• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta-Northwest Deal at Risk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well they share one defining characteristic...

They are smaller than an MD88 in the same way that a 777 is smaller than a 747.

Cuts both ways.
Who cares? They are the same bid category, flown interchangeably with, and pay the same as the 148 seat A320, which is not smaller than an MD88. So the 319's are smaller than the MD88 in the same way your 757's are smaller than your 767's. Same bid position, same pay on the 75 as the 76 (300's).

Career expectations. That's a good one. This is the airline business. Anything past next year is a wild guess at best.

I can't believe some of you are trying to decide 'fair' on what might happen 10, 15 or 20 years down the road. That's why this deal will never happen if left up to the pilots. Everybody is way too greedy, way too unrealistic and way too myopic.

Who cares? They are the same bid category, flown interchangeably with, and pay the same as the 148 seat A320, which is not smaller than an MD88.

They also all pay less than the MD-88, definitely much less than the 737-800.

So the 319's are smaller than the MD88 in the same way your 757's are smaller than your 767's. Same bid position, same pay on the 75 as the 76 (300's).

So by your logic we can consider our 757s widebodied since they pay the same as the wide bodied 767-300er. That would mean that DAL brings 245 wide bodied paying aircraft to the party and NWA would be bringing 63. Interesting. I like how you think.;)

Probably the only one celebrating tonight is Doug Steenland. Thanks to the NWA pilots he now has a pretty good shot at keeping his job.

The NWA pilots should continue to insist on the top spots, then DOH, a staple and the ability to take all the bases and all the jets. The crazier the better - lets kill this thing :)

Yep 747's and A330's at the top. The 757-300 is bigger too, so stick it at the top and the A320 seats 6 more than an 88 so put all those at the top, and the pay is less, so the folks who need to recover industry standard, put them at the top. Pinnacle and Compass are growing like kudzu, so to preserve their expectations, put them at the top. And just about every pilot is retiring before their next rotation - so lets make it easy - staple Delta below Big Sky. Our 777's CA's can green slip one leg flights to Arizona in your DC-9's.

Man, you guys had me going, but now I see the plan. Bravo Rizutto :nuts: :smash: :beer:

Last edited:
This needs to either go away or do it based on Career expectations. Career expectations is the only fair way to do it.

Relative seniority with fences. What your seniority holds now is what it should hold after the merger. Nobody is bumped from their equipment or base. No categories are rebid. Everyone's life remains the same with the NW pilots getting bigger payraises, better work rules, and both groups sharing the equity. Anything else is a windfall for one group and a sheet sandwich for the other.

Merging companies will not lower the cost of fuel. I think we have a pretty good thing going at Delta, as do the NW guys at NW. I don't see any benefit for the Delta pilots in this merger. The only thing to offer Delta pilots would be a favorable SLI....without it most Delta pilots would favor going it on our own.

"One of the chief assets Northwest brings to the merger is its dominance of U.S. routes to Asia, something that Delta and many other airlines lack.

"The crown jewel of any of these mergers is Northwest's access to Asia," said George Hoffer, an industry analyst and a professor of economics at Virginia Commonwealth University. "Northwest is the smallest of the carriers that is up for sale, yet it has the greatest bottom line potential because of its access to Asia. That is the real benefit to Delta."

I think we have a pretty good thing going at Northwest, as do the DAL guys at DAL. I don't see any benefit for the Northwest pilots in this merger. The only thing to offer Northwest pilots would be a favorable SLI....without it most Northwest pilots would favor going it on our own.[/quote]

Newhires were told that we will have a total of 20 777s (12 more than we have now) within 2 years (we have 3 firm orders this year, along with 6 firm coming Dec 31st to March 31st of next year). They were told we were going to get a few more from another leasing source. As far as the MD90s go, we were scheduled to get 9 this year (we even trained all of the CVG MD88 pilots on the MD90 already), and that there were over 100 available. In fact Saudia just put 28 up for sale. The others we have looked at in person are from these airlines-- JAS (Japan Air System), China Northern, and China Eastern. Anderson was "one signature" away from signing for a bunch of those, when this merger stuff supposedly popped up. We had guys looking at them as I said before in person. We have MD90 FTDs and SIMs, and we have mechanics who can fix them. We also just finished getting 17 AA 757-200ERs with winglets, and will get 7 737-700s this year, with a total of 25 with options.

Here is an post from our WEB board concerning the incorrect info from the DAL side. This corrects the incorrect assumptions made about freighters and DC9 aircraft.

"A buddy of mine at DAL let slip out that DAL not only has access to our web board, but their merger comm. is using our own postings against us. This is a public forum and I believe if there was anytime for us to stop shooting at each other, now is the time. I'm not calling for a peace treaty, just a truce until the merger is complete.
DAL has thrown our sitting of the DC-9 in our merger comm. faces. Some people have said, on this board, that all freighters will be sold and all DC-9's parked. DAL is using this info as fact in their negotiations. Now we all know that there is no plan to park any of our freighters. In fact a recent article in one of the freight mags quoted our mgt as actively searching for additional freighters.The article exists because I read it.I believe it was posted on this board. There is no plan to sit all our DC -9's. In fact, we may even retrofit them with GPS until Boeing comes up with the next-gen narrowbody. I heard that from the training dept in January.
Our merger comm is holding the line against a very stubborn DAL group."

Talked with a couple people recently about the -9 GPS. Probably going to happen. Nothing available to replace the -9 that goes into so many wet, slippery 6000' runways carrying a belly full of cargo. Hope the B-717 talk is serious. My guess is about 10/10 new frieghters. 744F and A-330F.

Delta is not buying NWA or anyone. If it goes will be a stock swap. DAL has $4.0 Billion debt due now through 2011, NWA $1.9. DAL has $1.0 Billion LESS cash on hand than NWA. DAL CASM is 10% higher than NWA. NWA Cash/Monthly Expense ratio over twice as good as DAL, 3.2 to 1.5 and NWA operating margin is almost 60% higher than DAL. NWA pretax margin is 139% higher than DAL. NWA had the highest operating margins in the industry in 2007. NWA gets 12% revenue from RJ's while DAL is 25%/expensive. DAL needs a merger/help before end of 2009 or gets tight on cash again. Over the next 20 years the Pacific Region will have over twice the growth rate of any other region. DAL Pacific operation is 0.2% of their overall ops. NWA has 10% of their operations in Asia. Who really needs who? CAL would be a much better deal with NWA.
These numbers appear to be out of the National ALPA NWA/DAL Merger Analysis. Appears DAL needs a dance partner's cash and cash flow to pay her bills the next few years. Did you use the UAL playbook for CH-11? Great! Another 'Black Hole'. As Sam Kinison would say, "THAAAANKS! AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!"

Last edited:
So by your logic we can consider our 757s widebodied since they pay the same as the wide bodied 767-300er. That would mean that DAL brings 245 wide bodied paying aircraft to the party and NWA would be bringing 63. Interesting. I like how you think.;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back