• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

patrickdc9

Maybe some good news for the future of Delta cargo?:

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) will leave its U.S. cargo joint venture with Air France-KLM (AFLYY) and Korean Air (003490.SE) as of January, according to Thursday's La Tribune, which said Air France confirmed the information.
The move follows Delta's decision to merge with U.S. rival Northwest Airlines.
The cargo joint venture has annual turnover of $500 million, the newspaper said. Air France and Korean Air will continue with the U.S. cargo venture, the newspaper added.

Maybe. I think we will have a few 744's that would love to have a big ole hole cut in their side. ;)

We can only hope we will have a cargo unit in the future. It is true Air France, KLM, and Korean all have their own, but none of them fly old 742s. Air France juse received their first 777 freighter, and is slowly dumping their 744Fs. KLM and Korean still use 744Fs, though.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Maybe some good news for the future of Delta cargo?:

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) will leave its U.S. cargo joint venture with Air France-KLM (AFLYY) and Korean Air (003490.SE) as of January, according to Thursday's La Tribune, which said Air France confirmed the information.
The move follows Delta's decision to merge with U.S. rival Northwest Airlines.
The cargo joint venture has annual turnover of $500 million, the newspaper said. Air France and Korean Air will continue with the U.S. cargo venture, the newspaper added.

From this article what makes you think it indicates more cargo flying as opposed to less? They are pulling out of the cargo joint venture. Maybe I am reading this wrong but could it be a sign Delta (NWA) is looking to get out of the cargo business?

From this article what makes you think it indicates more cargo flying as opposed to less? They are pulling out of the cargo joint venture. Maybe I am reading this wrong but could it be a sign Delta (NWA) is looking to get out of the cargo business?

Reading the article, I think it could go both ways; either get out of the cargo business OR (hopefully) do the cargo in-house instead with a joint venture.

There was a lot of talk about getting out of cargo business till oil started dropping...hopefully this will encourage them to keep the dedicated freighters going. Even with 747-200s, currently they make money with oil less than $100.

The 747-200 freighters are designed for outsized cargo, which can easily be loaded through the nose of the aircraft.

The standard freighter conversions of the 747-200 and 747-400 do not have the nose door for outsized bulk cargo loading.

Delta needs to order the new 747-9 freighters which can accept all cargo.

they need to, but I am not sure if RA wants any four engine jets for 20+ years!
He is a two engine kind of guy!

INTL cargo shipping is way down. The price of oil may not be enough to save the freighters but the MIL charters may put some life back into them. Maybe long enough to acquire Alaska Airlines and keep the ANC base. Don't want to lose our Northern most outpost.

Last edited:
But didnt NWA cargo just get a large military cargo contract not too long ago?

I remember reading that on Deltanet not even a month ago...

Latest resources

Back