• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta New Hire Class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought Delta was going to buy JetBlue??!!!!!

seriously, ive got a delta buddy who thinks i should apply there. im close to airbus captain at jetblue and also probably will be recalled to AA in a year and a half. 6 yr pay or 11 year pay if LOS if given at AA.....go to delta? im thinking no.

I'm not going to debate domiciles or pay.

Looks like CAL wants to grow 5-6% a year. At what percentage will Delta grow? If its more than 5-6% they win in the "wave" department. If its less, regardless of how many have been hired in the last 2 years, CAL will still have a bigger wave going forward.

You can't debate pay and domiciles, CAL would lose. It would take 4 years at CAL to get the same at Delta on the 738, and that would not be hard to get on the second year at DL, or even the 757 which pays even more. CAL's insurance policy, which has the new pilot paying for it for 6 whole months, is ridiculous. Those should be important to any newhire.

As far as growth, we know we are going to grow (getting many new planes), and at the same time we have to wait for a week or so until we are out of BK to hear more about future orders, including more 777LRs and 787s, 100 seaters possibly, and more 737s. I would think that would equal 5-6% growth. (just a guess)

Again, regardless, this guy Goggles is doing it right, and hopefully will pass the DL interview and have a choice, a good choice. They are both good companies with growth opportunities.

Bye Bye--General Lee

seriously, ive got a delta buddy who thinks i should apply there. im close to airbus captain at jetblue and also probably will be recalled to AA in a year and a half. 6 yr pay or 11 year pay if LOS if given at AA.....go to delta? im thinking no.

I have heard rumors about that, but nothing concrete. I know they are looking at doing something with the JFK terminal, and it may cost less to try to buy Jetblue than build a new terminal. Who knows? If you are going to JB captain school and think you will stay there forever, then don't apply at DL. But, you could be back at JFK sooner than later, and maybe flying the 767 overseas too, but you may not want that. To each his own.

Bye Bye--General Lee

This is something I've seen time and time again. When someone is at a hiring and growing airline they think everyone should apply there.

Most of the time it's not a wholly unselfish attempt to "help" you. There is a theory that most "giving" is a selfish attempt to wipe away guilt and feel better. But I won't get into that.

The pilots at successful airlines feel like they are smarter (or luckier) than most other pilots and want to "help" others come around to the same way of thinking. It validates their superior reasoning skills or station in life. Often, when you tell them no thanks, they get hurt or even hostile. This last part outs them as being more selfish than helpful. If they really cared about your future they wouldn't take it out on you if choose a different path.

But what do I know. I'm just a glass is half empty, paranoid kind of guy.

Last edited:
Well, you fail to state that CAL has the worst bases on the planet. I never thought there could be three armpits, but EWR, CLE, and IAH hit the mark.

So DL bases in NYC, CVG and ATL are any better?? Please, get over yourself. Your bases in LAX and SLC might be nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay the big bucks to live there... PCL_128 had it right, seems like NWA takes the honor for the worst bases.

So DL bases in NYC, CVG and ATL are any better?? Please, get over yourself. Your bases in LAX and SLC might be nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to pay the big bucks to live there... PCL_128 had it right, seems like NWA takes the honor for the worst bases.

Huh? You are an idiot. Delta's bases are ten times better than CAL's armpit bases, and you know it. ATL is far better than IAH, and CVG is not cold as CLE by a mile. And, if you want to be super lonely, move to Guam. Delta's LA and SLC bases not only give options to live at those places, but open up commuting possibilities on the West Coast, which is a heck of a lot better than CAL. You get over yourself and wake up. And yes, NWA also has some crummy bases. CAL and NWA win for worst bases. Are you happy now?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Big bucks to live in SLC?? SLC is a very affordable place to live unless you want to live in Park City. NWA takes the prize of crappy bases while CAL is a very close runner up. DAL has a base on each coast, one in the south, one in the upper mid-west, and one in the inner-mountain west. At least with Delta you can live anywhere in the country and have a commute under two hours. Not so with CAL or NWA.

Huh? You are an idiot. Delta's bases are ten times better than CAL's armpit bases, and you know it. ATL is far better than IAH, and CVG is not cold as CLE by a mile. And, if you want to be super lonely, move to Guam. Delta's LA and SLC bases not only give options to live at those places, but open up commuting possibilities on the West Coast, which is a heck of a lot better than CAL. You get over yourself and wake up. And yes, NWA also has some crummy bases. CAL and NWA win for worst bases. Are you happy now?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Who gives a fat rat's ***k?

IMHO I would go with CAL as well.....

30 737s 2008
30 737s 2009
25 787s starting 2009
20 additional options for 787s
Most junior CA award seniority # 3777; 2005 hire approx. seniority # 3800
Assuming age 60, 50% of list retires in the next 10 years

.....but to each his own.

IMHO I would go with CAL as well.....

30 737s 2008
30 737s 2009
25 787s starting 2009
20 additional options for 787s
Most junior CA award seniority # 3777; 2005 hire approx. seniority # 3800
Assuming age 60, 50% of list retires in the next 10 years

.....but to each his own.

OK, I have a question for the CAL guys. I know that EWR 737 CA is going very junior, but what is the most junior CA that actually holds a line? I'll bet there are quite a few fellas holding out for a line. I'm not sure I would want to upgrade and sit reserve for 6 years in EWR doing EWR-FL turns. I think the most junior MD-88 CA at DAL is a 98 hire. Give DAL two more years, and the guys they are just now hiring will hold MD-88 CA in JFK. Making your choice based on upgrade times probably isn't a good strategy. I will say the retirements and 737 #'s the next couple of years at CAL are very impressive even if you don't want to go to CAL. I would go to DAL because of the better pay, insurance, contract, and bases. You get nearly twice the pay first year and insurance at DAL. I haven't run the numbers, but I'd also bet your career earnings would be better at DAL than at CAL. Both good airlines, and if your biggest problem in life is deciding which of these two places to go work for, you need more problems. Good luck on the decision.

Latest resources

Back