• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Delta (Northwest) Cargo

patrickdc9

Total Time
Maybe some good news for the future of Delta cargo?:

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) will leave its U.S. cargo joint venture with Air France-KLM (AFLYY) and Korean Air (003490.SE) as of January, according to Thursday's La Tribune, which said Air France confirmed the information.
The move follows Delta's decision to merge with U.S. rival Northwest Airlines.
The cargo joint venture has annual turnover of $500 million, the newspaper said. Air France and Korean Air will continue with the U.S. cargo venture, the newspaper added.

ACL65PILOT

Total Time
9000+
Maybe. I think we will have a few 744's that would love to have a big ole hole cut in their side. ;)

General Lee

Total Time
A lot
We can only hope we will have a cargo unit in the future. It is true Air France, KLM, and Korean all have their own, but none of them fly old 742s. Air France juse received their first 777 freighter, and is slowly dumping their 744Fs. KLM and Korean still use 744Fs, though.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Sedona16

Total Time
Maybe some good news for the future of Delta cargo?:

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) will leave its U.S. cargo joint venture with Air France-KLM (AFLYY) and Korean Air (003490.SE) as of January, according to Thursday's La Tribune, which said Air France confirmed the information.
The move follows Delta's decision to merge with U.S. rival Northwest Airlines.
The cargo joint venture has annual turnover of $500 million, the newspaper said. Air France and Korean Air will continue with the U.S. cargo venture, the newspaper added.

From this article what makes you think it indicates more cargo flying as opposed to less? They are pulling out of the cargo joint venture. Maybe I am reading this wrong but could it be a sign Delta (NWA) is looking to get out of the cargo business?

propdog

Total Time
7000+
From this article what makes you think it indicates more cargo flying as opposed to less? They are pulling out of the cargo joint venture. Maybe I am reading this wrong but could it be a sign Delta (NWA) is looking to get out of the cargo business?

Reading the article, I think it could go both ways; either get out of the cargo business OR (hopefully) do the cargo in-house instead with a joint venture.

There was a lot of talk about getting out of cargo business till oil started dropping...hopefully this will encourage them to keep the dedicated freighters going. Even with 747-200s, currently they make money with oil less than $100.

jetflier

Total Time
lot's
The 747-200 freighters are designed for outsized cargo, which can easily be loaded through the nose of the aircraft.

The standard freighter conversions of the 747-200 and 747-400 do not have the nose door for outsized bulk cargo loading.

Delta needs to order the new 747-9 freighters which can accept all cargo.

ACL65PILOT

Total Time
9000+
they need to, but I am not sure if RA wants any four engine jets for 20+ years!
He is a two engine kind of guy!

clippyrip

Total Time
INTL cargo shipping is way down. The price of oil may not be enough to save the freighters but the MIL charters may put some life back into them. Maybe long enough to acquire Alaska Airlines and keep the ANC base. Don't want to lose our Northern most outpost.

Last edited:

dispatchguy

Dad is my favorite title
Total Time
NIL
But didnt NWA cargo just get a large military cargo contract not too long ago?

I remember reading that on Deltanet not even a month ago...

propdog

Total Time
7000+
But didnt NWA cargo just get a large military cargo contract not too long ago?

I remember reading that on Deltanet not even a month ago...

Yes. They got contracts to carry troops and freight to Middle East via Europe utilizing 747-200 pax and freight planes.

~~~^~~~

Total Time
7,500+
Just curious why anyone thinks this is a good thing? Didn't the joint venture helped coordinate & consolidate loads so there would be sufficient demand to operate wide-body cargo flights? (at least that is always what we are told when these tie ups begin)

It would be interesting to know what is happening in SkyTeam.

Last edited:

ACL65PILOT

Total Time
9000+
trust me there are plans A through D on the whole ALK front.

LandGreen

Total Time
where?
trust me there are plans A through D on the whole ALK front.

strategically i think it is a no brainer...you can't give that feed away to AMR. DL/NW SEA to Asia network depends on ALK feed, and i wouldn't think a codeshare is solid enough. it seems that a AMR/ALK deal would pretty much end DL's SEA-Asia network.

ACL65PILOT

Total Time
9000+
Yep, and if you look at section 1 of the JPWA there is verbiage in there that makes it quite clear that this is step one. Ask a union rep why SEA will never be a base, no matter how much flying is in and out of there. Then tell me if you get a no bs, straight answer!
I do not think they can give you one with out lying to your face. If they do you are talking to the wrong people.

Fubijaakr

Seniority is Forever
Total Time
Enough
Oh Alaska is a lot closer than anyone thinks!

I'm forced to agree with you due to what I've heard from inside sources.

I don't want to, but I think you may be correct though it may take a year or two.

ACL65PILOT

Total Time
9000+
Wow that is what It sounds like when the hammer hits the nail on the proverbial head.
Yes, possibly up to two years, sooner if they can. Why do ya think we are pushing so hard to get this merger done??

Forced to agree?? Come on!

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Total Time
enough
So which is it, JetBlue or Alaska or both? Can't wait to be on the bottom of a 17,000 pilot seniority list? :uzi:

I'm sure when we get recalled in 10 years it will be to a "much stronger global airline."

clippyrip

Total Time
So which is it, JetBlue or Alaska or both? Can't wait to be on the bottom of a 17,000 pilot seniority list?

My guess is the SLI will go the way of what you brought to the merger. If that is the precedent, then that means a ratio in with the narrow body group. Not so much a staple but a bottom half integration. You may do better than you think.

NOT FLAME __ How did Western get assimilated?