• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Delta pilot leaders approve labor deal for NWA merger

Agreement still needs OK from airlines' rank and file

By KELLY YAMANOUCHI
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
06/26/08

Leaders of Delta Air Lines' pilots union voted Wednesday to approve a tentative Delta-Northwest pilot labor
agreement.

Northwest Airlines' pilots union leadership will vote on the tentative agreement during a meeting Thursday and
Friday. It also is subject to ratification by rank-and-file pilots at each airline. The vote was part of a
continuing effort to resolve differences between the two airlines' pilot groups on seniority and pay parity.

Those key issues halted negotiations between the pilots of Atlanta-based Delta and Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest in
the weeks before the airlines' mid-April merger announcement.

Seniority determines a variety of factors, including which planes pilots qualify to fly. It also can affect pay.

Delta pilots worry their existing senior status could erode depending on how they combine with the Northwest pilots,
who are older and more experienced, on average.

But the Delta pilots are better-paid than those at Northwest, and the Northwest pilots want to ensure their pay will
be bumped to Delta's level.

The tentative agreement would bring Northwest's pilot pay to that level, said Lee Moak, chairman of Delta's master
executive council.

"It's the same pay on Day One," said Moak, who plans to travel to Minnesota on Thursday to meet with Northwest pilot
union leaders.

The tentative agreement also includes 4 percent to 5 percent pay raises from 2009 through 2012 and equity in the
combined company for Delta and Northwest pilots.

On seniority integration, the pilot union leaders agreed to set up a process for reaching consensus. If the pilot
unions do not reach agreement by a set deadline, then the details will be worked out through binding arbitration
before the merger closes.

Delta's pilot union leaders voted unanimously for the tentative agreement, a longtime Delta pilot said.

"It is a great deal for Delta," the pilot said. "The Northwest pilots do indeed have pay parity, and that's what
they wanted to hear coming out of this deal."

Delta pilots won't be taking a pay cut to bring Northwest pilots up to the same pay rate, the pilot said.

The pilot said both pilot groups lost equity in the proposed new airline by not agreeing to a deal before the merger
was announced. Nevertheless, the pilot called the new agreement "an all-around good deal."

If ratified, the tentative agreement would clear a major hurdle toward the proposed merger by ensuring pilots from
both airlines operate under the same contract in a merged company.

Pilot disputes have hobbled past airline mergers, notably the 2005 combination of US Airways and America West. Those
pilots still work under separate contracts, hampering the merged airline's full operational integration.

"There's this perception that airline mergers don't work" because of labor issues, said Mike Campbell, Delta's
executive vice president for human resources, labor and communications. "We wanted to change the paradigm" by
reaching a pilots agreement before the deal closes.

The tentative joint contract is different from a labor agreement ratified by Delta's pilots in May, but it is based
on that agreement, according to the Delta pilots union.

That agreement also included annual pay raises of 4 percent to 5 percent and a 3.5 percent equity stake for Delta
pilots in the combined company.

The joint contract, if ratified, would become the pilot contract for the combined carrier.

The pilots agreement allows Delta management to speed up efficiencies in scheduling, operations and its combined
fleet of aircraft, according to a report Wednesday from CreditSuisse analyst Daniel McKenzie.

Even if the Delta and Northwest pilots agree to a joint contract, the airlines have work to do to get their proposed
deal done by the end of the year, as executives have forecast.

Regulators must give the OK. Delta and Northwest filed Tuesday for European Union regulatory approval of their
proposed combination.

The merger also is being reviewed by the U.S. Department of Justice. On Wednesday, U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl (D-Wis.)
issued a statement urging the Justice Department to "closely examine" the proposed merger's effects on Midwest
Airlines, partially owned by Northwest and based in Oak Creek, Wis.

Shareholders also must approve the merger, which has lost about half its value since first announced April 14.

Delta's proposed all-stock purchase of Northwest fell to a value of $1.74 billion Wednesday. Delta shares closed up
slightly at $5.31. Northwest gained 2.7 percent to close at $6.08.

