Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta new hire class makeup going forward...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I keep on flying with FO's who are saying that Delta now prefers high time FO's.

That can't be true, can it?

In the end, it isn't going to matter, as there will be plenty of opportunity for everyone, regardless of seat. Get the app ready, hone up on the knowledge skills, and prep. If you wish to make the jump, I'd say you won't have an issue obtaining an interview. However, it doesn't guarantee the job.

I've heard about "moldability" and "trainability" when it comes to high timed pilots. However, I thnk things are a bit different now, as the age 65 change has stapled 5 years of complete stagnation on to a large percentage of DCI pilots. The result is that the majority of us now have 4k or more hours that we'd rather not have at the regional level.

I've known many First Officers that have moved on, but they have all had a former background at DAL in various other departments there. I think this is their "in", so to speak. However, I'm not sure it is the "norm" or DAL's "preference" to hire First Officers. All I know is that I know way more former Captains that have moved on, than I know of First Officers. In the end, I believe it is heavily dependant on your networking skills, regardless of seat.

I'd be kind of surprised if many of those guys come back. I know a few are planning to, but I wouldn't expect more than 50 or so at the most. I think the rest have moved on to other things.

I think more will come back than you think, I know a couple who are just waiting for the newhire classes to resume. They havn't had the option since when, 2007? 5 yrs has changed the outlook for many. Regardless, I think the extension offered during the NWA merger will run out in the next year or so, so we shall know soon enough.

Also, there are quite a few on longterm military leave which will be coming up on their 5 yr point and will have to return to DAL. Regardless, I can't recall, what does a newhire class at DAL look like?

In the end, it isn't going to matter, as there will be plenty of opportunity for everyone, regardless of seat. Get the app ready, hone up on the knowledge skills, and prep. If you wish to make the jump, I'd say you won't have an issue obtaining an interview. However, it doesn't guarantee the job.

I've heard about "moldability" and "trainability" when it comes to high timed pilots. However, I thnk things are a bit different now, as the age 65 change has stapled 5 years of complete stagnation on to a large percentage of DCI pilots. The result is that the majority of us now have 4k or more hours that we'd rather not have at the regional level.

I've known many First Officers that have moved on, but they have all had a former background at DAL in various other departments there. I think this is their "in", so to speak. However, I'm not sure it is the "norm" or DAL's "preference" to hire First Officers. All I know is that I know way more former Captains that have moved on, than I know of First Officers. In the end, I believe it is heavily dependant on your networking skills, regardless of seat.

Thank you.

I think more will come back than you think, I know a couple who are just waiting for the newhire classes to resume. They havn't had the option since when, 2007? 5 yrs has changed the outlook for many. Regardless, I think the extension offered during the NWA merger will run out in the next year or so, so we shall know soon enough.

Also, there are quite a few on longterm military leave which will be coming up on their 5 yr point and will have to return to DAL. Regardless, I can't recall, what does a newhire class at DAL look like?

They had the option in 2010-we hired then as well, but maybe you're right.

For most mil guys the 5 year limit is moot since most of those guys were on "war" orders... if the country is at war (war on terror) then those orders don't count towards the 5 year limit.

tail

Latest resources

Back