• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta MEC approves Labor Deal, next up--NWA MEC...article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Location is dependent on the person. I have zero desire to move south. You likely have zero desire to move north. This doesn't make Atlanta better than Minneapolis. I would argue the other direction and we'd get nowhere. It's completely subjective.

The largest 73 aircraft of the merged company? I've considered all aircraft with max TOGW over 500K.

NWA 16 747-400s
NWA 15 747-200s (13 freighter + charter AC--I believe it's 2)
DAL 10 777s
NWA 32 A330s (The oldest being delivered in 2002)

Of the largest 73 aircraft on the property in the merged carrier, 63 are coming from NWA's fleet. When GL comes on here about firm 8 firm 777 orders, we can throw in the 18 firm 787 orders and so on..... Both sides bring real iron to the fire. Somehow, the NWA stuff is always inferior.
Shwank: Somehow, the DL 767's are always left out by you guys, why is that? I mean, that's only 101 International flying wide body aircraft that PAY virtually the same or better than your a-330's, it shouldn't skew your numbers too much. So let's re-do your statement based on widebody aircraft: "Of the largest 174 aircraft on the property in the merged carrier, 63 are coming from NWA's fleet" That doesn't count, of course, our 136 757's. Gosh Shwank, think of it! Did you know that DAL brings to the merger 237 aircraft that pay the same as your 32 a-330's! Now, I know that probably doesn't impress you,(it should, you will directly benefit from it.) but think how impressed you would be if I told you---"Shwank, DAL brings to the merger 32 widebody aircraft that pay the same as your 237 a-330's/757's!" No, Schwank, your equipment is not inferior, they're great aircraft! But your "stuff" is inferior- in pay and numbers of widebody aircraft.

NWA MEC approval??

I believe NWA MEC was supposed to meet today towards approving the joint contract...did anybody hear anything yet?

I believe NWA MEC was supposed to meet today towards approving the joint contract...did anybody hear anything yet?

Waiting patiently :nuts: Nothing yet i am assuming we will get something tonight.

My certainty that the Delta pilots will ratify this is beginning to slip to a mere probability.

There may be some real good reasons to try to stop this. For starters, the absence of any discussion of scope in the Chairman's Letter leaves me wondering if scope was a priority.

We need a plan to deal with the DC9 displacements.

We need to understand the SLI before we vote on a contract.

The SLI determines what the contract means. Particularly in the area of scope. We have scope triggers that depend on certain pilot's seniority which is now, unknown.

Lots of questions, few answers, the next few weeks will be informative. I would prefer that we table the contract until after the SLI.

Last edited:
Fins,

Were you not one of the rjdc guys? If so, why are you so concerned with scope now? I thought scope was a bad thing and was harmful to fellow union members? Could it be you are on the other side now and acting somewhat hypocritical?

My certainty that the Delta pilots will ratify this is beginning to slip to a mere probability.

There may be some real good reasons to try to stop this. For starters, the absence of any discussion of scope in the Chairman's Letter leaves me wondering if scope was a priority.

The SLI determines what the contract means. Particularly in the area of scope. We have scope triggers that depend on certain pilot's seniority which is now, unknown.

Lots of questions, few answers, the next few weeks will be informative. I would prefer that we table the contract until after the SLI.

Lots of questions, few answers, the next few weeks will be informative.

I agree SCOPE is a huge issue. Hopefully there is something in the agreement that will take issue of this. However i dont see either side not approving this. Look at the rest of the industry right now, WE as a new company NEED to get this done to ensure our best shot at coming out ahead. Look at USAIR they are burning through cash and the company isnt running very good at all mainly because of the merger that went down the wrong road. ON top of that $140 a barrel today for oil!! We are in a much better position than the rest of the industry and this might be our only opportunity to maintain an upper hand with this negotiation. You have good guys working on your behalf just as we do and i am sure cooler heads will prevail just as they did with the joint contract. We are in a much better position than most in this industry lets hope we stay that way.

Cobra:

Yes, me, my MEC Chair, ALPA Committee Chairs and Volunteers. You probably are one of the plethora of folks who did (do) not understand the solutions would have made scope stronger. ALPA getting scope that binds parent companies was a big step in the right direction. Unfortunately it was too little too late to stop the majority of the outsourcing. (try not to get me and Joe Merchant confused - he just hates ALPA. He is not representative of what the RJDC was trying to accomplish)

My opinion since the 1980's was that all Delta flying should be performed by Delta pilots. I've been very consistent. I disagreed with the sale of scope and actions to prevent ASA and Comair from getting their own scope.

Currently the Delta MEC has been holding the line and I'm supportive of those who work to represent us. However, I'll push for taking it back at every opportunity.

At it's core, our union has to be about bringing pilots together to negotiate collectively - otherwise it is pointless.

~~~^~~~

Super92:

They can merge the operation without a joint contract. We can do the SLI, then the contract. Heck, that's ALPA's merger policy.

If we knew the SLI our negotiating priorities might be better and we would be better able to negotiate what we need - issues like scope, commuting, relocation, displacement bidding and furlough - all issues that we might take more seriously if we knew that we were effected.

Last edited:
Schwanker:

You should be concerned. However, the 767 displacements will be to a mainline jet. The DC9 replacements will be off the list.

Latest resources

Back