• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Jumpseat Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, I fear many of you have been given incorrect information.

Only pilots at their own company or those at wholly owned subsidiaries of a company may occupy the cockpit jumpseat. This is from the FAA. The reason is that you can't verify the jumpseater's employment otherwise; they want a computer database.
ACA pilots can not occupy the Delta, Comair, or ASA jumpseats, and none of us can occupy yours. This is because you are not wholly owned by Delta.
Supposedly, Skywest can occupy all Delta family jumpseats and vice versa now due to their new IDs, but I have heard many stories of Delta and ASA pilots being denied the jumpseat on SKW lately. Maybe Andy Neill can shed some light on that one. I'd hate to see the SKW pilots in DFW getting denied jumpseats while commuting.

Our information is correct. If you fly the 328 at ACA, you are in DAL's computer system and are allowed to J/S in the cockpit of DAL (and I assume DCI), just as you can on our Delta a/c.

Now there is speculation as to why only 328 pilots. The general concensus (sp?) is because all 328 pilots have the potential to fly DALCON trips, unlike CRJ or J41 pilots, and that is the reason DAL only allowed 328 pilots to be put in the system.

Apparently at Skywest, all pilots, regardless of a/c, have the potential to fly Dalcon trips, so all of their pilots are allowed to J/S in the cockpit.

The reason we can do it is because of our PPR card, aka Delta ID. They can verify our employment through our pass privilleges. If you guys have a PPR card now, then that explains why only the Dork Jet pilots get to ride... CRJ and J41 don't fly for Delta and don't get pass bennies on Delta. That's your company's decision.

If you can J/S on us now, then maybe someone should let us know. We haven't seen a memo yet and until we do, nothing has changed. We did get a memo that Skywest is allowed now.

ifly4food,

You said: "Only pilots at their own company or those at wholly owned subsidiaries of a company may occupy the cockpit jumpseat. This is from the FAA."

This statement is incorrect. ACA pilots, regardless of aircraft type flown, have been allowed access to the UAL JS for some time now. Obviously ACA is not UAL and ACA is not a wholly owned subsidiary of any airline but we are all allowed in UAL's JS.

The PPR card gets the wholly owned (I think) the ability to write your own passes on Delta - we do not have that at ACA which is why y'all can ride for free on us but we have to pay to ride on you. As of May 28th, the paperwork went through saying ACA (Delta Connection side for now) had access to the Delta jumpseat in the cockpit exactly like SkyWest - that's coming from our chief pilot.

At SkyWest We can use the actual(assuming in these stories above the PIC says yes) in both UAL and Delta. The reason is that oue emploment can be varrified by both UAL computers and Deltas computers. About the specific stories out there about Delta didn't let me do this and United said no. Well it depends on the gate agent. Sometimes they seem to not get the latest memo. At SkyWest we are very open with are jump seats except 1 rule.... The Emb-120 no one, not the Secret service or the FAA can use the actual jumop seat because in flight the door can not shut with actual occupied. But as long as we have seats open in both the RJ and EMB then we take as many as seat available. The RJ we do allow Delta, and UAL. Infact on this 4 day trip we have taken an Eagle, 2 USair, Mesa, Cont. and one Frontier FA. Also keep in mind some of our RJ's are some older Comair ones(oops, opened a can of worms here) that have a tighter weight restriction, so some times we cann't get 50 pax, all baggage and fuel to traverse the mid-west afternoon storms and still get the jumper on. If you ever have a problem at the gate don't give up go over and ask a SkyWest pilot to help you out, we will.

Latest resources

Back