• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Paid $5.78 a Gallon in May

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reaaaaaly ...... Would you like to explain the reasons why SWA is not doing any International flying ? Your Training department recently asked AirTran about customs clearance procedures in San Juan. Yes, I'm serious.

It's amazing that you guys on the other side of the partition seem to have all these "facts" about how Southwest works that no one else has. Where did you hear that about Training mistakenly thinking San Juan was "international"? From another bitter Airtran guy? What a shocker.

Yes, we all know that San Juan isn't international in a legal or technical sense. Flight Ops is already planning it, but had to wait for contractual issues to be settled. As Red pointed out, anything outside the contiguous 48 is "international" for our CBA purposes (including San Juan and Hawaii), and had to be negotiated. Supposedly, VP Flt Ops promised we would fly to SJU by late 2012 (that would be this year; you know, before we're "smart enough" to fly international). if we agreed on SL-12 &14 which amended our contract to allow it.

As far as addressing your actual question, instead of just your snide implications,... yes, yes, everyone knows our reservations system wasn't designed for the added requirements of international travel. We're working on it. Whether or not assigned seating is one of those requirements or not (I suspect it's not), I admit that I don't know for sure. However, I'd be willing to bet that you guys don't "know" one way or the other for sure either. Just because no other carrier flies international with open seating doesn't mean it can't be done. I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

Bubba

Last edited:
Wow, thanks guys- two delta trolls want me to chime in so they don't have to deal with the thread subject.
At least those new RJs you guys are too scared to fly are $40 million each- that'll help stave off the losses
:-/
Of course I've been assured by these same two that delta won't have hard times again, and therefore won't press to get CRJ1000's outsourced

Wow, thanks guys- two delta trolls want me to chime in so they don't have to deal with the thread subject.
At least those new RJs you guys are too scared to fly are $40 million each- that'll help stave off the losses
Of course I've been assured by these same two that delta won't have hard times again, and therefore won't press to get CRJ1000's outsourced

Stave off losses? You mean the ones that can't be covered by the extra $2.5 billion in ancillary revenue? We had a profit for this quarter, that included profit sharing for employees. The "marked to Market" losses for fuel hedges are not real losses at all, rather an update on what you "could" loses if oil prices continue to fall (they aren't). Those hedges can go out for up to 18 months, not all due this quarter. There was a $155 million loss on the hedged, but that was offset by gains due to lower fuel (besides hedged fuel) and strong demand. The stock went up, and we receive profit sharing. Plus, fuel prices for the next two quarters aren't even close to the high prices DL paid in May. Obviously Wall Street liked it, but you know different.

Instead, you need to concentrate on two things. First, be nice to the trannies. They are your brothers now, with some senior to you probably. Next, if you want any of the future newhires to be quality, drop the pft. It may help your recruitment, even though your bottom guys are saying 20 years to upgrade. 20 years of intra Texas, ouch. Fix those two things, and then you can obsess about DL RJs that are actually decreasing in huge numbers overall.

Bye Bye----General Lee

Thanks for caring so much for our operations. Now that you got that off your chest, you can hit the guy to flex up for your date tonight with redflyer!

Stave off losses? You mean the ones that can't be covered by the extra $2.5 billion in ancillary revenue? We had a profit for this quarter, that included profit sharing for employees. The "marked to Market" losses for fuel hedges are not real losses at all, rather an update on what you "could" loses if oil prices continue to fall (they aren't). Those hedges can go out for up to 18 months, not all due this quarter. There was a $155 million loss on the hedged, but that was offset by gains due to lower fuel (besides hedged fuel) and strong demand. The stock went up, and we receive profit sharing. Plus, fuel prices for the next two quarters aren't even close to the high prices DL paid in May. Obviously Wall Street liked it, but you know different.

Instead, you need to concentrate on two things. First, be nice to the trannies. They are your brothers now, with some senior to you probably. Next, if you want any of the future newhires to be quality, drop the pft. It may help your recruitment, even though your bottom guys are saying 20 years to upgrade. 20 years of intra Texas, ouch. Fix those two things, and then you can obsess about DL RJs that are actually decreasing in huge numbers overall.

Bye Bye----General Lee

Wow, maybe you WERE actually listening all those times I said essentially the same exact thing to YOU, when YOU pretended that Southwest hedge devaluations were the same as an actual loss. So you're only an idiot when you're slamming Southwest? Good to know...

Bubba

Wow, maybe you WERE actually listening all those times I said essentially the same exact thing to YOU, when YOU pretended that Southwest hedge devaluations were the same as an actual loss. So you're only an idiot when you're slamming Southwest? Good to know...

Bubba

Exactly. Pot meet Kettle, Genital.

The bottom line here is that Delta will continue to lose money on their hedge unless it rises to 5.78/gallon.....which is a looooong way off from where we are now.

Bye Bye----General Lee

By the way, despite your insinuation, you didn't have $2.5B more in ancilliary revenue than Southwest. According to the Wall Street Journal, airline "ancilliary revenue" is about 60% from credit card deals and tie-ins, which Southwest participates in as well. Your baggage fees (and change fees, etc.) obviously bring in revenue, but not all that. So keep that in mind next time you're playing like you know what you're talking about, okay?

Bubba

P.S. Also, throwing in the childish PFT argument again just takes away from any credibility you may have garnered. You know how much I like you, GL; I'm just trying to look out for you--you know, keep you from looking any dumber than necessary.

Exactly. Pot meet Kettle, Genital.

The bottom line here is that Delta will continue to lose money on their hedge unless it rises to 5.78/gallon.....which is a looooong way off from where we are now.

What Kramer? DL paid $5.78 a gallon in May (hence the loss), but RA stated today in the conference call that this quarter and next the amount will be around $3.05 a gallon, meaning profits many times larger than yours. The hedges protected against huge gains in price for Brent Crude, and there was a huge drop in May, but since then it is back up to around $105 a barrel (Brent). That means not a huge loss coming up. Wall Street liked it all, but you and Wave don't..... Oh yeah, add that $2.5 billion in ancillary revenue please. How about your ancillary revenue? Nevermind.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Bubba

I commented mainly on your first loss, which was significant. Your darling airline which kicked everyone's rear end during the last decade after 9-11 was finally rid of the beneficial hedges and was showing that every airline was vulnerable. That was my point bubba. Go enjoy MAF while you're at it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wall St like it? Ah, okay Genital whatever you say.

We actually have ancillary revenue, exactly as Bubba pointed out above. Our credit card revenue alone is up 30% just in the last quarter alone. The new Rapid Reward program is starting to hit on all cyclinders lately. Thanks for asking.

Latest resources

Back