The deal calls for each share of Northwest to be exchanged for 1.25 Delta shares

That Delta pilot says "It's a great deal for Delta." Does that mean not for the Delta pilots? Fruedian Slip?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Based on the article looks like we got LOA19 rates & the equity, which is about the best I'd hoped for considering fuel & the economy. The additional 2 777's are GREAT news, I'd been holding my breath hoping against an announcement of suspension of deliveries and orders. Makes sense though to continue to expand internationally and hold the line as much as we can domestically while everyone else shrinks to oblivion in a vain attempt to shrink to profitability. Will be interesting to see if our hiring plans for the fall/winter is a go ahead once sli is completed and the airframes are delivered. Personally hoping for NO fences/base freezes beyond a reasonable time frame/limit.....gotta 330 with my name on it:)

Oh hell no, far from it.....350'ish from the bottom....I fully expect at least 10-15 years before SEA330, BUT...excited about the prospect of not commuting my last 10 years of working....and FULLY realize the could very well not happen at all......but still nice to fantasize about:)

Personally hoping for NO fences/base freezes beyond a reasonable time frame/limit.....gotta 330 with my name on it:)

You may want to re-evaluate your stance there. You'd probably be the only guy under 55 in SEA if you ever got there. A guarantee of status quo for the next several years will go along way to ease the uncertainty for a lot here at DL. Stepping on some toes here I know but, we generally fly bigger (read higher paying) equipment from better locations. DL 10 years from now will have junior bases in DTW, MSP, and JFK. Senior bases in SEA, SLC, LAX, and ATL. Without fences, guys in current DL bases will see their seniority slip bid after bid creating a very unhappy work environment, in my opinion..

Fences and a mechanism to keep the company from moving equipment for a specified period will be necessary if most of us want to retain our QOL here at all. The only control at all over that may be to vote down the TA until we see the total package.

There's no reason at all to not vote on the the contract/SLI package unless you're management and want to eliminate any bumps in the process.

Last edited:
Noserider:

It isn't really a contract/SLI package, more of a contract and methodology.

I'll have to get the answers to many questions about section 1 before casting my vote.

Waiting to see the details.

Last edited:
Noserider:

It isn't really a contract/SLI package, more of a contract and methodology.

I'll have to get the answers to many questions about section 1 before casting my vote.

Waiting to see the details.

I agree but I'm saying there is no reason to vote on this TA separately from a complete SLI, not a methodolgy. We should all be able to see exactly how we are affected by both before we vote.

Agreed 100%

What is in Section 1 will be "the plan" to deal with the DC9 refugees. It ALL hinges on whether those guys fly the airplanes that replace theirs, or if they come over and bump us.

Scope is THE reason to tie the contract to the SLI.

I'm spending today trying to figure out if we should go full tilt to engage Delta pilots on this subject and still probably lose.

The NWA pilots will ratify this thing in the high nineties while complaining at every step. 60% of the Delta pilots will vote based on well earned confidence in their MEC and Reps. The 20% around the margin will make the difference.

We will have to read and understand Section 1 before making a decision.

Stepping on some toes here I know but, we generally fly bigger (read higher paying) equipment from better locations.

Location is dependent on the person. I have zero desire to move south. You likely have zero desire to move north. This doesn't make Atlanta better than Minneapolis. I would argue the other direction and we'd get nowhere. It's completely subjective.

The largest 73 aircraft of the merged company? I've considered all aircraft with max TOGW over 500K.

NWA 16 747-400s
NWA 15 747-200s (13 freighter + charter AC--I believe it's 2)
DAL 10 777s
NWA 32 A330s (The oldest being delivered in 2002)

Of the largest 73 aircraft on the property in the merged carrier, 63 are coming from NWA's fleet. When GL comes on here about firm 8 firm 777 orders, we can throw in the 18 firm 787 orders and so on..... Both sides bring real iron to the fire. Somehow, the NWA stuff is always inferior.

Last edited:
Location is dependent on the person. I have zero desire to move south. You likely have zero desire to move north. This doesn't make Atlanta better than Minneapolis. I would argue the other direction and we'd get nowhere. It's completely subjective.

The largest 73 aircraft of the merged company? I've considered all aircraft with max TOGW over 500K.

NWA 16 747-400s
NWA 15 747-200s (13 freighter + charter AC--I believe it's 2)
DAL 10 777s
NWA 32 A330s (The oldest being delivered in 2002)

Of the largest 73 aircraft on the property in the merged carrier, 63 are coming from NWA's fleet. When GL comes on here about firm 8 firm 777 orders, we can throw in the 18 firm 787 orders and so on..... Both sides bring real iron to the fire. Somehow, the NWA stuff is always inferior.

Of course, then you have to throw in the amount of negotiating capital it took to bring the NWA pilots to parity, the staffing formula which allows 2-400 more NWA pilots to stay on the property, a snapshot of the rates on these widebody aircraft to determine career earnings on the day of announcement, etc, etc, etc. We can go on and on with these games all day.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back