days of it. This was due to increased liberalization of regulation policies. In the earlier days of regulation where everything was very tightly regulated, the system worked well.

The air transportation system is vital to this country's (and the world's) economy. To allow it to be constantly on the brink of implosion is absurd. Remember, this industry has never made money. Any short-term profits have always been offset by mind-numbing losses. That will always be the case in a free market system with this industry. The only business model that works for consistent profits is SWA's model, and that model only allows for a very limited number of markets to be served (I believe SWA still only serves about 55 markets even after more than three decades in business). For a company to serve the smaller markets, it has to do so at a loss. That's why SWA doesn't do it. The problem is that these smaller markets must be served to keep the economy going. If we continue this failed de-regulation scheme indefinitely, then eventually these markets will stop receiving service completely. That's not good for this country.

Is the way they're doing it fair? No, but tell me a better way.

A better way? All Delta flying should be done by pilots on the DAL seniority list. Period.

A better way? All Delta flying should be done by pilots on the DAL seniority list. Period.[/quote]

There really is no such thing as "Delta flying," or United flying, Northwest flying, etc, etc, etc. This isn't like a physical product, or intellectual property that can be defined and protected--even then it's precarious. Because one labor group has a contract with a corporation, doesn't mean another competitor can't compete for or utilize the same routes.

You mention the necessity for a national air system, and I completely agree. But I don't think labor unions will ever be the shepards of this system, nor will management. In the end, the free market will determine who lives and dies. There will alway be groups of masochists who want to start airlines.

If ever there is a day when there aren't enough entrepreneurs who want to create and operate airlines, then the government will need to step in with tax credits, abatement, and positive legislation.

This may be a tough pill to swallow, but it's the honest to God truth.

Does anyone know who won the remaining RFP!

As long as the Delta pilots keep allowing outsourcing, nobody will "win" anything. My guess is they will never have the intestinal fortitude for such an undertaking, so git while the gittin's good!

DL is going to systematically dismantle CMR.

It has NOTHING to do with payrates. They're still pissed about the strike. Sorry about your luck.

Watch.

Blue canoe,
Delta is still pissed about the strike? They have a funny way of showing it. How much did we grow after the strike? Now they are going to teach us a lesson? That is like finding your dog going on the rug and giving him a treat and then a week later smacking him on the head.

I am not saying that Delta learned nothing from the strike. They learned not to put all of their eggs in one basket. CHQ now has a CVG base for example. However, I don't believe that large corporations typically make business decisions based purely on being "pissed." I think it is more like they try to control labor groups with union busting, propaganda, etc. Bottom line is, money talks. (This is not to say common sense prevailed on their side during the strike.) Besides, we had almost a 20% attrition rate last year alone. A good chunk of the strikers are gone and a some of the remainder were new-hires at the time.

With that, who knows what "brilliant" management will do to Comair. It may be to close up in a couple of weeks or get a massive 170/190 order. Either way, it will have had nothing to do with what happened 5 years ago.

There really is no such thing as "Delta flying," or United flying, Northwest flying, etc, etc, etc. This isn't like a physical product, or intellectual property that can be defined and protected.
Yes there is, a Brand is Intellectual Property.

In the case of the Delta pilots they sold a portion of the employment rights to that brand for $150 million. Who it now "belongs" to is a question.

ALPA has never acknowledged that after they negotiate the sale the flying "belongs" to anyone else. I guess they should call it a rental, huh?

There is no way Duane can be responsible for hot FA's at SkyWest or, your kid looking like a SkyWest pilot! ;)
True for Duane, but with the "new" extension of the JR man poilcy, SKYW pilots all over the country can continue to knock up other pilots wives, and the other pilots will have to settle for the family dog for gratification(try peanut butter).
PBR

Latest resources

Back