Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta posts a record $1.37 Billion third quarter profit, also small refinery profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, thank God you'll always have a shot at it too if it unfortunately happens to you too. Don't think it could never happen.

Bye Bye---General Lee

What? Didn't Delta file for BK on the eve bankruptcy law changed? Yes they did. What they were able to get away with then , nobody can get away with now. I don't blame them for doing it, just don't pretend the same tools exist for everyone should bankruptcy happen.

http://m.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2005/08/01/daily3.html?page=2&r=full

Why do a few Virgin guys think they have a dog in the fight? Pure hypocrisy as junior Delta FO's are out earning junior Virgin Captains They should worry fixing their own problems instead of throwing stones. Pathetic pay rates for a 320.

I am not making my comments on behalf of Virgin pilots, but since you bring it up...I am at Virgin because of...wait for it...Delta. I am at Virgin because Delta f'ed me over so many times at Mesaba/whatever that I needed to get out and go anywhere I possibly could. I had apps everywhere that didn't need a four year degree (which I now have) except Virgin. I didn't have an app in at Virgin until Delta sold Mesaba to Pinnacle. If I wouldn't have gone to Virgin, I would probably still be at Endeavor and for sure downgrading to $39. That being said, I couldn't have been happier with the move at this point. The pay rates at Virgin are getting fixed yearly. It sounds like we should know more in November, so stand by.

Last edited:
I am not making my comments on behalf of Virgin pilots, but since you bring it up...I am at Virgin because of...wait for it...Delta. I am at Virgin because Delta f'ed me over so many times at Mesaba/whatever that I needed to get out and go anywhere I possibly could. I had apps everywhere that didn't need a four year degree (which I now have) except Virgin. I didn't have an app in at Virgin until Delta sold Mesaba to Pinnacle. If I wouldn't have gone to Virgin, I would probably still be at Endeavor and for sure downgrading to $39. That being said, I couldn't have been happier with the move at this point. The pay rates at Virgin are getting fixed yearly. It sounds like we should know more in November, so stand by.

It's great you bettered your situation. Congrats on that. But, DL will do whatever it can to improve their financials, within their employee groups contracts or lack of contracts. Welcome to big business. But, you found a way out of your problem, so good for you.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Gotta remember it's just business.... Delta execs don't wake up every morning and wonder how they can screw the regional employees over a bowl of Cheerios...

Unfortunately a lot of pilots, majority regional, take it personally when Delta or any airline tries to find the lowest bidder. And that search results in regional casualties. I was at Comair back in the early 2000's. We were brought into what we figured was a shame bankruptcy, no doubt to try to reduce our payroll and benefits. But ya can't hold it against big D or AA etc, for trying to maximize profits where they can...it sucks, but we are not the only industry that goes through this repeatedly...

Congrats to Delta, hopefully this positive trend in the industry continues...seems after a miserable decade things are turning a corner for both employees and the companies...

And I am in no way brown nosing on the off chance my company is one of the next to be merged or bought....:beer:

And it is also just business that I was forced to go to a carrier with lower wages because of the situation I was put in. Everyone's situation is different and blaming lcc pilots for being a drag on pay doesn't do any good. I was defending my decision and went a step further saying the original mud slinger's airline is actually the cause for me to be the drag on wages.

Don't blame Delta management, it is THEIR JOB to get the best deal based on market realities. If they could pay us minimum wage C2015, they would do it. That doesn't make them bad or evil.

As pilots, we are a labor group with incredible responsibility and unique technical skills; a recipe for what should be outrageously great compensation. Yet we have been fractured and divided into groups that all undercut each other, and the result has been near constant erosion in pay and benefits over the last 30 years for everyone.

As for blaming Delta, I blame Delta management when they bail out my competitor and then force them to do the work at a rate the rest of us can't hope to compete with. So much for fair competition and a free market.

As for being fractured and divided, I blame ALPA for that. ALPA's main concern is having the most dues paying members it possibly can. The basic idea of a union is unity among its members. ALPA doesn't even come close to accomplishing that. Given the opportunity, I would vote them off the property tomorrow.

So jet stream.....

Boss for a day...what should ALPA mainline do? Go on strike?

I'm all ears on how to stop the company from trying to find the cheapest feed?

Really?
I worked at Mesaba too, 13 years ago. I never once thought of that place as a longterm job. It was a great place to work with great employees. The one thing that bothered me was that it's a connection carrier. Mesaba was never in control of it's future, nor is any connection carrier for that matter. You get what's left over or what mainline doesn't want. Mainline can take it back when they want.
I don't understand why so many guys want to make a longterm career at a regional when the company has little say in its own future. Bad enough at the legacy's when they control their business model, let alone at a connection.

Really?
I worked at Mesaba too, 13 years ago. I never once thought of that place as a longterm job. It was a great place to work with great employees. The one thing that bothered me was that it's a connection carrier. Mesaba was never in control of it's future, nor is any connection carrier for that matter. You get what's left over or what mainline doesn't want. Mainline can take it back when they want.
I don't understand why so many guys want to make a longterm career at a regional when the company has little say in its own future. Bad enough at the legacy's when they control their business model, let alone at a connection.

I never said anything about staying long term. I am talking about staying long enough to be picky about where I go...like waiting for a carrier that may pay a better wage. As I said before, it couldn't have worked out better for me at this point. Wages at Virgin are about to go up (like they do every year), and unlike some pilots here, I actually see a bright future.

So jet stream.....

Boss for a day...what should ALPA mainline do? Go on strike?

I'm all ears on how to stop the company from trying to find the cheapest feed?
Maybe ALPA mainline should focus on the deeper problem.

Why do we need so much feed to begin with?

Latest resources

Back