Delta pares fleet for efficiency

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
Delta likes the MD90s out there. And, I believe we own them. (thus trying to sell them to China Eastern) The only other airline in the world that operates MD88s (other than Midwest)...The MD90s have movie screens in the back for the pax, and are nicer and newer than the MD88s.
Bye Bye--General Lee
Tell you what...have Gerald dial 1-414-570-4000 and ask for Uncle Timmy. Maybe Midwest can take those MD90's off your hands at Delta and use them as replacements for our gas-guzzling MD80-type fleet.

Nah, that won't happen...Timmy is too busy rearranging the chairs on the deck of the, er, uh nevermind.

HMM

BeCareful! said:
Hey, I see the whole problem! You guys have been flying 767's around with only 115 seats. Very wasteful. Stop it!

You should be able to emerge from CH11 much sooner now. I'll send my invoice for consultant services to the ATL offices.

Good day.

Yeah, but we get 451 in the 777...and those 8 (yes, that's all we have) aircraft are going to be the mainstay for the intercontinental flights. This guy lost all credibility before he even got into the subject of his article.

Typical media.

General Lee said:
The only other airline that owns MD90s besides China Eastern (also getting new Airbi) is Hello Airlines (a Swiss Charter) and another airline in Malta that flies one on English charters.

I think the Saudis have MD90's as well. They are few and far between. Though the B717 started out as the 'MD95', correct? So it's a derivative of the MD90 of sorts.

It's going to be a while before DL dumps the MD88s. Priority now is on getting a 100 seater into the fleet. 787 or 777-200LR would be the next most likely fleet addition given the recent push for Int'l growth.

Wonder if there are any ways to make the MD88s quieter/less thirsty like what was done to the 727s back 10-15 years ago to keep them flying economically a bit longer.

737 Pylt said:
Now if we could only pare managment for efficency.
DAL has cut 16,000 jobs since 9/11 and not ONE has come from management.
In 1992 there were 54 upper level management position. Today there are nearly triple that! Managment at airlines (DAL in particular) are crooks, plain and simple! Take care of yourself is all they care about. And the public wonders why the legacy carriers are in such dire straits!

What amazes me is how much the Directors (& VPs) lot at the DL GO has grown over the past 3 or so years. Ridiculous!

Alright, since nobody else is asking, how will this affect recalls. Will there be more furloughs. Let's hope not, cause more bad news is not what we need!:uzi:

Latest resources

Back