Delta pilot killed in AMS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJslim

I was coming across the pond the other nite and heard on 123.45 a Delta pilot was hit and killed by a train. First I just wan't say god bless him, and second wanted to say be careful overthere. Its not like the US were all the train crossing have gates. I was riding a bike over there earlier this week, and I know you can find yourself getting a little complacant checking out all the sights. Just keep your eyes open and when the trains signal stop you need to stop.

Dam, so sad but yet so easy to do. The streets around Central station especially. Can't tell you how may times I've stopped myself crossing with out looking the correct direction... RIP

Yes, and his funeral was here in Dallas yesterday. Donations can be made to the Alzheimer's Society. Contact the DALPA office for this name and info.

I've seen nothing from the union about this. You'd think they would have put something out instead of having to find out about this event on FI.

Was he on a trip or just visiting?

Jeez, sorry to hear that. I was almost hit by a train about 6 months ago. I was only looking one way since the street traffic was only one way. I didn't know that the train was running both ways on one track. I stepped out and heard a few rings from a bell and someone grabbed my shirt and pulled me back. The mirror on the train passed right over my head and I thought I was about to die. In AMS, if it's not the damn bikes, it's the trains. Be careful....and take it slow...

My Thoughts and Prayers got out to his Family.
I too heard about it crossing the Pond.
We may work for different airlines, but at the end of the day we are all fellow Pilots.
RIP and Climb High my Friend.

Always
Peter "Motch" Matschulat
Continental Airlines

That is a busy city. Taxis on the left right and center of the road. Bikes whizzing by and trains that are constantly moving through streets which are almost always crowded. Add the fact there is so much eye candy around from kitsch stores, architecture, and of course beautiful Dutch women and it is a recipe for disaster. I've been there over 50 times and I still almost get hit.

I think the worst is Britain. Just when you get used to looking the opposite direction for cars, you arrive back in the US only to look the wrong way again.

Watch your six out there.

I've seen nothing from the union about this. You'd think they would have put something out instead of having to find out about this event on FI.

Was he on a trip or just visiting?
I believe it was an ATL pilot, on a overnight. The return, AMS-ATL was cancelled the next day.

I found out about it on the union message board.

I was just mention this to a FA friend and she reminded me that this is not uncommon thing as we had a FA a few years back die the same way in Sydney by a bus. Careful all please..

Latest resources

Back