Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta 'playing hardball' with regional affiliates (Article - June 11)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General:

The Delta and Northwest pilots should staple all of the wholly-owned carriers (Comair, Comapass, and Mesaba) to the bottom of the new joint contract. You could protect your pilots from furlough and let management decide what is most efficient and economical to fly. The scope should be that all Delta flying is done by Delta pilots and not some sort of ratio of mainline flying to regional jet flying.

Bottom line: Let management worry about what to fly and secure ALL flying at mainline.

General:

The Delta and Northwest pilots should staple all of the wholly-owned carriers (Comair, Comapass, and Mesaba) to the bottom of the new joint contract. You could protect your pilots from furlough and let management decide what is most efficient and economical to fly. The scope should be that all Delta flying is done by Delta pilots and not some sort of ratio of mainline flying to regional jet flying.

Bottom line: Let management worry about what to fly and secure ALL flying at mainline.

Though this would suck for me personally, it is the only true answer to this problem.

Bring ALL flying in house. Problem solved.

Re: Delta 'playing hardball' with regional affiliates

You could protect your pilots from furlough...

You don't believe that merger would happen without fences, do you?

Seriously, have we come to expect absolutely nothing from ALPA?

Despite what Generally says, Compass, Mesaba and Comair bring a lot to the table.

Last edited:
Why is the E170 'far more comfortable' than any CRJ?

Comfort is nice and all, but does it really affect the bottom line? Doubtful in these times.

This guy is CORRECT!!

Give me a break. Have you EVER flown in an E170? Have you? It is far more comfortable than any CRJ I have ever flown in. What's up with the low windows in the CRJ? Every time I sit on the window I end up hurting my neck as I attempt to look outside. You basically have to sit on the aisle to not hurt your neck while looking out the window. Most business passengers (seem like the only people who can afford flying these days) hate the lack of bin space and often the inability to use their computers inflight (tight seating space) in the CRJs - just ask them... I am sure most business pax would prefer to fly Southwest or AirTran when given the option vs. a CRJ-200/700/900 on a competing route. A 717 is far more comfortable.

The E170 is like a mini-Airbus. Very comfortable with great bins and huge windows in comparison. I'd venture to say that E170s are more comfortable than coach in most big airliners. The CRJ is not comfortable at all. The ERJs suck too in the back. An E170 is as comfortable as a 717 for pax if not a little better.

As far as economics are concerned, sure, the CR9 is probably slightly more economical. But it still has the feel of an RJ vs. the feel of a mini-Airbus in the E170. Regardless, the E170/175 has better economics than anything but the CR9 and it clearly beats other slightly bigger airliners like DC9s and 737-500s from an operational cost standpoint (even though NWA's DC9s are paid off - yada yada yada). The E190 is even better from a cost standpoint.

Simply put, ask passengers who have flown both the CR9 and the E170 and the vast majority will select an E170 any time. I would in a heartbeat. CRJs are just not comfortable for medium to long distance flights.

CRJs/ERJs can be used effectively on non-competing routes when passengers have NO other choice but to fly on it. CRJ-200s/ERJs should not be used on routes where they compete with LCCs like SWA or AirTran or Jet Blue because you cannot spread the operational costs over 50 seats and still charge competitive LCC fares. Not every passenger is an international feed passenger...[/quote]

Just ask ANY Mesaba AVRO driver how much the comfort factor played into keeping that airplane around. I can tell you from ecperience that the AVRO was MUCH!! more comfortable than your your E170 series airplane, and certainly more comfortable than the CRj900, yet I find myself flying around the CRJ900, the AVRO replacement...so your logic is flawed if the deciding factor on keeping an aircraft is comfort, airlines would provide us with our own DAY JET.

SORRY but FUEL is the name of the game and the Mesaba CRJ's are beating the COMPASS E175 by 12%-20%

This is quite a bit more complex than "my rj is better yhan your rj" This is about filling widebodies and busting unions, all in one fell swoop. Mainline mgmt. loves regional feed, it allows them to rid themselves of pesky mainline UNION pilots who have pesky contracts and replace them with regional UNION pilots who's chitty contracts allow them to be cornholleded at will. If you cannot violate that mainline pilots contract, violate the regional pilots contract by simply canceling it. Make no bones about it this is about controlling labor via contract trickery. Rule is, more money allows you to do anything you want to the labor force. You all think we are special because we are pilots, wrong, mgmt just looks at us the same as the guy who dumps the lav, just slightly more expensive. We are just "the help". Realize that and the power becomes ours, keep thinking we are white collar managers and you will get fat watching Oprah instead of flying.
PBR

Last edited:
I have to agree, comfort is so far down the list it has no bearing whatsoever. Fuel, cheap crews and efficiency=what management cares about. Mgt doesn't give a flying frig at a rolling doughnut whether you think your plane is cool or not.

None of you guys said anything after 9-11 when mainline planes were being parked and RJs expanded everywhere. Remember?

Bye Bye--General Lee
Yeah, I think that was right about the time the Mainline Drivers were asking for pref-hiring and jobs at the regionals that were "destroying the Industry." Amazing what you'll do when you're hungry enough.

Latest resources

Back