• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta MEC approves Labor Deal, next up--NWA MEC...article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of course, then you have to throw in the amount of negotiating capital it took to bring the NWA pilots to parity, the staffing formula which allows 2-400 more NWA pilots to stay on the property, a snapshot of the rates on these widebody aircraft to determine career earnings on the day of announcement, etc, etc, etc. We can go on and on with these games all day.

The point was, the generalization that DAL flies larger aircraft out of better places is only one's opinion. Just presenting some facts. Not looking for an argument.

I know some DAL pilots feel NWA is clearly a lessor company employing inferior pilots.

Schwanker

Location is dependent on the person. I have zero desire to move south. You likely have zero desire to move north. This doesn't make Atlanta better than Minneapolis. I would argue the other direction and we'd get nowhere. It's completely subjective.

The largest 73 aircraft of the merged company? I've considered all aircraft with max TOGW over 500K.

NWA 16 747-400s
NWA 15 747-200s (13 freighter + charter AC--I believe it's 2)
DAL 10 777s
NWA 32 A330s (The oldest being delivered in 2002)

Of the largest 73 aircraft on the property in the merged carrier, 63 are coming from NWA's fleet. When GL comes on here about firm 8 firm 777 orders, we can throw in the 18 firm 787 orders and so on..... Both sides bring real iron to the fire. Somehow, the NWA stuff is always inferior.

Why did you stop at 500k??? You do realize that your count just happens to include every single wide body NW has on the property. Why not count all the widebodies? Especially since the payscale of the 767-400 as well as the 767-300 ( you can leave out the 757 even though it pays the same) is on par with even your smallest widebody the A330.

Last edited:
Location is dependent on the person. I have zero desire to move south. You likely have zero desire to move north. This doesn't make Atlanta better than Minneapolis. I would argue the other direction and we'd get nowhere. It's completely subjective.

The largest 73 aircraft of the merged company? I've considered all aircraft with max TOGW over 500K.

NWA 16 747-400s
NWA 15 747-200s (13 freighter + charter AC--I believe it's 2)
DAL 10 777s
NWA 32 A330s (The oldest being delivered in 2002)

Of the largest 73 aircraft on the property in the merged carrier, 63 are coming from NWA's fleet. When GL comes on here about firm 8 firm 777 orders, we can throw in the 18 firm 787 orders and so on..... Both sides bring real iron to the fire. Somehow, the NWA stuff is always inferior.

You are right, by next year (probably before the SLI is complete) we will have more 777s than you have 744s (18 vs 16, and RA says we will be getting a total of 26), and the 787 orders are still up in the air from what I have heard. You do bring in some big equipment, but some may be leaving if oil doesn't abate. (742s) Regardless, we will be better as a whole after we merge. I think it will be a good thing. Fences may be smart, too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The point was, the generalization that DAL flies larger aircraft out of better places is only one's opinion. Just presenting some facts. Not looking for an argument.

I know some DAL pilots feel NWA is clearly a lessor company employing inferior pilots.

Schwanker

That is ridiculous. I think we are all alike mostly, except you guys wear jackets longer and say "a boat" instead of "about". I think together we will be a good fit, eventually.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Schwanker

I agree that some throw in that stupid, useless, 4 year degree thing into the mix to try and make themselves feel better. Personally, I look forward to a bit more militant--not to be confused with "military"--mix to our ranks. I've done both Europe and the PAC rim. I'll take Europe ANY day of the week and twice on sunday. To say the least, it will be a very interesting SLI. I just read something about the DC getting phased in for the NWA pilots from our chair. Didn't get a good look at it, and I may have read it wrong. I am sure somebody will post it.

I've got some bad news for all you B787 haters...our first B787 flight simulator is being installed at the NW training facility today. It's hard to believe that anyone would cancel an order of the most advanced and fuel efficient aircraft ever to be made during these times, especially after purchasing a $20 million simulator.

See press release below:

787 Flight Simulator Arrives at MSP Training Center

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner simulator has arrived at Building N Training Center. Trucks containing the device and its components are staged at the Building N parking lot. On Wednesday, mechanical riggings will be used to carefully hoist the device into the simulator bay, which has had its outside wall removed in anticipation of delivery.

The new 787 simulator delivered to Building N is in addition to two previously delivered flat-panel trainers. The devices are part of the overall hands-on training experience for pilots who will train on the revolutionary new aircraft.

You are right, by next year (probably before the SLI is complete) we will have more 777s than you have 744s (18 vs 16, and RA says we will be getting a total of 26), and the 787 orders are still up in the air from what I have heard. You do bring in some big equipment, but some may be leaving if oil doesn't abate. (742s) Regardless, we will be better as a whole after we merge. I think it will be a good thing. Fences may be smart, too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I've got some bad news for all you B787 haters...our first B787 flight simulator is being installed at the NW training facility today. It's hard to believe that anyone would cancel an order of the most advanced and fuel efficient aircraft ever to be made during these times, especially after purchasing a $20 million simulator.

See press release below:

787 Flight Simulator Arrives at MSP Training Center

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner simulator has arrived at Building N Training Center. Trucks containing the device and its components are staged at the Building N parking lot. On Wednesday, mechanical riggings will be used to carefully hoist the device into the simulator bay, which has had its outside wall removed in anticipation of delivery.

The new 787 simulator delivered to Building N is in addition to two previously delivered flat-panel trainers. The devices are part of the overall hands-on training experience for pilots who will train on the revolutionary new aircraft.

I think the 787 could be great, but after hearing that RA may not like it IF the eventual weight is higher that originally advertised and the efficiencies aren't there, then the whole thing is suspect. It is great that the sim is ready, but if the weight issue isn't resolved, then you never know..... We shall see... I hope to see that 787 in DL colors, no doubt.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Dude,
MSP ain't that bad, it can actually be fun if you let your hair down and leave the preconcieved notions at the door. Besides... beers cold. And this is coming from a guy who lives in the Northeast.

...beer is cold,the chicks are warm, hockey is on 75% of the channels, ice fishing passes the time, etc... I think many of you southerners are going to like it. You may actually end up moving north.

Dude,
MSP ain't that bad, it can actually be fun if you let your hair down and leave the preconcieved notions at the door. Besides... beers cold. And this is coming from a guy who lives in the Northeast.

Latest resources

Back