• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Paid $5.78 a Gallon in May

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well then I guess that YOU should be running the airline since you profess to know so much as to how it could or should be. It's amazing that Southwest is still in business, considering how poorly it's run.

Sorry, Dicko, but I'm not buying your story. If it's "common knowledge" that our reservation system can't charge for bags, how come no one knows it but you? How come we can charge for dogs and cats and UMs (which we added relatively recently), but not for checked bags? How come we can charge for oversized or overweight checked bags, but not "regular" sized and weighted checked bags? How come we can charge for third and subsequent checked bags, but can't seem to charge for the first two?

And if our international reservation system has been around "for a long time," I suppose that makes Gary Kelly and everyone else in Dallas blatant liars, since they've specifically made public statements to the contrary. And to answer your question about why, since we have this reservation system "already," that Airtran isn't flying to Hawaii, it's because of the point we've all been belaboring. Hawaii isn't international, and a new reservation system isn't required for Southwest (or Airtran) to fly there. ETOPS qualifications are the limiting factor. Working on that too.

Sorry to say Dicko, but all the negative crap you may hear from time to time is not always true. Despite whether you want to believe it or not.

Bubba

No flame here because, I don't troll / hate, or even visit, SWA threads like wave and red do on Delta threads, but is it really that huge of a programming glitch to just rewrite the software. Seems like a few sharp IT guys could easily patch up the existing system to allow international bookings and ancillary fees, should they desire.

You two remind me of a couple of little brown shirts. You've proved that you're a couple of wind up ideologues.

Bubba, faced with information that he isn't privy to, resorts to the old hackneyed argument of - 'if you're so smart, why aren't you running the airline'. What you should be asking yourself is why you don't know. Or, won't admit it.

Red,

You picked the only other route that benefits from Class 2 ...... You're clutching at straws again. AirTran made money on those routes using 162nm prior to Class 2. Are you really using that as an excuse for delaying the ENTIRE airline from doing international flying ?

Get you're passports ready..... You're going to San Juan boys.

(when the applicable complex calculations have been accomplished for the harrowing 3 hour flight into the dark jungles)

Bubba,

1- Don't have ETOPS planes
2- Don't have ETOPS pilots.

Red,

You're making a fool of yourself again. Pop quiz time;

1. what percentage of AirTran 737 NG came from Boeing ETOPS equipped ?

2. How long from 1 year of Class 2 flying would it take to gain ETOPS Cert. How much longer would it take SWA ?

Take a year to consider the problem and get back to us.

Red,

You picked the only other route that benefits from Class 2 ...... You're clutching at straws again. AirTran made money on those routes using 162nm prior to Class 2. Are you really using that as an excuse for delaying the ENTIRE airline from doing international flying ?

Get you're passports ready..... You're going to San Juan boys.

QUOTE]

I'm glad you've been making money. I'm also glad Dallas has put you guys on DEN-CUN, SAN-Cabo, MDW-CUN, etc, etc. I hope you guys are full every single leg. It's our company now, even if you stay pissed until 2050, or whatever your retirement date is.

Het DICKo,

Actually you need to find out the facts before you start spewing "common knowledge". Southwest does charge for bags so saying their system can't handle it is not "common knowledge". The first 2 checked bags per pax are free and the third and beyond are charged a fee. That is "common knowledge" that can easily be looked up on the SWA website. Any more "common knowledge" facts you care to let us in on..

Last edited:
Bubba,

Your exactly right. To be honest, the Navistar system that Airtran uses isn't much better than what we use. FACT. (and yes, I do know what I'm talking about here)

We charge for plenty of ancillary fees now. The bag debate is bogus, it could be done tomorrow if Dallas wanted too.

Dicko,

How would Airtran do Hawaii tomorrow if they...

1- Don't have ETOPS planes.
2- Don't have ETOPS pilots.

Please enlighten me.

Your arguement about the the 162nm flights we can do has marginal merit, you look at the routing required to go BWI-SJU with that restriction...and you know why Southwest hasn't been doing it already. You want to blow gas out the tailpipe to meet that restriction? I don't, and neither does Gary.

Red,

You are still working on VNAV and Autothrottles. I would be surprised if you knew anything about the above. You just learned it on Google most likely.

Bye Bye---General Lee

...Bubba, faced with information that he isn't privy to, resorts to the old hackneyed argument of - 'if you're so smart, why aren't you running the airline'...

Actually that was just me having a little fun with you. I already refuted your points. Lemme restate this in a way you might appreciate:

Dicko, faced with information that flies in the face of his absurd claims, resorts to the old Flight Info argument of - 'it's common knowledge' [even though nobody else but him "knows" this] and of course, everybody's favorite 'I've got a source, but I can't say who [so you just have to take my word for it].'

Bubba

You two remind me of a couple of little brown shirts. You've proved that you're a couple of wind up ideologues.

Nice imagery, Dicko. We're good little nazis now? Let's see... Since all you seem to talk about Southwest is negative, then you have to be a little bitter. Regardless, you claim proprietary information to a company that you don't directly work for, and that nobody else knows, and you can't back it up. You wonder why people don't believe you?

Instead of me being a nazi ideologue, and you the prince of truth and justice, I have another picture to put out there: Me-a pilot happy with my first and only airline, I like the way it's run, and I believe in its business plan and principles. That's why I'm here. You-bouncing around, somewhat jaded about your path, and respond with negativity about essentially everything you've ever posted on FI. How's that for imagery?

Bubba

Last edited:
Fools. SWA doesn't charge for the first and second bag because then they can tell passengers you get what you pay for after they have lost them!

Latest resources

Back