Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mmmmmm Burritos

Where mah dogs at?
What's up with that MD-11 with the structure over the right wing at ATL in the NW corner of the airport. What building is that, tech ops? It's been there over a year I think. I heard it had an engine fire, I heard it's being scrapped; what's the real story?

MX was starting it up one night and the engine caught fire...it did alot of damage to the wing...I'm not sure what the status is on it.

Speaking about ATL...you guys know what will happen to the NWA 9 facilities since it closed?

Delta mech told me a flight crew was trying to start #3 several times and during the 3rd attempt a mech on the flight deck selected ignition 'b' after they had dumped a bunch of fuel in it and it lit right up!! Lucky they didn't blow the wing off. Just what I was told.

mx doing an nengine run afte replacing the engine. Wired it incorrectly and it caught fire burnijng through the wing spar. Was being used as a parts bird but has since been under a make-shift tent to repair the damaged spar. I guess someone decdied to buy that thing!

Sinca3 said:
mx doing an nengine run afte replacing the engine. Wired it incorrectly and it caught fire burnijng through the wing spar. Was being used as a parts bird but has since been under a make-shift tent to repair the damaged spar. I guess someone decdied to buy that thing!

I doubt if the main spar was comprimised. If that happens, the wing is junk- there's no way to repair it. I doubt if it's even being reinforced- it's questionable if any such repair scheme would be approved by MDD and the FAA. I sure as heck wouldn't fly it!

Last time I was in ATL I saw that old white 737 hulk over beside the (closed) NWA maintenance hangar.

If memory serves, that was the (original) Airtran that lost hydraulics and nearly hit the Delta jet base, seems like about 1999.

Man, those folks were lucky - there was a pile of dirt from construction and they hit it. Otherwise it would have been downhill all the way to the Delta hangars. I taxied by it right after it happened.

Md 11

The story is that the engine did catch on fire. This occurred about two years ago. The thing has been tied up in litigation to determine fault. The last I heard it has been determined that P&W was at fault for the way the engine was preserved after overhaul. The engie had just been placed on the airplane. When the MTC crew started it, it caught on fire. I don't know who is doing the work but Delta is not paying for it. The good ole boys at Delta know something about running an airline. It's the yankees and Harvard MBAs that scewed things up when they came in.

Latest resources

Back